#10 Blythewood vs #7 Sumter

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

#10 Blythewood vs #7 Sumter

Post by bbrown1240 »

Blythewood was pretty good defensively, even though we had some self inflicted mistakes. Blythewood offensively should have only had 3 points. Gave up a pick 6 on a route clearly not open (only our 3rd interception of the year), and a mistimed jump by O’Donnell Fortune on their long touchdown pass. Even on their opening drive for 3 points they were aided by a personal foul by Sumter on 3rd down around midfield. We were still able to punish them running the football (175 yds) but Blythewood has great team speed. We weren’t able to bust a long one on them. We were only 3-10 passing the ball (all but two throws in the first half) but two went for touchdowns, including the nail in the coffin with a 30 yarder where Cameron Gaymon drug a defender at least 5 yards into the end zone. We dropped a pass on the second play of the game that would have went for a touchdown. Overall it was a defensive game on both sides. Good matchup between top 10 teams. I think this was our best defensive game to date. Offensively we did not play well but it’s good to know that we still scored 29 points on an off night against a good defense and still won by two scores. We see if we can squeak one out against Valley next week.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Re: #10 Blythewood vs #7 Sumter

Post by Penguin »

Congratulations on the BIG win. Blythewood has a ton of team speed. That is also a tough defense that they have. Having seen them play, I would say that Sumter has an extremely good football team to have beaten them. Blythewood will surprise someone come playoff time. Sumter has established itself as one of the leaders for the opportunity to be the second best team in AAAAA. It is still Dutch Fork, then everybody else fighting for second. The upperstate half of the AAAAA playoff bracket is going to be very interesting.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

bbrown1240
Sumter Gamecocks

Post by bbrown1240 »

Thanks. Blythewood played a big part in us not being as successful as we wanted to be.

It is indeed a race for second best. I can’t believe I’m saying this (I’m a part time Irmo fan because I’ve coached a lot of kids that play for Irmo now) but I really hope Dutch Fork gets the job done and goes all the way in dominating fashion. I don’t see a reason why they won’t. A loss now for DF in the playoffs would probably be devastating. 73-9 Warriors? Undefeated Patriots a couple years ago? Heck I’ll bring it up...the 2003 14-0 Sumter team that lost on the 1 yd line at Williams Brice? I was a senior LB on that team and that game still haunts me to this day. To DF....don’t be like us....get it done!!!

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

I full well know that football games are not won or lost on paper, but rather, on the field. Dutch Fork has so much talent, so much speed, and such a great coaching staff. Sure, they probably could lose, but I seriously doubt it with where other teams seem to be talent wise. I enjoy seeing teams have success after years of futility. Irmo is the bully big brother to them. For the Foxes to be able to not only beat the Jackets, but to be the odds on favorite for a State Championship and National recognition, this has to be a wonderful time in the midlands. High School football goes in cycles because of the constant change out of talent. Not having to hear all of the Gaffney fans, Byrnes fans, and even the Northwestern fans, constant dribble about their programs, is a pleasant reprieve. I enjoyed seeing Hillcrest win it all. I grew up in the heyday of Spring Valley and Summerville.

Dutch Fork is going to bring back national interest in South Carolina High School football. No matter what team you support or pull for, that will be a good thing. It will also be exciting watching the upstate half of the bracket. There will be some great games in November and early December. And who doesn't want to see Fort Dorchester and Berkeley line up against each other again? This is a great time of year for the sport. The weather is starting to feel like championship weather rather than training camp weather. Bring on the games, I am excited.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

TheSilverFox
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by TheSilverFox »

DF played poorly last night. 3 turnovers and a pretty lackluster performance overall. Even though we score the ball at a high rate turnovers in the playoffs can change momentum especially when we’re on the road playing against a quality defense. Good thing we have a bye this week! Knotts will get all the wrinkles out and assure the guys that it’s now or never going forward!