Account Confirmation E-mails

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Account Confirmation E-mails

Post by SF Band dad »

There is a problem with the board's e-mail client, confirmation e-mails were not being sent to new members to allow them to activate their registration.

I just activated all accounts that were waiting for that confirmation. All of you should be able to login and use the board.

I have temporarily suspended the requirement for a confirming e-mail. New members should now be able to register and use the forum immediately. (We can't leave the board like this long-term, the spammers will flood the place.)

Sorry, for the inconvenience.
SFBD

movethesticks
No Team Affiliation

Re: Account Confirmation E-mails

Post by movethesticks »

Tried all week to get email activation.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

movethesticks wrote:Tried all week to get email activation.
I should have realized something was 'stuck' when we didn't have any new members showing up, sorry.

I still have the "confirmation e-mails" turned off while my stepson figures out why the e-mail function isn't working. I've had to delete several spammers since Thursday and have now turned on the "captcha" requirement on new registrations. :x I hate those things and I know everyone else does too, I have selected the most basic, easiest to read version.

Captcha Example

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

I've killed off a few SPAMS yesterday and today.... I've only been on the 4A Board, but I'll look at the others in case I missed one.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

I've checked all new members and posts, we're good. I've also banned the foreign IP address ranges they were coming from. 8-)

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

If the spammers keep hitting us this hard we may have to switch to "first post moderation" like PFT does. I need to poke el-stepson and see if he's taken another crack at our e-mail problem.

Absit
No Team Affiliation

Post by Absit »

I killed some spammers this morning. 4A board.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I can't promise that I'll be patrolling any areas outside the 4A section but I'll kill any spammers I see.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

It appears that our lead Administrator (cralic) was able to find the problem with the e-mail system. I have turned the "new member" e-mail confirmations back on. I'll keep an eye on it and manually allow any registrations that appear to be stuck.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

SF Band dad wrote:It appears that our lead Administrator (cralic) was able to find the problem with the e-mail system. I have turned the "new member" e-mail confirmations back on. I'll keep an eye on it and manually allow any registrations that appear to be stuck.
The e-mail system appears to be working but we're still getting some spammers. I have learned a new trick, I now don't delete the spammer's account, I just disable it and ban the IP range they were using. That prevents their robot from coming right back with the same user-name, e-mail address or from the same server. :ugeek: