Does school size really matter?

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Does school size really matter?

Post by eagle93 »

FootballFan4343 wrote:
eagle93 wrote:FBF. You looked completely over where I said in those years they beat those power D1 schools. In 2000 Dorman won D1. They lost to Greenwood who won D2. They beat those D1 schools consistently during the years they competed for titles. In 2012 they beat them all. The non-conference was always D1. Now the non-conference is smaller and weaker. They can't even win region and beat teams that never beat them before now. Leadership.
To be honest, I didn't see that comment, likely it got lost in my responses. But, to your point, you are using one team and a couple of seasons to attempt to prove the point that school enrollment doesn't matter. So, lets compare Greenwood and Dorman, shall we? You mention that Greenwood "consistently" has beaten teams like Dorman. However, Greenwood sports an 8-15 record all-time against Dorman. Those years included some pretty good Greenwood teams.
Now, lets use Byrnes. Greenwood is 2-9 vs. Byrnes
Lets try Northwestern: Greenwood is 1-5
Gaffney: Greenwood is 10-12-3
That was just a quick look. The one consistency is those are programs which you have compared Greenwood to in terms of "premiere" programs, yet the Eagles have a pretty poor record against them. Assuming these are all elite programs and, according to you, all have elite athletes with great coaching. What is the difference? ENROLLMENT!

Look, we can argue back and forth all day, but the no one has countered this FACT
Historically the schools the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) do not compete for state championships. Thats 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A or 1A. It just doesn't happen. The facts show that.

Instead, the argument I continue to get is these one off scenarios where people say, well that year Greenwood went 15-0, they beat the D-1 champ. Or, we beat 'em all one year. So, your argument against enrollment not mattering is based on a couple of "historic years". If so, yes I will give you that, if you have a "historic team", then enrollment probably doesn't matter for that season. But, this thread was started talking about enrollment mattering to the overall long term success of a program. The facts show that the teams at the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) do not show sustained success in their classification.
As for the Dorman series being 8-15, that actually isn't bad. 2 coaches who didn't particularly do well at Greenwood had most those losses. Byrnes was D2 or smaller every time we played them, and beat anyone in front of them for quite awhile. Including the big D1s you talk about. 10-12 against Gaffney isn't bad and was tied forever. Both Gaffney and Greenwood are traditional powers and are in the ranks for most titles in the state with a few others. NW just had our number even when we were Big 16, but we won when it mattered. 2012 title.

I'll agree with you. Enrollment matters at some schools. But that's not the problem at Greenwood. We lost to Easley this year.

EmeraldCityEagle98
Greenwood Eagles

Post by EmeraldCityEagle98 »

FootballFan4343 wrote:
eagle93 wrote:FBF. You looked completely over where I said in those years they beat those power D1 schools. In 2000 Dorman won D1. They lost to Greenwood who won D2. They beat those D1 schools consistently during the years they competed for titles. In 2012 they beat them all. The non-conference was always D1. Now the non-conference is smaller and weaker. They can't even win region and beat teams that never beat them before now. Leadership.
To be honest, I didn't see that comment, likely it got lost in my responses. But, to your point, you are using one team and a couple of seasons to attempt to prove the point that school enrollment doesn't matter. So, lets compare Greenwood and Dorman, shall we? You mention that Greenwood "consistently" has beaten teams like Dorman. However, Greenwood sports an 8-15 record all-time against Dorman. Those years included some pretty good Greenwood teams.
That was just a quick look. The one consistency is those are programs which you have compared Greenwood to in terms of "premiere" programs, yet the Eagles have a pretty poor record against them. Assuming these are all elite programs and, according to you, all have elite athletes with great coaching. What is the difference? ENROLLMENT!

Look, we can argue back and forth all day, but the no one has countered this FACT
Historically the schools the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) do not compete for state championships. Thats 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A or 1A. It just doesn't happen. The facts show that.

Instead, the argument I continue to get is these one off scenarios where people say, well that year Greenwood went 15-0, they beat the D-1 champ. Or, we beat 'em all one year. So, your argument against enrollment not mattering is based on a couple of "historic years". If so, yes I will give you that, if you have a "historic team", then enrollment probably doesn't matter for that season. But, this thread was started talking about enrollment mattering to the overall long term success of a program. The facts show that the teams at the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) do not show sustained success in their classification.
Then why even show up? Why train? Imagine a coach saying......"We won't win against these teams because they have more kids that go to their school than we do"............... I'm just not one to make those excuses. If people want to make excuses like that then it's a free country.......

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Post by FootballFan4343 »

EmeraldCityEagle98 wrote:
FootballFan4343 wrote:

Then why even show up? Why train? Imagine a coach saying......"We won't win against these teams because they have more kids that go to their school than we do"............... I'm just not one to make those excuses. If people want to make excuses like that then it's a free country.......
You truly are looking at this the wrong way. Again, you are talking as though enrollment is ALL that matters, which I have never once said. If enrollment was all that mattered, then yes, why train, why practice. But fortunately it is not the ONLY thing that matters. However, that doesn't mean enrollment does not play a factor. I will repeat again, the facts show that the teams at the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) do not consistently compete for state championships. That doesn't mean that all of the largest teams in each classification are good, but the facts do show that the smallest schools in each classification have no sustained success in competing for championships.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

How much bigger is TL Hanna compared to Byrnes in 5A?

If my mind serves me correctly, Byrnes is near the top and TL Hanna is near the bottom.... Right???
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Byrnes - 2,368 students
TL Hanna - 1,829 students
539 difference in students
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

StateChampsGHS wrote:How much bigger is TL Hanna compared to Byrnes in 5A?

If my mind serves me correctly, Byrnes is near the top and TL Hanna is near the bottom.... Right???
Here's a link to the ADM used for the last realignment. http://www.scpreptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3072

Berkeley was the only smaller school to make it to the 2nd round of 5A. I never said that school size was absolutely definitive, I said it was statistically significant. TL Hanna is near the middle of the pack in 5A (#28 of 48), their performance this year is exceptional. They had to defeat (#2) Dorman and (#5) Byrnes to earn the right to face (#13) Dutch Fork.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

SF Band dad wrote:

Here's a link to the ADM used for the last realignment. http://www.scpreptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3072

Berkeley was the only smaller school to make it to the 2nd round of 5A. I never said that school size was absolutely definitive, I said it was statistically significant. TL Hanna is near the middle of the pack in 5A (#28 of 48), their performance this year is exceptional. They had to defeat (#2) Dorman and (#5) Byrnes to earn the right to face (#13) Dutch Fork.
You can't use this enrollment talk to describe every school. Some areas have more natural athletes than others and with the right coach they're hard to beat.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:

You can't use this enrollment talk to describe every school. Some areas have more natural athletes than others and with the right coach they're hard to beat.
Ugh, I thought this had gone away. You are exactly right, you can't use it to describe every school, however the FACTS show that the schools as the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) NEVER consistently compete for State Championships. So, YES, it is true that the larger schools in each classification have an advantage when it comes to success. Again, enrollment is not the only key to success, but to deny the fact that it plays a role is just plain ignoring the facts.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

FootballFan4343 wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:

Ugh, I thought this had gone away. You are exactly right, you can't use it to describe every school, however the FACTS show that the schools as the bottom of each classification (in terms of enrollment) NEVER consistently compete for State Championships. So, YES, it is true that the larger schools in each classification have an advantage when it comes to success. Again, enrollment is not the only key to success, but to deny the fact that it plays a role is just plain ignoring the facts.
I hope we get the right coach back in place and show you.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

eagle93 wrote:
FootballFan4343 wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:

I hope we get the right coach back in place and show you.
A couple of things. When Greenwood has had sustained success, they were one of the bigger teams in the playoff classification. Now that they are one of the smallest 5A schools they are NOT competing for State Championships. Might be winning some games, or even a region, but not playing for state titles.