Overrated Clemson Loses!!!

Discussion topics that may not fit in other categories - minimal moderation

Re: Overrated Clemson Loses!!!

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:00 pm

I didn't realize how historic this season was for my Tigers:

In one season, Clemson beat the schools that’d won the previous *7* national titles

Twelve teams made New Year’s Six bowls this year. Clemson beat four of them.

Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama.

Those were the national champions from the seven year’s prior to Clemson’s win in the 2016 season’s Playoff National Championship.

That 35-31 Championship win came over the Bama that’d beaten the Tigers the year before. In the Playoff semifinal, Clemson trashed Ohio State, 31-0. Right there are the season’s two most impressive victories by anybody. On Oct. 29, Clemson beat FSU in Tallahassee, 37-34, and during opening weekend, won at Auburn, 19-13.

And there you have it. In one season, Clemson beat the four schools that’d produced the previous seven national champions. And it’s not like any of those teams were all that down this year. All four made New Year’s Six bowls, with Bama and FSU winning the Peach and Orange. Auburn’s obviously a little bit of an outlier, yeah.

Dabo Swinney’s Clemson has also beaten historic powers like Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame (back when it was still cool to do so), and Oklahoma over the last five years, in addition to long ago knocking off its habit of dropping games it shouldn’t.

The point is that these Tigers clawed their way into becoming a modern blue blood, taking names and stealing status all along the way.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... s-previous
“Truth crushed to the earth is truth still and like a seed will rise again”-Jefferson Davis
Veritas
Gaffney Indians

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Veritas wrote:I didn't realize how historic this season was for my Tigers:

In one season, Clemson beat the schools that’d won the previous *7* national titles

Twelve teams made New Year’s Six bowls this year. Clemson beat four of them.

Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Alabama, Auburn, Alabama.

Those were the national champions from the seven year’s prior to Clemson’s win in the 2016 season’s Playoff National Championship.

That 35-31 Championship win came over the Bama that’d beaten the Tigers the year before. In the Playoff semifinal, Clemson trashed Ohio State, 31-0. Right there are the season’s two most impressive victories by anybody. On Oct. 29, Clemson beat FSU in Tallahassee, 37-34, and during opening weekend, won at Auburn, 19-13.

And there you have it. In one season, Clemson beat the four schools that’d produced the previous seven national champions. And it’s not like any of those teams were all that down this year. All four made New Year’s Six bowls, with Bama and FSU winning the Peach and Orange. Auburn’s obviously a little bit of an outlier, yeah.

Dabo Swinney’s Clemson has also beaten historic powers like Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame (back when it was still cool to do so), and Oklahoma over the last five years, in addition to long ago knocking off its habit of dropping games it shouldn’t.

The point is that these Tigers clawed their way into becoming a modern blue blood, taking names and stealing status all along the way.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... s-previous
    Great Post :D
    Image National Champions
    1 CAT FAN
    Dillon Wildcats

Postby osu-grad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:11 pm

One title in over 35 years doesn't make a dynasty, therefore Clemson will remain solidly in the 2nd tier schools always looking up to others, like Alabama and OSU, that have earned the respect through decades of winning.

Let's see how well Clemson plays next year after their fortunate group of stars bails to the NFL. Even Dabo's prayers won't do him any good...
    LessThanTolerant wrote:I have a private golf plan through BCBS and I pay for it myself
    osu-grad
    Byrnes Rebels

Postby 3-3 Stack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:20 pm

osu-grad wrote:One title in over 35 years doesn't make a dynasty, therefore Clemson will remain solidly in the 2nd tier schools always looking up to others, like Alabama and OSU, that have earned the respect through decades of winning.

Let's see how well Clemson plays next year after their fortunate group of stars bails to the NFL. Even Dabo's prayers won't do him any good...

Wow. That 2nd tier school has kicked y'all's "buckeyes" up and down the field now, what, 4 times? And make NO mistake. The only thing they are looking up to is HISTORY, not current ability. That question was answered last night and last week. Get over it and try to catch up.
    3-3 Stack
    No Team Affiliation

Postby osu-grad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

3-3 Stack wrote:The only thing they are looking up to is HISTORY, not current ability.

:? OK...
    LessThanTolerant wrote:I have a private golf plan through BCBS and I pay for it myself
    osu-grad
    Byrnes Rebels

Postby 3-3 Stack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 pm

osu-grad wrote:
    3-3 Stack wrote:The only thing they are looking up to is HISTORY, not current ability.

:? OK...

Ok. So what your'e saying is Clemson got lucky?
    3-3 Stack
    No Team Affiliation

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:48 pm

osu-grad wrote:One title in over 35 years doesn't make a dynasty, therefore Clemson will remain solidly in the 2nd tier schools always looking up to others, like Alabama and OSU, that have earned the respect through decades of winning.

“There's no doubt in my mind that the best is yet to come for us. I mean, we're going to continue to improve, continue to get better. Winning National Championships are hard. I mean, it's very, very difficult to do,” he said. “It's been 35 years at Clemson. Like I said, in 2011, we had 30 years since we've been to the Orange Bowl. I'm like, listen, I don't know when we're getting back, but it ain't going to be 30 years, and now we've been to three Orange Bowls and won two of them. It won't be 35 years before Clemson will do this again.

“God willing, I'll be a part of it, but this program is built to last.”
      :D
        http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/The-Tigers-built-15540
        Image National Champions
        1 CAT FAN
        Dillon Wildcats

Postby thechuckster » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Clemson has the number one high school quarterback enrolling this week. They will not miss a beat.
        thechuckster
        No Team Affiliation

Postby cavaliereagle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 pm

31-0... :lol:
        CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.
        cavaliereagle
        Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

Clemson is your 2016 season’s national champ, having taken down No. 1 Alabama in the National Championship. How far did Ohio State fall after getting obliterated by the eventual national champs? How big a boost did USC get from its Rose Bowl thriller with Penn State? Was Washington the country’s most perfectly ranked team all along?
            http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/10/14222592/college-football-rankings-top-25-2016-final-ap-poll
            Image National Champions
            1 CAT FAN
            Dillon Wildcats

PreviousNext

Return to The Rubber Room - Society, Politics, Humor, Miscellaneous