How much does coaching really matter?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Chief Whoa
Gaffney Indians

How much does coaching really matter?

Post by Chief Whoa »

I thought this would be an interesting topic. I've seen a lot of football in my 36 years on this Earth and obviously coaches have to run a tight ship and there are rules and consequences but what this conversation stems from is Gaffney going (11-2) and losing to a pretty dadgum good team (the only team to beat us) and now all of a sudden a majority of the fan base is ready to fire everyone after being fine all season and heading into the playoff game, It is well noted that Gaffney lost a three-way tiebreaker and only lost one region game (and ended up losing two games all season) and didn't even receive one home playoff game and it is hard to win on the road and even harder to win on the road in the playoffs but life isn't always fair. You also have the Coach Lane at Byrnes example from a few years back and the coaching change and the Rebels going from 3 to 11 wins in two seasons. A coach calls every play in hopes of it being successful but that is impossible, I don't EVER blame players (especially by name) but it is true that none of the coaches drop passes, hold, commit turnovers or try to pick fumbles up instead of falling on them (that actually can be coached). In this example I truly believe that there is nothing that a Gaffney coach could have done to change the outcome of that playoff game. Losing to your rival is part of it but Coach Jones is (81-38) in nine seasons with a current double digit home win streak and now our fans sound like Greenwood fans (no offense, not a shot just an example, really) and are ready to fire him and run the entire coaching staff off. One last example is Byrnes' QB getting injured last week, Byrnes slapped Hanna in the mouth to start the game even without him but there was only so much the coach could do when the momentum turned and the Rebels had no passing game to speak of. I hope the young man is alright by the way and at least he has one more year and this wasn't his last dance. At the end of the day there can only be one champion and I know we are spoiled here in Gaffney but what are some of you other guys thoughts on this topic.
281 INDIANS GAMES IN A ROW AND COUNTING!

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: How much does coaching really matter?

Post by CITYSLICKER »

I THINK ITS THE FANS FAULT NOT THE COACH, WHOA KISS MY TOE. TELL MAMA HEY
Attachments
clintonshirt_zps997cbe37.jpg
clintonshirt_zps997cbe37.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Coaching has a lot to do with it.look at Berkley cruice years they were a joke .Robinson got them back straight.
Adjustments on the fly ect.players are going to have off games.you adjust your game plan. Preparation and execution of basic fundamentals blocking tackling ect.

Chief Whoa
Gaffney Indians

Post by Chief Whoa »

I think Coach Lane at Byrnes and the former Berkeley coach situations were the exception and not the rule. By all accounts the Rebel fans are happy with where they stand right now and the direction they are headed but they said on the radio that the starting QB for Byrnes couldn't walk all week and one could argue why was a backup not prepared to play? If the roles were reversed and Scott was healthy and the Hanna QB did his signature flip into the end zone and landed on his head wrong and got a concussion then everything changes and Byrnes wins the game then would the hotshot Hanna coach be sent out of Anderson back to Georgia on the first thing smoking? Hanna's backup qb didn't do all that well against Byrnes, in fact they shutdown him and the Hanna offense then and Hanna was running their offense but it was too late. Greenwood knocked Hanna out of the playoffs last year (and they still want a new coach) and this same Dan Jones staff was a successful two-point conversion attempt away from taking Hanna to OT last season at Hanna. Times have changed and coaches can practice and practice and practice the team until they are blue in the face but it is up to 15-18 year old kids to execute on Friday nights.

BTW: I will tell her COUS Slick and to Fortfor5 Go Blue Devils!
Last edited by Chief Whoa on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
281 INDIANS GAMES IN A ROW AND COUNTING!

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Chief Whoa wrote:I think Coach Lane at Byrnes and the former Berkeley coach situations were the exception and not the rule. By all accounts the Rebel fans are happy with where they stand right now and the direction they are headed but they said on the radio that the starting QB for Byrnes couldn't walk all week and one could argue why was a backup not prepared to play? If the roles were reversed and Scott was healthy and the Hanna QB did his signature flip into the end zone and landed on his head wrong and got a concussion then everything changes and Byrnes wins the game then would the hotshot Hanna coach be sent out of Anderson back to Georgia on the first thing smoking? Hanna's backup qb didn't do all that well against Byrnes, in fact they shutdown him and the Hanna offense then and Hanna was running their offense but it was too late. Greenwood knocked Hanna out of the playoffs last year and this same Dan Jones staff was a successful two-point conversion attempt away from taking Hanna to OT last season at Hanna. Times have changed and coaches can practice and practice and practice the team until they are blue in the face but it is up to 15-18 year old kids to execute on Friday nights.

BTW: I will tell her COUS Slick and to Fortfor5 Go Blue Devils!
Example two knotts at Dutch fork. Hes took them over the top.
Example 3 joe call summerville maybe one day.but he is average coach. Plus a coaches staff is a help also.

Fortfan2k
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfan2k »

Coaching do play a big role. Here at fort i was very critical of our OC. Despite being young he had talent and speed for days on the outside but the playbook was vanilla at best. Players get blamed for lack of execution but how can the players execute when they not put in position ro succeed. For example when we played Berkeley, the posts and slants were working, when there was a void in rhe middle. We stopped going there when the void was there all night. We also ran for atleast 6 yards per carry between the tackles, we stopped and ran out side most and kept getting stuffed. What works he stop using and call plays that dont work. Same as vs hillcrest in 14. They put 9 men in the box, dare us to throw did we take advantage of what the defense gave us? Nope we kept running up the middle. A good to great OC Will exploit mismatches our OC dont. I will use a term that is used at work. A great ground man will make a crane operator a better operator. Same goes for good to great coaches

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Fortfan2k wrote:Coaching do play a big role. Here at fort i was very critical of our OC. Despite being young he had talent and speed for days on the outside but the playbook was vanilla at best. Players get blamed for lack of execution but how can the players execute when they not put in position ro succeed. For example when we played Berkeley, the posts and slants were working, when there was a void in rhe middle. We stopped going there when the void was there all night. We also ran for atleast 6 yards per carry between the tackles, we stopped and ran out side most and kept getting stuffed. What works he stop using and call plays that dont work. Same as vs hillcrest in 14. They put 9 men in the box, dare us to throw did we take advantage of what the defense gave us? Nope we kept running up the middle. A good to great OC Will exploit mismatches our OC dont. I will use a term that is used at work. A great ground man will make a crane operator a better operator. Same goes for good to great coaches
Yep gotta agree .