Discussion of Forum Rules

Re: Forum Rules

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am

SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics. Called a "vanity" because its only purpose seems to be getting that member's name/topic on the front page. Sometimes posted because the member is too excited or too lazy to read-through the existing topics and post a reply.

Example: There are already several topics discussing South Florence's big wins over Northwestern, Greenwood and Goose Creek to reach the Div-II Championship game,.....
< shut up, it's my example > :lol:
...and one of the 30 SF newbies starts a new topic/initial post that says: "SF Defense! - - Has any team ever shut-out all their playoff opponents before?"

I was thinking we should treat a Vanity similarly to an off-category topic, Warn the member and Move the topic. The difference is that the Moderator has a tougher job, they would have to Merge the new topic with an older one. They may have to edit the initial vanity post and any replies so they make sense in the older topic without the subject line that the newbie used.

Some moderators may not feel comfortable with that much editing, we could also Warn & Lock the topic preventing any additional replies.
Or we could just Warn and start issuing temp bans on the 3rd offense.
Or we could do what PFT does: nothing.

I think this is a tough call because it's not necessarily off-category, but when the board is busy it's annoying to wade through multiple discussion topics on the same subject, particularly if some are just one-liners, throwing out an opinion.

These don't really bother me. I feel like that may run some folks off.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Forum Rules

Postby SF Band dad » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am

cavaliereagle wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics.
<snip>


These don't really bother me. I feel like that may run some folks off.

Probably right. They usually move on down and off the front page on their own.
User avatar
SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm
Location: Florence

Re: Forum Rules

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:13 am

Do you have tomorrow off?
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Forum Rules

Postby SF Band dad » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 am

cavaliereagle wrote:Do you have tomorrow off?

No. I'm workin'. Just about to sign off and go to bed.
User avatar
SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm
Location: Florence

Re: Forum Rules

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 am

SF Band dad wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:Do you have tomorrow off?

No. I'm workin'. Just about to sign off and go to bed.

I was wondering.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Forum Rules

Postby Rebel-Fan-74 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 am

SF Band dad wrote:Vanity Topics - A topic that is in the correct forum and category but is redundant, adds nothing to the forum and could have been posted as a reply on existing topics. Called a "vanity" because its only purpose seems to be getting that member's name/topic on the front page. Sometimes posted because the member is too excited or too lazy to read-through the existing topics and post a reply.

Example: There are already several topics discussing South Florence's big wins over Northwestern, Greenwood and Goose Creek to reach the Div-II Championship game,.....
< shut up, it's my example > :lol:
...and one of the 30 SF newbies starts a new topic/initial post that says: "SF Defense! - - Has any team ever shut-out all their playoff opponents before?"

I was thinking we should treat a Vanity similarly to an off-category topic, Warn the member and Move the topic. The difference is that the Moderator has a tougher job, they would have to Merge the new topic with an older one. They may have to edit the initial vanity post and any replies so they make sense in the older topic without the subject line that the newbie used.

Some moderators may not feel comfortable with that much editing, we could also Warn & Lock the topic preventing any additional replies.
Or we could just Warn and start issuing temp bans on the 3rd offense.
Or we could do what PFT does: nothing.

I think this is a tough call because it's not necessarily off-category, but when the board is busy it's annoying to wade through multiple discussion topics on the same subject, particularly if some are just one-liners, throwing out an opinion.



In this case, it could be a tough call... asking a question like that may be legit, but it may be a vanity post? It sounds like a good question, what if he worded it "What is the record for fewest points allowed in the playoffs?" I got to admit, when threads get hijacked, I quit reading them.... so unless we keep them totally reeled in, how can you warn someone for not reading a bunch of garbage?

Now if it is a total repeat, you may have to do something, but a "HEADS UP, THIS IS A REPEAT THREAD" would be better than "WARNING, THIS THREAD ALREADY EXISTS".

Maybe have moderators do like the cowboys on cattle drives like back in Slicker's day and have moderators ride along nudging them back on topic when they stray.
=====================================================================================

DO SOMETHING TODAY THAT YOUR FUTURE SELF WILL THANK YOU FOR!
User avatar
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am
Location: Rebelville, South Carolina

Re: Forum Rules

Postby Rebel-Fan-74 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 am

While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).
=====================================================================================

DO SOMETHING TODAY THAT YOUR FUTURE SELF WILL THANK YOU FOR!
User avatar
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am
Location: Rebelville, South Carolina

Re: Forum Rules

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:29 am

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).

Thanks for the nomination brother. I definitely have plenty of time, and would be happy to help. I like the little moderation idea myself. Some things, they got really carried away with on the other board. What folks say doesn't much bother me. I don't like seeing kids get put down, but i'm pretty tolerable other than that. I would really like to see this board succeed.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Forum Rules

Postby Beaudiddley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

cavaliereagle wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).

Thanks for the nomination brother. I definitely have plenty of time, and would be happy to help. I like the little moderation idea myself. Some things, they got really carried away with on the other board. What folks say doesn't much bother me. I don't like seeing kids get put down, but i'm pretty tolerable other than that. I would really like to see this board succeed.


It's a tough job cav.....I am a moderator on another site.....and I had to ban everyone......they kept arguing with me.....so now there's no one but me.......
Beaudiddley
Silver Bluff Bulldogs
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Forum Rules

Postby cavaliereagle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 am

Beaudiddley wrote:
cavaliereagle wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:While on the topic of MODERATORS, I nominate CavalierEagle...

He's on quite a bit, seems fair and understands where you are going with this board. He seems to understand that there needs to be moderation but in moderation (hey, I like that, just came to me as I was typing...) Don't put out every little spark, but when it turns into an inferno, fight the fire.

And for those who want it, have a NO HOLDS BARRED forum, no moderation (or at least very little moderation).

Thanks for the nomination brother. I definitely have plenty of time, and would be happy to help. I like the little moderation idea myself. Some things, they got really carried away with on the other board. What folks say doesn't much bother me. I don't like seeing kids get put down, but i'm pretty tolerable other than that. I would really like to see this board succeed.


It's a tough job cav.....I am a moderator on another site.....and I had to ban everyone......they kept arguing with me.....so now there's no one but me.......

At least no one will know you're talking to yourself. :lol:
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron