Discussion For Greenwood Folks

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Discussion For Greenwood Folks

Post by eagle93 »

What are our football goals these days? Is it just to have a winning record? Is the goal no longer to win titles? Region and state, or at the least to get back to winning region? Are we okay performing in the middle of the pack with our tradition? Saying things like "we threw too much in the Laurens game", you're in the spread. Actually 20 attempts feels closer to the right amount. Is our goal really to be 22-0 against a school weak in football? As said in this article http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/high ... fe910.html

Really? Come on now. Must have bigger goals. Where are we headed? Greenwood pays big for a football coach to reach these goals.

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Discussion For Greenwood Folks

Post by northside knight »

eagle93 wrote:What are our football goals these days? Is it just to have a winning record? Is the goal no longer to win titles? Region and state, or at the least to get back to winning region? Are we okay performing in the middle of the pack with our tradition? Saying things like "we threw too much in the Laurens game", you're in the spread. Actually 20 attempts feels closer to the right amount. Is our goal really to be 22-0 against a school weak in football? As said in this article http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/high ... fe910.html

Really? Come on now. Must have bigger goals. Where are we headed? Greenwood pays big for a football coach to reach these goals.
As for how Pippin runs his offense, he did the same thing at north Augusta. It's all rpo stuff. Running to set up the pass. it looks like we should throw more based off formations but it's all window dressing. now he passes and tries to stay balanced but make no mistake Pippins offense is run first. Another thing to point out is the qb. Pippin has to have an athletic qb who can run and throw in order to have success. right now now we have one that can throw but not as athletic as years past. An athletic qb for Pippins offense is a must or the offense will struggle a little.

As for the titles, I'll agree with you on that. We haven't won region in 6 six years. Pippin has been here for 5. we've been close but haven't been able to close the deal. especially the last 2 or 3 years when we've had athletic QBs. He needs to start winning those games. To be fair though, hanna, westside, Hillcrest and such weren't any good all those years in a row when we won region in the past. I feel like the other teams are better than they have been. Not making excuses, we still need to win the games but Pippin has been the only coach from recent Greenwood history that's having to deal with that. I mean years ago before Pippin, who was worried about losing to the hannas, easleys , hillcrests and such?

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

I can remember a time back in 2002 where greenwood was rebuilding after losing Dvon Hill, Ricardo Hurley, and Sam Williams. We started the season 2-4 going into the tl Hanna game. TL hanna was 6-0. Greenwood at 2-4 beats 6-0 tl Hanna and then wins region. Almost same scenario in 2003.... Greenwood was 4-2 hanna 6-0. greenwood wins. in 04 greenwood was 5-1 hanna 6-0..... greenwood wins..... hell Easley in 2011....I believe was undefeated then lost to greenwood......Dula could do it, Cathcart could do it..... now it's Pippins turn...... still waiting :roll:

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:What are our football goals these days? Is it just to have a winning record? Is the goal no longer to win titles? Region and state, or at the least to get back to winning region? Are we okay performing in the middle of the pack with our tradition? Saying things like "we threw too much in the Laurens game", you're in the spread. Actually 20 attempts feels closer to the right amount. Is our goal really to be 22-0 against a school weak in football? As said in this article http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/high ... fe910.html

As for how Pippin runs his offense, he did the same thing at north Augusta. It's all rpo stuff. Running to set up the pass. it looks like we should throw more based off formations but it's all window dressing. now he passes and tries to stay balanced but make no mistake Pippins offense is run first. Another thing to point out is the qb. Pippin has to have an athletic qb who can run and throw in order to have success. right now now we have one that can throw but not as athletic as years past. An athletic qb for Pippins offense is a must or the offense will struggle a little.

As for the titles, I'll agree with you on that. We haven't won region in 6 six years. Pippin has been here for 5. we've been close but haven't been able to close the deal. especially the last 2 or 3 years when we've had athletic QBs. He needs to start winning those games. To be fair though, hanna, westside, Hillcrest and such weren't any good all those years in a row when we won region in the past. I feel like the other teams are better than they have been. Not making excuses, we still need to win the games but Pippin has been the only coach from recent Greenwood history that's having to deal with that. I mean years ago before Pippin, who was worried about losing to the hannas, easleys , hillcrests and such?
It's sounds like you're making excuses for him, and I have for the last few years also. But it is what it is. I have to accept it. He just isn't a championship coach. His play calling is very predictable. As far as those other schools getting better, that's just another excuse too me. That Hanna team wasn't that good and Greenwood could've won that game. That Hanna team will get their ears boxed in the playoffs. They aren't on the level of a DF or Dorman. They'll bounce out with Greenwood. Greenwood is supposed to be where those teams are. We have kids leaving going to other schools, we have kids not playing; he is not connecting with them. Greenwood is a town loaded with athletes. They should be wearing Greenwood uniforms, but they aren't.

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Post by northside knight »

eagle93 wrote:
northside knight wrote:

It's sounds like you're making excuses for him, and I have for the last few years also. But it is what it is. I have to accept it. He just isn't a championship coach. His play calling is very predictable. As far as those other schools getting better, that's just another excuse too me. That Hanna team wasn't that good and Greenwood could've won that game. That Hanna team will get their ears boxed in the playoffs. They aren't on the level of a DF or Dorman. They'll bounce out with Greenwood. Greenwood is supposed to be where those teams are. We have kids leaving going to other schools, we have kids not playing; he is not connecting with them. Greenwood is a town loaded with athletes. They should be wearing Greenwood uniforms, but they aren't.

I mean I'm with you on winning region and all. Other Teams being better isn't an excuse. There's just more good teams in the region than there used to be which makes it harder to win. I'm just saying Dan Pippin has it harder than the previous coaches. I mean we really shouldn't even be in 5a. We are one of the smallest 5a schools in the state if not the smallest. Basically we're a 4a school trying to win a 5a title. The previous head coaches coached a 4a Greenwood team trying to win in 4a. It's really an unfair advantage against us based off the enrollment numbers. I'm with you eagle 93 but calling him(not a championship coach) is being a tad bit harsh.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
northside knight wrote:

I mean I'm with you on winning region and all. Other Teams being better isn't an excuse. There's just more good teams in the region than there used to be which makes it harder to win. I'm just saying Dan Pippin has it harder than the previous coaches. I mean we really shouldn't even be in 5a. We are one of the smallest 5a schools in the state if not the smallest. Basically we're a 4a school trying to win a 5a title. The previous head coaches coached a 4a Greenwood team trying to win in 4a. It's really an unfair advantage against us based off the enrollment numbers. I'm with you eagle 93 but calling him(not a championship coach) is being a tad bit harsh.
Until he proves otherwise I'd have to agree with 93. And what does enrollment have to do with it? We've beaten big 16 schools when we were in class 4A D2. So that doesn't matter. It's 11 on 11 when you're on the field

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Go back northside knight and watch some of those gwood/abbeville games from the late 90s when Greenwood was Super loaded. Gwood 4A Abbeville 2A. Greenwood won most of them but the games were close.
you ask any of those abbeville players when they played against greenwood if they gave a damn if Greenwood was 4a and they were 2a? They just went out and played. Greenwood had to escape to get a win in some of those games. You see whats been going on at abbeville these days. They ain't making many excuses. That's for damn sure.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

Ok, the real issue here is not winning region the past two years when we were the best team in the region. 2016 vs Laurens. Greenwood came in at 8-1 and Laurens 4-5. Somehow lost and Laurens wins the region with a 5-5 record.

Last year we had Hillcrest beat but allowed them to drive 80 yards in less than a minute and they win the game on a flea flicker with no time left on the clock.

We win those two games and this thread is probably not even up. But we didn't so the head ball coach gotta take the blame.

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

eagle93 wrote:
northside knight wrote:

In regards to the transferring, kids are wired differently today. They just want to go somewhere where they will start or get more playing time. Back in our day it meant something to play for Greenwood whether you got pt or not. Now these kids would rather play for an 0-11 team rather than an 11-0 team as long as they got to play more for the 0-11 team.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

For one, Greenwood need to pass first to set up the run since Rhett isn't a dual threat quarterback.

Second, the Greenwood teams in the past didn't back down to no one in any classification.

Please stop using classification as an excuss Northside Knight.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012