Discussion of Forum Rules

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: Forum Rules

Post by cavaliereagle »

SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics. Called a "vanity" because its only purpose seems to be getting that member's name/topic on the front page. Sometimes posted because the member is too excited or too lazy to read-through the existing topics and post a reply.

Example: There are already several topics discussing South Florence's big wins over Northwestern, Greenwood and Goose Creek to reach the Div-II Championship game,.....
< shut up, it's my example > :lol:
...and one of the 30 SF newbies starts a new topic/initial post that says: "SF Defense! - - Has any team ever shut-out all their playoff opponents before?"

I was thinking we should treat a Vanity similarly to an off-category topic, Warn the member and Move the topic. The difference is that the Moderator has a tougher job, they would have to Merge the new topic with an older one. They may have to edit the initial vanity post and any replies so they make sense in the older topic without the subject line that the newbie used.

Some moderators may not feel comfortable with that much editing, we could also Warn & Lock the topic preventing any additional replies.
Or we could just Warn and start issuing temp bans on the 3rd offense.
Or we could do what PFT does: nothing.

I think this is a tough call because it's not necessarily off-category, but when the board is busy it's annoying to wade through multiple discussion topics on the same subject, particularly if some are just one-liners, throwing out an opinion.
These don't really bother me. I feel like that may run some folks off.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

cavaliereagle wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics.
<snip>
These don't really bother me. I feel like that may run some folks off.
Probably right. They usually move on down and off the front page on their own.

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

Do you have tomorrow off?

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

cavaliereagle wrote:Do you have tomorrow off?
No. I'm workin'. Just about to sign off and go to bed.

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

SF Band dad wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:Do you have tomorrow off?
No. I'm workin'. Just about to sign off and go to bed.
I was wondering.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics. Called a "vanity" because its only purpose seems to be getting that member's name/topic on the front page. Sometimes posted because the member is too excited or too lazy to read-through the existing topics and post a reply.

Example: There are already several topics discussing South Florence's big wins over Northwestern, Greenwood and Goose Creek to reach the Div-II Championship game,.....
< shut up, it's my example > :lol:
...and one of the 30 SF newbies starts a new topic/initial post that says: "SF Defense! - - Has any team ever shut-out all their playoff opponents before?"

I was thinking we should treat a Vanity similarly to an off-category topic, Warn the member and Move the topic. The difference is that the Moderator has a tougher job, they would have to Merge the new topic with an older one. They may have to edit the initial vanity post and any replies so they make sense in the older topic without the subject line that the newbie used.

Some moderators may not feel comfortable with that much editing, we could also Warn & Lock the topic preventing any additional replies.
Or we could just Warn and start issuing temp bans on the 3rd offense.
Or we could do what PFT does: nothing.

I think this is a tough call because it's not necessarily off-category, but when the board is busy it's annoying to wade through multiple discussion topics on the same subject, particularly if some are just one-liners, throwing out an opinion.

In this case, it could be a tough call... asking a question like that may be legit, but it may be a vanity post? It sounds like a good question, what if he worded it "What is the record for fewest points allowed in the playoffs?" I got to admit, when threads get hijacked, I quit reading them.... so unless we keep them totally reeled in, how can you warn someone for not reading a bunch of garbage?

Now if it is a total repeat, you may have to do something, but a "HEADS UP, THIS IS A REPEAT THREAD" would be better than "WARNING, THIS THREAD ALREADY EXISTS".

Maybe have moderators do like the cowboys on cattle drives like back in Slicker's day and have moderators ride along nudging them back on topic when they stray.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).
Thanks for the nomination brother. I definitely have plenty of time, and would be happy to help. I like the little moderation idea myself. Some things, they got really carried away with on the other board. What folks say doesn't much bother me. I don't like seeing kids get put down, but i'm pretty tolerable other than that. I would really like to see this board succeed.

Beaudiddley
Silver Bluff Bulldogs

Post by Beaudiddley »

cavaliereagle wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

Thanks for the nomination brother. I definitely have plenty of time, and would be happy to help. I like the little moderation idea myself. Some things, they got really carried away with on the other board. What folks say doesn't much bother me. I don't like seeing kids get put down, but i'm pretty tolerable other than that. I would really like to see this board succeed.
It's a tough job cav.....I am a moderator on another site.....and I had to ban everyone......they kept arguing with me.....so now there's no one but me.......

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

Beaudiddley wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:

It's a tough job cav.....I am a moderator on another site.....and I had to ban everyone......they kept arguing with me.....so now there's no one but me.......
At least no one will know you're talking to yourself. :lol: