What should Greenwood fans realistically expect from the Eagles this year?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

What should Greenwood fans realistically expect from the Eagles this year?

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

***DISCLAIMER***
ALL OF MY OPPINIONS ARE BASED SOLEY OFF LAST YEARS RESULTS. I HAVEN'T SEEN GREENWOOD THIS YEAR AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT WE HAVE.

My answer: Not much. Last years team failed to meet expectations. Simple as that. People have blamed it on injuries, playing really good teams early, the transfer portal ect. To me those are all excuses. We don't make excuses at Greenwood. Either you win or you lose. Just get it done. We didn't do that. Only team we beat with a winning record last year was Easley and we were lucky to get that one. We played Westside and Hanna decent but the end result was a loss. All other teams that were making a run in the playoffs we got blown out by. Usually to the tune of a running clock. Very embarrassing to say the least. But hey, I'll give credit where credit is due. The Greenville's, Westside's, Hanna's, Dorman's Northwestern's, and South Pointe's were just way better teams. Is what it is.

Was 2022 just a one off year for Greenwood? Maybe. I hope so. There are some that believe the Greenwood job may come back open sooner than later if the "one off years continue". I'll respectfully disagree for now. Liner earned the right to have a "subpar" year by winning a region title and making a playoff run in 2021. However, the standard at Greenwood is to make that kind of run every year. Can Liner get us back to that? I still believe so but we really can't afford to have another "one off year". We just can't. Not saying go undefeated every year but we need to be much more competitive against playoff caliber teams.

I'm not a coach. I don't know anything about what it takes to be a coach. I'm not claiming to know ANYTHING. Only thing I know is what I see on Friday nights. We need to be better because these teams we're playing now are definitely getting better. Teams used to see Greenwood on the schedule and know they needed to bring their A game if they wanted to win. Now they see Greenwood and go "oh it's just Greenwood." We have to fix that and soon! Just my 2. I'll always cheer for Greenwood regardless just like every other Greenwood fan. Doesn't mean we have to accept mediocrity or worse. Getting beat 41-20, 66-7, 42-14, and 50-0 ain't gonna cut it. If we don't tighten up, we'll get drilled by Easley, Westside, and Greenville with a 4th or 5th place finish in region guaranteed. Hopefully we get it together. We were very competitive Liner's 1st 2 years. Need to get back to that and not this running clock because we're getting drilled BS.
Go Eagles.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Re: What should Greenwood fans realistically expect from the Eagles this year?

Post by Damefan »

Merge Emerald with Greenwood and you will definitely be back in the game even at the AAAAA level. Too much overall talent in the community to not succeed. “A house divided will not stand forever” and Greenwood has gone the way so many other powerhouses have once they split. Usually takes 10 years for the results to show up. Regardless I wish your team the best as long as I have family living there and coaching there.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

I am a Greenwood fan and a coach a Liner fan.
Last year when I watched Greenwood play Abbeville
In the Jamboree I posted on here that the Eagles
Looked slow for a Greenwood team.i am not a coach
But I am 76 years old and have played football and
Watched high school football most of my life.in my
Humble opinion you can tell what kind of speed and
Athletes a team has just watching a scrimmage.if the Eagles
Don’t have better in both this year it will be another tough
Season.just my opinion. Go GET’EM EAGLES!

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

DAMN PAPA, U DONT LOOK A DAY OVER 50, GOOD LOOKING.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

Damefan wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:50 am
Merge Emerald with Greenwood and you will definitely be back in the game even at the AAAAA level. Too much overall talent in the community to not succeed. “A house divided will not stand forever” and Greenwood has gone the way so many other powerhouses have once they split. Usually takes 10 years for the results to show up. Regardless I wish your team the best as long as I have family living there and coaching there.
Hate to say it but you're probably right. We used to win consistently and challenge those bigger schools in the late 90s early and 2000s under Dula. Then it continued when Cathcart took over. Even Pippin had a few good years as long as we had a decent QB. But with the transfer portal and teams just being better than we are we've fallen off. I'll reiterate again I'm only going off last year. Liner had acceptable years his first two years. Unfortunately going 11-2 in 2021 to go 4-7 in 2022 is a big fall off. Greenwood could be loaded with talent this year for all I know so I'm not trying to predict the future. I just hope we've gotten better.

As far as combining Greenwood and Emerald..... There have been rumblings about that for years. It's just hard for me to believe they would do that just for football. I personally wouldn't mind it but it's farfetched to actually happen if you ask me. I guess time will tell.

ManigoEra
Greenwood Eagles

Post by ManigoEra »

Hell if you ask me gwood need to open up the transfer portal and change the offense to something more up to date. I know I'm just outside noise but we want to see greenwood successful too! Just sayen......

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

ManigoEra wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:18 am
Hell if you ask me gwood need to open up the transfer portal and change the offense to something more up to date. I know I'm just outside noise but we want to see greenwood successful too! Just sayen......
You can forget about the transfers. If you follow twitter the AD has already stated they don't want to win "that way".

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

96fanatic wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:00 pm
I completely agree. They may have better this year. At least I hope they do.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Damefan wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:50 am
Ain't going to happen. The powers that be want Emerald as a high school. I disagree that Greenwood can't win like it is. 99, 00, 06, 12 Greenwood won state titles separated from Emerald. It also played for titles in 10 and 11. Emerald won one in 98.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:25 am
96fanatic wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:00 pm
I completely agree. They may have better this year. At least I hope they do.
I just read the article in the Index .Coach Liner
said they are changing the offence this year and
are going to make the defense more simple.He
is just as upset as Greenwood fans are about
last year and fans should expect better from Greenwood.
In my opinion if he can't get them turned around he will
leave.