Sumter 0 Oceanside 28

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Sumter 0 Oceanside 28

Post by bbrown1240 »

Classic example of winning games up front. Depleted on the offensive line so bad right now we can’t snap the ball. I actually expected a performance like this against Summerville but it came tonight. We got whipped…no excuses. Credit Oceanside. Moved the ball some but killed ourselves with penalties and bad snaps once we got across the 50. We look like a JV team playing varsity right now, but came out of this stretch 2-1 which is what I predicted. Though we are young, plays are there to be made…we just have to grow up and make them. Schedule lightens up going into region play next week but facing the third straight team that will have 2 weeks to prepare for us. We should be okay but we have to figure out a way to snap the ball, eliminate the penalties, and generate some pass rush.

SHS Gamecock Fan
Sumter Gamecocks

Re: Sumter 0 Oceanside 28

Post by SHS Gamecock Fan »

bbrown1240 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 pm
Classic example of winning games up front. Depleted on the offensive line so bad right now we can’t snap the ball. I actually expected a performance like this against Summerville but it came tonight. We got whipped…no excuses. Credit Oceanside. Moved the ball some but killed ourselves with penalties and bad snaps once we got across the 50. We look like a JV team playing varsity right now, but came out of this stretch 2-1 which is what I predicted. Though we are young, plays are there to be made…we just have to grow up and make them. Schedule lightens up going into region play next week but facing the third straight team that will have 2 weeks to prepare for us. We should be okay but we have to figure out a way to snap the ball, eliminate the penalties, and generate some pass rush.
Sumter's defense and special teams (which is our best offense) could not score points to win. Again this year which has been the problem lately, we have no offense and the offense is so predictable. We have no down field passing game. Anybody that can stop the run and put up more than 21 points can beat us. I think we are just content on being the city champs ( beating Crestwood and Lakewood) and winning the Horry County region which is never that good. I know we are young and have some injuries but if the offense continues to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and as you say look unprepared like a JV team then you have to start looking at the coaches. They are responsible for having the team prepared. We couldn't even snap the ball to the QB and have been running the same plays for the last 5 years. I can tell you what play is about to be ran on every snap. Now if I can do this, you know other teams that have film knows what's coming. Ocean Side knew exactly what plays we were running.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Oceanside is a very good team. But Sumter should never be shutout in any game with the talent they have. I mean never!

Mbfootballfan
Myrtle Beach Seahawks

Post by Mbfootballfan »

With everything that’s being said maybe the region championship is up for grabs. I just always assumed that Sumter would not be challenged.

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

Coach Barnes will have that job as long as he wants. I feel he and his staff have done an excellent job coaching this group as I planned on us being closer to .500 at this point in the season. I trust the coaching staff, but I agree they need to take some responsibility, but I am also a realist. Players have to be disciplined and make plays. Coaches don’t hold, false start, drop passes, or fumble. When the third team center is a senior, he hasn’t played much meaningful football. A big part of the reason we look look like a JV team is because outside of the DBs, there is not much experience on the field, especially playing a bunch of sophomores. The need reps…and a humbling loss. But we shouldn’t have been shut out. I like our QB Pate Merchant. He has an arm. I would say we need at least 15 throws per game. More quick game and RPOs. We’re a power run team, but we don’t have power personnel size wise this year. We’re going to have to get more dynamic. I wish we wouldn’t look back so much and go more tempo. Just line up, run the play, and dare them to stop it. As much as we look back, we might as well just huddle up. Look back should be used in conjunction with tempo. Can’t help what region we’re in. We’ll see what the region has to offer.

SHS Gamecock Fan
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by SHS Gamecock Fan »

bbrown1240 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:18 am
Coach Barnes will have that job as long as he wants. I feel he and his staff have done an excellent job coaching this group as I planned on us being closer to .500 at this point in the season. I trust the coaching staff, but I agree they need to take some responsibility, but I am also a realist. Players have to be disciplined and make plays. Coaches don’t hold, false start, drop passes, or fumble. When the third team center is a senior, he hasn’t played much meaningful football. A big part of the reason we look look like a JV team is because outside of the DBs, there is not much experience on the field, especially playing a bunch of sophomores. The need reps…and a humbling loss. But we shouldn’t have been shut out. I like our QB Pate Merchant. He has an arm. I would say we need at least 15 throws per game. More quick game and RPOs. We’re a power run team, but we don’t have power personnel size wise this year. We’re going to have to get more dynamic. I wish we wouldn’t look back so much and go more tempo. Just line up, run the play, and dare them to stop it. As much as we look back, we might as well just huddle up. Look back should be used in conjunction with tempo. Can’t help what region we’re in. We’ll see what the region has to offer.
I agree that Coach Barnes has done a good job. The talent level on this team is lower than usual for some reason. I can't ever remember a Sumter team having so many sophomores playing on varsity. I think what really is hurting the program is that we have gotten rid of the B-team. The B-Team really gave the 9th graders more playing experience and helped them get more prepared especially playing on the 5A level.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

bbrown1240 wrote:
Yall will come around .
I heard parents bitching about coaching in our stands .I got no f to give .
Like I told them it's same coaches it ain't always them.

I hear my kids great .nothing wring with supporting your child. But quit telling that kid how good he is
Tellem he needs to work harder learning the skill it takes to use the talent he has .blowing smoke up his ass does no one any good.

Gotta study film listen to coach keep working it'll come.

In our case we were young and not ready. It's a big jump.

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

SHS Gamecock Fan wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:43 am
bbrown1240 wrote:
I agree that Coach Barnes has done a good job. The talent level on this team is lower than usual for some reason. I can't ever remember a Sumter team having so many sophomores playing on varsity. I think what really is hurting the program is that we have gotten rid of the B-team. The B-Team really gave the 9th graders more playing experience and helped them get more prepared especially playing on the 5A level.
I knew we were in trouble when our top 2 running backs are sophomores. You see the potential but they don’t have that varsity breakaway speed yet. John Peeples is going to be really good and will be the feature back. Kam Fortune reminds me of Tony Dinkins-McCall from a couple years back. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him split out wide a little more. Jerius Williams is going to anchor that o-line for the next couple years. Yeah I wish the would bring the B team back. I believe the region Dutch Fork is in still has B team football. It may be a little extra travel, logistics would be a pain, but I think we could link with that region for some B team games. I remember the tail end of Coach Sorrells’ tenure was rough. Between 2010 and 2012 I think we had 8 wins combined. This is the best 8 year stretch since Tom Lewis. We’ll be fine. Kids and coaches needed that loss. We were overachieving this year in my book. Hopefully we work some things out, get healthy, and not have a letdown in region play.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

People should quit playing the recruiting factories

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

Fortfor5 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am
bbrown1240 wrote:
Yall will come around .
I heard parents bitching about coaching in our stands .I got no f to give .
Like I told them it's same coaches it ain't always them.

I hear my kids great .nothing wring with supporting your child. But quit telling that kid how good he is
Tellem he needs to work harder learning the skill it takes to use the talent he has .blowing smoke up his ass does no one any good.

Gotta study film listen to coach keep working it'll come.

In our case we were young and not ready. It's a big jump.
Nothing but the truth there. Coaches put players in the position to make plays. Players gotta make them. Last Friday was bad. Oceanside is not 28 points better than us, nor should we have been shutout, but I thought Oceanside had a good chance of beating us as I didn’t like the matchups up front on both sides of the ball and that’s what they did. Keep your head down and keep grinding.