Aiken County Football

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
FootballFan59
No Team Affiliation

Aiken County Football

Post by FootballFan59 »

Not much gets talked about on here about the programs in Aiken county. I mean even Greenville county gets talked about, even though most of the time it is negative with how little they care about football. What do you all think of a county that through six weeks the county is 10-29 with the 4A teams sporting a record of 5-18?????? There is some major talent in the area, as well as some good coaches.

greenjewel
Ninety Six Wildcats

Re: Aiken County Football

Post by greenjewel »

FootballFan59 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:16 am
Not much gets talked about on here about the programs in Aiken county. I mean even Greenville county gets talked about, even though most of the time it is negative with how little they care about football. What do you all think of a county that through six weeks the county is 10-29 with the 4A teams sporting a record of 5-18?????? There is some major talent in the area, as well as some good coaches.
Aiken is a coaches graveyard. Has been for years.

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Clinton talking after beating s. Aiken
That might the worst defense in the state.

teacher
No Team Affiliation

Post by teacher »

Aiken used to have some good teams.they played Greenwood 2 years in a row for the 4a championship.Silver bluff was a power house for a few years.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

teacher wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:04 pm
Aiken used to have some good teams.they played Greenwood 2 years in a row for the 4a championship.Silver bluff was a power house for a few years.
As much as a like to remember how good my Greenwood Eagles were back then, unfortunately that was over 20 years ago. Aiken was also very talented back then. Usually North Augusta does well for the region that they're in and teams they play. Not this year. Silver Bluff even. The coach at Greenwood is trying to build back that tradition for us. He's done well the past 2 years but off to a very rough start this year. Aiken and NA needs someone that's an Aiken county guy to bring back the tradition of those late 90s teams for Aiken. Dan Pippin didn't work out for Greenwood but he did really good at North Augusta. I would think NA would go after someone similar to Pippin.

greenjewel
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by greenjewel »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:21 pm
teacher wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:04 pm
As much as a like to remember how good my Greenwood Eagles were back then, unfortunately that was over 20 years ago. Aiken was also very talented back then. Usually North Augusta does well for the region that they're in and teams they play. Not this year. Silver Bluff even. The coach at Greenwood is trying to build back that tradition for us. He's done well the past 2 years but off to a very rough start this year. Aiken and NA needs someone that's an Aiken county guy to bring back the tradition of those late 90s teams for Aiken. Dan Pippin didn't work out for Greenwood but he did really good at North Augusta. I would think NA would go after someone similar to Pippin.
Yep, those were the days. Went by William Perry's house the other day. It's for sale again.

TIM
Strom Thurmond Rebels

Post by TIM »

aiken county is down this year for sure. it's worse than i've ever seen collectively. but been trending that way for some time. ive been told they cannot pay coaches a competitive salary like other counties and the good young coaches don't stay long (b/c they can't afford to).

The1WhoKnows
No Team Affiliation

Post by The1WhoKnows »

Aiken County Public Schools is a dumpster "FIRE!" They don't support teachers, coaches, or athletics.
I took my family out of ACPSD for those reasons.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Damefan »

Booster club has had too much recent say at North Augusta. They tried to emulate the program into what Byrnes did with Bentley, and others have unsuccessfully tried with none having the same success. South Aiken has experience a bit of success over the years, Aiken not so much, Silver Bluff as done well when they had a coach, Midland Valley has seen a few years here and there when they were in the lower classifications, and no comment on Wagner-Salley.

As far as Pippin, he had a great run there and HS career. I wish he had stayed but he is the National Football Coach for Hungary. I believe it would take a coach that has a winning mystique that the players would blindly follow at this point to "quickly" change most any of the Aiken County programs. Beyond that North Augusta got hurt with the opening of Fox Creek and split their talent base. Plus soccer has started to take off in the community as the results have started to show.

I wonder if programs like Greenwood, if they brought back Gene Cathcart would he see the same success as he did previously? Coaches don't forget how to coach, but the culture and priorities of the kids changes. Kids have changed a lot in the past 50+ years. This is a good thought, look at what HOF'er Dr. Jerry is having a deal with down in Berkeley after winning 5 state championships and 300 games.