Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Re: Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Post by FootballFan4343 »

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN wrote:
WRHIRadio wrote:http://www.wrhi.com/2018/08/broadcaster ... k-2-144908

Week 2 Top Ten

1. Dutch Fork (17)
2. Dorman
3. Fort Dorchester
4. Byrnes
5. Gaffney
6. TL Hanna (1)
7. South Pointe
8. Hartsville
9. Dillon
10. Abbeville
(First Place Votes are in Parentheses)

Others Receiving Votes: Berkeley, Greer, Sumter, Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Chapman, Lamar, North Myrtle Beach, Chester, Hammond.

The Statewide Broadcasters’ Poll is comprised of: Chris Miller, Gene Knight, Robert Earl Carter, Kevin Robbins, Moe Bell, Scott Wells, Chuck Roberts, Brown Simpson, Chet Tucker, Andy Robbins, Mario Washington, Matt Hiers, Matthew Kreh, Tyler Cupp, Tyler Shugart, Matt Barber, Ryan Clary, Greg McKinney.
I am just curious. Does anyone of these people voting on this poll live in the Lowcountry of SC? This includes St. George and below.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!

Question. Why does it always come to that? Anytime Upper State teams are ranked "higher" than a team(s) in the lower state we always hear about BIAS versus the Upper State. The fact remains that when it comes to football, the Upper State has actually OWNED us in the lower state for years. Over the past 20 years, the lower state (in 4A and 5A football and even 3A) has what 4 state championships to show for it? Goose Creek got one, Fort D got one, Berekley got one in 2009, Stratford hasn't won it since 1999 and Summerville the year before in 1998. Since then, the Upper State has dominated. Going back 21 seasons the "lower state" area has 5 out of a possible what 60 state championships, and we really want to complain about an "Upstate Bias"? The definition of bias is favoring one side usually in a way to be considered unfair. Based on the facts, it is apparent that there isn't a bias, instead the lower state gets "butt hurt" when their teams aren't giving credit the fans feel deserved. However, then at the end of the year when its all Upper State, no one ever makes their way back to boards to say, "Well I was wrong, my favorite lower state team wasn't worthy of the ranking I thought they were. Teams are giving credit once it is EARNED. So, until the Lower State starts to consistently win at the statewide level, polls will continue to be heavy with Upper State teams.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

I’m actually ok with the overall state rankings, but Dillon has 7 State Titles since 2008.
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

1 CAT FAN wrote:I’m actually ok with the overall state rankings, but Dillon has 7 State Titles since 2008.
I consider Dillon lower state ,but I don't think Charleston area teams fans consider y'all or DF to be lower state...and I'm even iffy about DF..... :lol:

Silverfox92
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by Silverfox92 »

mikey wrote:
1 CAT FAN wrote:I’m actually ok with the overall state rankings, but Dillon has 7 State Titles since 2008.
I consider Dillon lower state ,but I don't think Charleston area teams fans consider y'all or DF to be lower state...and I'm even iffy about DF..... :lol:
Dillon is definitely lower state. The Pee Dee area, Lowcountry, and Grand Strand are considered the lower state. The midlands is where it gets sketchy is the midlands. Sumter a team that’s most definitely in the lower state will be in the upper state this year. While teams like DF and Chapin(northern most Columbia team) will be in the upper state. It’s funny how it works but I guess its whatever.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Silverfox92 wrote:
mikey wrote:
Dillon is definitely lower state. The Pee Dee area, Lowcountry, and Grand Strand are considered the lower state. The midlands is where it gets sketchy is the midlands. Sumter a team that’s most definitely in the lower state will be in the upper state this year. While teams like DF and Chapin(northern most Columbia team) will be in the upper state. It’s funny how it works but I guess its whatever.
Dillon's pretty far north as far as proximity to the state line....guess it depends on how u dissect the state....but I know what u mean...

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Polls don't matter, the first weekend in December matters! Ain't that right?

. :lol:

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

I, personally, could care less about polls. Games are played on the field and I cannot ever remember a football game that was won or lost just by talking about it. Now I am going to go out on a limb here and say that my friend BEF was NOT inferring that the polls were biased towards any teams, one way or the other. I believe that he was just pointing out that this poll in particular, has mostly voters who primarily see upperstate teams and seldom see lowerstate teams. I do not think that he was trying to rekindle that old debate about the upperstate dominance in the recent past. Nobody that knows anything about SC High School football can make an intelligent argument against that.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

1. The question about where the people who are voting in this poll are from isn’t being answered.

2. If you are doing a “statewide” poll, Hammond should be in the top 5...period.

3. Honestly I don’t think there is really much of a debate about upper state vs lower state. We don’t play each other enough in the regular season.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

All I got....
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:Ryan Clary, FOXSPORTS Radio Spartanburg and Play by Play for the Vikings
Greg McKinney. ESPN UPSTATE and voice of the Byrnes Rebels
Tyler Shugart, I think is with FOXSPORTS Radio Spartanburg as well....

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Oh, one of Penguin's posts. I always enjoyed referencing the one is about the UPSTATE is BIASED.

Seems as if Mid region, someone has something to say about that.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson