ALERT: (VPN) Virtual Private Network users

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

We have been made aware that some users are unfortunately being blocked from posting on this site.
You may receive a message that you are BANNED from this website. :(

This is likely due to the use of VPN services on your computer or phone.
These services will often give an IP address from another location around the globe in order to hide your location.

Unfortunately, many of the BOTS that regularly "ATTEMPT" to infiltrate this site with SPAM also use those same VPN services or simply come from different areas around the globe.
We BANNED many of the most problematic IP ADDRESSES that were the root of the problem a few years ago.

We have since improved our system of protection against these BOTS and are ready to remove some IP Addresses from the BANNED list.
However, this will likely be a slow process that could last into the offseason. :(
It is a VERY LONG list.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Re: ALERT: (VPN) Virtual Private Network users

Post by racincowboy02 »

What about the Google Bot that is always on is that something that is legit or is that one of those things you can't get rid of

AHS14
Abbeville Panthers

Post by AHS14 »

racincowboy02 wrote:What about the Google Bot that is always on is that something that is legit or is that one of those things you can't get rid of
That's probably the Google web crawler, that makes it so when people search for something on Google that is related to SC high school football posts from the forum will show up in the results.

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

QUICK FIX
-turn off V.P.N. services on your device when posting here.
(This choice is up to each individual user and you assume the responsibility)

As always, practice safe online practices.
Always make sure you turn back ON your V.P.N. before conducting any of your personal business.
Also, not a bad idea to use a different browser (if available) and clear any internet history and/or passwords.

LONG TERM SOLUTION
-We will slowly remove some of the IP Addresses that have been BANNED from previous SPAM attacks.
But unfortunately that could take well into the offseason. :(

If you are one of the ones that is being BLOCKED.
You can help by sending the beginning part of the IP Address that was being blocked.
We don't need the entire IP Address. Just the first 3 parts.
Example:
99.999.999.xx

Email to us and we will remove it from the BANNED list.
admin@scpreptalk.com

Apologize for the inconvenience.

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

racincowboy02 wrote:What about the Google Bot that is always on is that something that is legit or is that one of those things you can't get rid of
That is legit.
That just allows Google to crawl what is posted on this site so that it can be found in a search on Google.

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

AHS14 wrote:
That's probably the Google web crawler, that makes it so when people search for something on Google that is related to SC high school football posts from the forum will show up in the results.
THIS. EXACTLY.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Ok that makes sense now and I never knew that thanks for teaching me something today

Another question when I am at home and I am surfing the web on my home PC or phone it will sometimes show an IP address from TN or somewhere around the east coast wonder why that is

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Post by SCPrepTalk »

racincowboy02 wrote:Ok that makes sense now and I never knew that thanks for teaching me something today

Another question when I am at home and I am surfing the web on my home PC or phone it will sometimes show an IP address from TN or somewhere around the east coast wonder why that is
Depends on the Internet Service Provider in your area. It may be using V.P.N.? :?:

I "think" most of the issues that we are having with V.P.N. are when it makes people's IP Address seem that they are in a Far Away place.
New York, Kansas, San Francisco,Seattle and any number of places overseas, etc....
(really hate when it happens to people in the service that just want a piece of home). :(

I have tried to be careful not to Ban any IP addresses from the southern states.

Our system now has the number of fake signups reduced to just handful every few weeks.
But we have to make adjustments every few months because the BOTS are persistent.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

I don't use a VPN so that shouldn't effect me I was just curious why my home IP address would show it lol I don't understand how that works

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

It's a black box for me too. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems logging on. Sucks for the troops, I agree. I think twitter or Facebook would come in real handy in this situation. If people can't log on, I can post my FB account link and they can reach us that way. Or #scpreptalk on twitter? That should work fine, right?
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson