***Spartanburg @ Gaffney Predictions***

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Scalped07
Gaffney Indians

***Spartanburg @ Gaffney Predictions***

Post by Scalped07 »

Should be a good one at the Reservation this week. Indians are coming off of a 35-31 win over Fort Dorchester followed by a bye week. The Vikings just beat the Rebels. The Indians have started to look a little more like themselves as of late. The Vikings have played well this season. Both have offensive firepower. The old rivalry never disappoints when both teams are clicking. Hopefully the Indians don't come off the bye week flat. If they dont....

My Prediction:
Gaffney - 34
Spartanburg - 28

Go Indians
***Black and Gold***
*Pride and Tradition*
*18 TIME SC STATE CHAMPIONS*

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: ***Spartanburg @ Gaffney Predictions***

Post by DeCav »

Scalped07 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:46 am
Should be a good one at the Reservation this week. Indians are coming off of a 35-31 win over Fort Dorchester followed by a bye week. The Vikings just beat the Rebels. The Indians have started to look a little more like themselves as of late. The Vikings have played well this season. Both have offensive firepower. The old rivalry never disappoints when both teams are clicking. Hopefully the Indians don't come off the bye week flat. If they dont....

My Prediction:
Gaffney - 34
Spartanburg - 28

Go Indians
Scalped07 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:46 am

My Prediction:
Gaffney - 34
Spartanburg - 28

Go Indians
Dang man! I’ve already seen Gaffney and Spartanburg each twice this season. Pretty much decided I’m gonna make it a threefor this Friday and skip the Dorman contest against Mauldin.

This game should be suited for Gaffney in one unique way. Spartanburg can’t hardly get off the ball without a false start, Gaffney has one of the loudest, most loyal fanbases in the state and you’ll be at home. Bring the crowd and bring the noise. The fans on both sides were pretty vanilla Thursday and the Vikes’ oline was still like jumping beans out there which means even if you don’t make enough noise to interfere with the signal calling, you can at least attempt to get in the heads of their oline. And it’ll only ever help inspire your D.

The Viking QB is solid and mobile and has had good protection when the play wasn’t whistled dead. Focus on the RB #20. He’ll cause you the most misery.

Spartanburg will have the edge in coaching so you’ll need some mojo and a little luck. Try and win TOP and control the clock because Hodges displays an innate feel for clock management. The two times I’ve seen the clock bite him, it was by less that a 10 sec differential.

In the south pointe game, Gaffney had abysmal clock management even early. The Indians were going out there on every possession as if they couldn’t wait to give the ball back. A lot of 3 and outs with little time used up. Play clocks with 20 or more seconds left on each play and punt! The D hardly had a chance to catch their breath before they were back out there.

I obviously have no credentials here but I’ve always believed the first set of downs on a drive need to be drawn out so that in the event that you don’t get a first down, you’ve at least chewed some clock and given your D as much time as possible to rest and get some coaching (ahem).

If your oline is dependable, throw hard counts at their defense early and draw them offsides.

I’ve always thought it was curious that an offense will go out and do a few hard counts in short yardage situations.

5 yards is 5 yards whether you get it on 1st down or 4th.

Once you get a first down then rev the engines and speed the drive up if you want.

One thing Bentley was good at was coaching his players to get set as quickly as possible after big plays and get the ball off quick on the ensuing down for a one-two.

Oh and they’re defensive lineman #30 is a freight train. All i can say is good luck with that noise! 😂🤪

The keys to a Spartanburg win are going to be discipline related. Few false starts and no personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct. Some of the Vikings are a little ill tempered and can be drawn into some pushing and shoving. They need to close their ears and get off on the ball instead of getting distracted by the other team after the whistle.

(If I’m Gaffney, I talk as much sht out of ear shot of the referees as possible. The Vikes can be provoked this season.)

Spartanburg is as advertised this season but they still notched 3 losses so they’re beatable but not easily. They need to just keep doing what they’re doing without all the penalties and they should win this game.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SCFootballWatcher
No Team Affiliation

Post by SCFootballWatcher »

Some what good assessment Decav. I disagree with the "Vikings are a little ill tempered and can be drawn into some pushing and shoving" I've saw the Vikings against Byrnes and DF this season and haven't saw this outside of one kid Friday night whom if you watch the coach would constantly grab him to keep him from frustrations. #20 is a special, but I felt that #2 was just as explosive and kept the chains moving in the 2nd half of the game.

For Gaffney they will have to maintain the balance offensively as they had against Fort D and NW. Defense has been solid on stopping teams on 3rd down this season and will need to continue that against the Viking offense.

Playing in Gaffney is always a tough task especially if they game is kept close. However,

Spartanburg 38
Gaffney - 20

likeitRnot
Byrnes Rebels

Post by likeitRnot »

Really a tough one to pick. Spartanburg is battle tested and have played a good region 2 opponent! Gaffney appears to have righted the ship.
Think Burg finds a way at the end.

35 Burg
24 Indians

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

SCFootballWatcher wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 am
I disagree with the "Vikings are a little ill tempered and can be drawn into some pushing and shoving" I've saw the Vikings against Byrnes and DF this season and haven't saw this outside of one kid Friday night...
Not to split hairs, but you don't even know what night it was apparently.

I was on the Viking side with several passionate fans shouting at the Vikes on several occasions to knock it off and get back to the line of scrimmage and comments in the second half that it was getting chippy on the field but maybe we all misinterpreted what we seen. :mrgreen:
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Look for a lot of “Pete’s” penalty flags tonight’s..I can see it getting chippy..it’s Gaffney and Spartanburg..real possibility this one could determine the #1.seed..

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by Noble Savage »

If Spartanburg cleans up self inflicted penalties and red zone scoring they will be fine.

5 trips to red zone w no points against Gaffney? It will be a long night for my Vikings.

SPARTANBURG 32
GAFFNEY 27
My father was Black, my mother was Decker
Believe me my friend, it doesn't get any better
Than rack and pinion reasoning, add a little seasoning
Cook at ninety-eight point six degrees!!

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Seriously though..Pete’s on the BLVD has good food if your eating before the game.. :D

Gaffney 33 Spartanburg 31..

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Good luck to both teams tonight.

Good luck and safe travels. It will be a shame that either team has to lose tonight.