Welcome to SCPreptalk

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: Welcome to SCPreptalk

Post by cavaliereagle »

Glad to see it picking up so well. Just imagine, this is the offseason. It should, hopefully, get even better.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

The MARK ALL THREADS READ button and the VIEW NEW MESSAGES button should be bigger and folks should be educated on using them... To be able to get a list of only new messages since the last time you marked everything as read is a tool that a lot of folks are not used to and do not use like they should.

I love it, but I have to admit, I missed then when I first started because you are looking for 4A or AAAA and that is all you are focusing on...

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I have a suggestion about generating revenue. I don't know what the rules are for advertising or what capabilities the admins have but the problem I have with these google banners and such is that it's a lot more than just an ad consisting of a picture of a company looking for your business. There's all that code running in the background. Go to PFT and click the reply button on a thread and look in the lower left hand corner of your screen and you see all the code loading most of which actually has the word "ad" in it. Even the static pictures slow the site down because you have applications that monitor the clicks and crap.

It's really noticeable on a mobile device. Whenever I try to reply to a post on my ipod or ipad I have simply gotten in the habit of actually stopping the page from loading completely just so I don't have to wait for all the crap to load. The whole page will be loaded from the looks of it but the percentage bar is still only 50% because all the code running in the background for the ads is still loading.

If it's gonna cost $10 a month to upgrade then can we post our own ads? What I have in mind is more like grass roots ad revenue. Some of our members have their own businesses and then there are other businesses that are closely related to the site and or high school football. I wonder if MXDAD would be willing to pay $5 a month to have his tire company advertised on this message board.

And then there are the local establishments that have become legendary that are associated with the members of the board and Friday night football fans like Harold's in Gaffney and Perfectly Franks in Summerville. It seems like a no brainer to advertise Perfectly Franks on the message board for a small fee that helps keep the site running and then the owner down there could even hang a flier somewhere in the restaurant advertising this message board. Fliers for the site posted at business near the stadiums around the state would be a great way to bring in new fans to the site.

If you got 10 businesses paypal-ing the site administrator $2 a month for an ad that cycles on the board then the site stays free, local businesses that host meet and greets get promoted, and the ads don't clog bandwidth because they're just jpg's. Of course if a business has a website you'd have a hyperlink in the ad.

Lemme know what you think and what the limitations are. I haven't read the fine print for the forumatic site yet.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

DeCav,
I have been considering the same thing. The phpBB templates allow the administrator to paste some html code for advertising in the top and bottom banners. From what I can tell, most contract with Google or some other web ad agency and they provide the html code that places the ads in each persons browsers. The site owner only gets a fraction of each ad-click.

I'm sure I know enough html to code a static ad but I'm not sure how to put several into rotation. As luck would have it, my step-son has a BA in Computer Science and programs web based services for a living. I'll ask him. :)

The page count has come back down to 300-400 per day, but I suspect that once football season starts that will change quickly. I could see us racking up several thousand on some Fridays in October & November. I'll worry about that when it happens. If necessary I'll put up a paypal tip jar, and maybe a real one at the Weekend of Champions and Shrine Bowl tailgates. No worries. :D

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

No advertising is permitted on the "free trial" accounts. Once we upgrade, the Advertising html boxes in the Admin Control Panel will be enabled.