Discussion For Greenwood Folks

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Discussion For Greenwood Folks

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Northside Knight.....Did you play for Greenwood? If so, what years did you play?
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:What are our football goals these days? Is it just to have a winning record? Is the goal no longer to win titles? Region and state, or at the least to get back to winning region? Are we okay performing in the middle of the pack with our tradition? Saying things like "we threw too much in the Laurens game", you're in the spread. Actually 20 attempts feels closer to the right amount. Is our goal really to be 22-0 against a school weak in football? As said in this article http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/high ... fe910.html

Really? Come on now. Must have bigger goals. Where are we headed? Greenwood pays big for a football coach to reach these goals.
As for how Pippin runs his offense, he did the same thing at north Augusta. It's all rpo stuff. Running to set up the pass. it looks like we should throw more based off formations but it's all window dressing. now he passes and tries to stay balanced but make no mistake Pippins offense is run first. Another thing to point out is the qb. Pippin has to have an athletic qb who can run and throw in order to have success. right now now we have one that can throw but not as athletic as years past. An athletic qb for Pippins offense is a must or the offense will struggle a little.

As for the titles, I'll agree with you on that. We haven't won region in 6 six years. Pippin has been here for 5. we've been close but haven't been able to close the deal. especially the last 2 or 3 years when we've had athletic QBs. He needs to start winning those games. To be fair though, hanna, westside, Hillcrest and such weren't any good all those years in a row when we won region in the past. I feel like the other teams are better than they have been. Not making excuses, we still need to win the games but Pippin has been the only coach from recent Greenwood history that's having to deal with that. I mean years ago before Pippin, who was worried about losing to the hannas, easleys , hillcrests and such?
It's sounds like you're making excuses for him, and I have for the last few years also. But it is what it is. I have to accept it. He just isn't a championship coach. His play calling is very predictable. As far as those other schools getting better, that's just another excuse too me. That Hanna team wasn't that good and Greenwood could've won that game. That Hanna team will get their ears boxed in the playoffs. They aren't on the level of a DF or Dorman. They'll bounce out with Greenwood. Greenwood is supposed to be where those teams are. We have kids leaving going to other schools, we have kids not playing; he is not connecting with them. Greenwood is a town loaded with athletes. They should be wearing Greenwood uniforms, but they aren't.

I mean I'm with you on winning region and all. Other Teams being better isn't an excuse. There's just more good teams in the region than there used to be which makes it harder to win. I'm just saying Dan Pippin has it harder than the previous coaches. I mean we really shouldn't even be in 5a. We are one of the smallest 5a schools in the state if not the smallest. Basically we're a 4a school trying to win a 5a title. The previous head coaches coached a 4a Greenwood team trying to win in 4a. It's really an unfair advantage against us based off the enrollment numbers. I'm with you eagle 93 but calling him(not a championship coach) is being a tad bit harsh.
Until he proves otherwise I'd have to agree with 93. And what does enrollment have to do with it? We've beaten big 16 schools when we were in class 4A D2. So that doesn't matter. It's 11 on 11 when you're on the field
Absolutely. In 2012 we beat them all. We aren't where we were. Period. Stop with the too small for 5A stuff. That's what Pippin says. If you don't think you can beat any team that's already an issue. South Point doesn't make that excuse. No championship school does.

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Post by northside knight »

StateChampsGHS wrote:Northside Knight.....Did you play for Greenwood? If so, what years did you play?

I did. My freshman year was 2006. Played 9th grade then jv for two years. Didn't see varsity until my senior year in 09. I wasn't a starter. Just played mop up duty mostly. We won state my freshman year. lost in the playoffs my last three. Coach Dula retired my junior year and Coach Cathcart took over the program my senior year.

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Post by northside knight »

StateChampsGHS wrote:For one, Greenwood need to pass first to set up the run since Rhett isn't a dual threat quarterback.

Second, the Greenwood teams in the past didn't back down to no one in any classification.

Please stop using classification as an excuss Northside Knight.

I'm not using it as an excuse! I'm just saying it's harder to win because we don't belong in 5a based off NUMBERS not Talent. Greenwood's starting 11 can rumble with the best of them but when injuries start to happen depth becomes an issue for smaller schools. Abbeville is about as talented as they come but put them in the 5a playoffs and I'd be surprised if they make out of the first round just due to the difference in number of kids.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

What about South Point? They are in 4A. Most seasons most would agree that they could beat any team in 5A. They beat Northwestern consistently and any other 5A they play. They're having a slightly off season this season. They never complain about classification. I'm not sure Greenwood could beat Abbeville currently and I hate saying that. A 2A school. The killer instinct just isn't there like it used to be.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Northside Knights......other Big 5A schools have the same amount players we have on roster. No excuse!!!

You played for Dula and Cathcart so you should know about the Greenwood tradition. Greenwood should have high expectations every year.

Win scrimmages, jamboree's, non region and region games, playoff games and state titles. GREENWOOD should have that mind set every year. No excuses at all!!! JUST WIN!!! Give full effect every game.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

StateChampsGHS wrote:Northside Knights......other Big 5A schools have the same amount players we have on roster. No excuse!!!

You played for Dula and Cathcart so you should know about the Greenwood tradition. Greenwood should have high expectations every year.

Win scrimmages, jamboree's, non region and region games, playoff games and state titles. GREENWOOD should have that mind set every year. No excuses at all!!! JUST WIN!!! Give full effect every game.
Couldn't agree more

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

northside knight wrote:
StateChampsGHS wrote:For one, Greenwood need to pass first to set up the run since Rhett isn't a dual threat quarterback.

Second, the Greenwood teams in the past didn't back down to no one in any classification.

I'm not using it as an excuse! I'm just saying it's harder to win because we don't belong in 5a based off NUMBERS not Talent. Greenwood's starting 11 can rumble with the best of them but when injuries start to happen depth becomes an issue for smaller schools. Abbeville is about as talented as they come but put them in the 5a playoffs and I'd be surprised if they make out of the first round just due to the difference in number of kids.
You are correct, size does matter. The current 5A class is too broad.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

all the years that coach Babb was at greenwood he
seldom had over 30 kids on the varsity except his
last few years that he coached.most teams that
Greenwood played back then would have a lot more
players.Greenwood would have several players that
went both ways.in 1968 when Greenwood won the
1st ever 4a state championship they had 28 players
and at least 4 went both ways.no water breaks in
practice or games back then.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

SF Band dad wrote:
northside knight wrote:

You are correct, size does matter. The current 5A class is too broad.
None of the traditional powers complain about this. We never have, not until Pippin arrived has any coach complained about that. Not Babb, not Dula, and not Cathcart. They wanted to play and beat the largest schools and did it. When Pippin came Greenwood had a very hard schedule. The likes of Dutch Fork, Dorman, Spartanburg, Northwestern, Gaffney, etc. Cathcart wanted to play and beat these teams. He had success too. Went to the championship 3 years in a row. In 2012 they went unscathed. They were physical, confident, and creative. When Pippin arrived he immediately let us know that he didn't set this schedule up and that he was going to change it to make it easier. Now we play schools in the Aiken area that rarely compete for titles if at all. To date the best opponent we've beaten is South Aiken.