Scorestream Mobile App- Discussions & Suggestions

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions and a forum for suggesting and discussing ideas about how to improve the board.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: Live 4A Scoreboard - Download the App - Score your team

Post by DeCav »

Mike, on the "score pad" you don't have to click post. The way the app is SUPPOSED to work you just click the score increment and it takes instantly and updates. There's an "x" button above the "+6". You might see it swirl after clicking a score which means it's uploading that score. Of course the "x" button is for closing the keypad when you're done.

The "post" button is only for posting comments on the thread and for sending updates to Facebook or text. I know that you're supposed to be able to integrate the app to also update people through your phone via text (SMS) but I don't know how well that works yet because I haven't tried it.

The only time you have to click something to get it to accept a score is if you manually type in a score and then you click the checkmark. I had the same problem the first game I did. I kept thinking I should click "post" to make the app accept the score change and post it to the game page.

We had a cheer competition going on at our game also. 1,700 against 1,800 clicks. It stands to reason that if there is a connectivity issue or data load placed on the servers or whatever that a cheer button may be doing more harm than good? I dunno. Chuck pointed out beside me that it seemed a bit cheap to just sit there and bang away at the cheer button. He thought it would make sense to just be delegated unique cheers per game, one cheer per user. That would serve a second function of giving immediate info on roughly how many people are signed up and viewing the game.

I will probably play around a bit more with the sample games and experiment. I can tell you that the info on your game seemed to be working well. I checked the game several times and was surprised how much info and how many comments there were from you. Dorman#1 is in the charleston area and usually relies on me to text updates for dorman games. The 1st two quarters he said he was receiving my comments but the scoreboard wasn't updating to reflect my comments. Halfway through the game he sent me a text saying it was now working really well.

I'm with band dad. I had several issues where there seemed to be a horrible lag where I finally figured out that it was struggling to reflect the updates but given a few minutes it would take it. Don't know what happened but everything started working nicely halfway through the game. I did send the scorestream folks an email outlining the problems I was having. Maybe they somehow resolved it during the game?? Impressive if that's the case.

Very strange that the comments were going straight to d1's phone but the score was not. And the comment thread would immediately reflect my changes but the scoreboard did not. The band was halfway through their show before the clock finally displayed that it was halftime.

Still for me it's easier than texting. My old Motorola had about 6 or 7 hoops I had to jump through in order to send a group of 10 people an update. My iPhone 5s doesn't even have groups I can text to. They say the 8.1 update has that though.

I think my phone is partly to blame. It really wouldn't load any web pages last night and the first email I tried to send to scorestream failed. I will get d#1 to fill me in on his experience as a dedicated spectator.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

DeCaf wrote:I think my phone is partly to blame. It really wouldn't load any web pages last night and the first email I tried to send to scorestream failed. I will get d#1 to fill me in on his experience as a dedicated spectator.
I think that is the key. How many cell phone towers are near The U? How many people there were trying to use their cell phones?

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

My wish list for the scorestream app...

1) featured games are populated by "my games/teams" first. I like being able to scroll up and down the list and get quick glances at the scores instead of having to click each matchup page to see the score. The featured games have matchups I'm not interested in. Best would be if the featured list chose "my games" to place at the top of the list. Don't mind the other games coming after that. I wouldn't mind have to manually edit the featured games to display the games I wanna follow but it seems like the app could be coded to do this automatically from the "my games" list.

2) Some type of possession indicator. You could make it proprietary to the football mode of the app.

3) A keypad for the time clock instead of scroll wheel.

4) It would at least help the scorekeeper if, in situations where connectivity is an issue, the app placed a priority on reflecting changes on the scoring phone and then attempted to update to the server. Several of us Friday night experienced problems with the app not responding to changes we were trying to enter. It was as if my app refused to display my changes on my phone until it had uploaded correctly. We are totally guessing about what the issue was and ya cannot help it if the phone is having difficulty connecting but for my own sanity it'd have been nice if the app was responding at least on my own phone.

5) Not sure about the cheer button. It's a "sexy" little feature that doesn't really add much to the utility of the app. I will admit I found myself banging away at it during time outs! :lol:

None of these are dealbreakers. Just things I have been thinking while using the app.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

DeCav wrote:My wish list for the scorestream app...

1) featured games are populated by "my games/teams" first. I like being able to scroll up and down the list and get quick glances at the scores instead of having to click each matchup page to see the score. The featured games have matchups I'm not interested in. Best would be if the featured list chose "my games" to place at the top of the list. Don't mind the other games coming after that. I wouldn't mind have to manually edit the featured games to display the games I wanna follow but it seems like the app could be coded to do this automatically from the "my games" list.

2) Some type of possession indicator. You could make it proprietary to the football mode of the app.

3) A keypad for the time clock instead of scroll wheel.

4) It would at least help the scorekeeper if, in situations where connectivity is an issue, the app placed a priority on reflecting changes on the scoring phone and then attempted to update to the server. Several of us Friday night experienced problems with the app not responding to changes we were trying to enter. It was as if my app refused to display my changes on my phone until it had uploaded correctly. We are totally guessing about what the issue was and ya cannot help it if the phone is having difficulty connecting but for my own sanity it'd have been nice if the app was responding at least on my own phone.

5) Not sure about the cheer button. It's a "sexy" little feature that doesn't really add much to the utility of the app. I will admit I found myself banging away at it during time outs! :lol:

None of these are dealbreakers. Just things I have been thinking while using the app.

I agree that would be awesome all of those and another thing would be for it to upload the updates to social media for you automatically. I would love to see the time be a count down just like at the game you put in the time they are playing (for example high school is 12:00 qtrs and it counts down and lets you post the scores and then updates when you hit post to social media

You are on the money with your assessment as well i agree with everything you said i had the same troubles at times Friday night as well

movethesticks
No Team Affiliation

Post by movethesticks »

I was turned off when I was looking for a late score on the Spartanburg-Mauldin game.

Scorestream had the score 66-62 in favor of Mauldin at 9:56 pm

Not reliable.

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

The app worked great for me while on the road to Florida on Friday night. It is a great addition to this board and THANKS to all who found it, tested it, and promoted it!

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

How did it work for you following other games? I was too busy watching and scoring the dorman game to pay much attention to the other games. Did you score a game with the app?

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

Worked great. I was the one scoring the NW vs RH game via my android phone. I was listening to the game streaming via the WRHI app. When someone scored, and at the period change, I restarted the score stream app and updated the score using the + shortcut keys. I liked seeing all the scores. I did not keep the app up and running all the time. All in all, it was a positive experience with the app.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I was playing around today with a very cool feature on the scorestream app that seems to work well. It also seems to erase any concerns for folks who either still feel obligated to text scores or folks who are still relying on texts from others.

The scorestream app allows you to set up a group of folks directly from your phone's contacts list. At any point you can click a couple of buttons and send out an SMS text to the group you've created that updates them with the current game status. You can also bang out a message along with the score update the app sends with the message.

Of this is useful if you have folks who either don't have the app or don't have a smartphone who depend on your updates. You can keep both the scorestream users and the text folks on board at the same time without going back and forth between the app and your phones text engine.

Now what's really cool for me is the fact that my current iOS on my phone doesn't support groups. I can generate a group on the fly to text but I have to scroll and add them one at a time. The text function on the scorestream app is so much better than my iPhone's own function for group texting. I will probably use the text function next week for those who still want some text updates.

Joshua.Stephens
ScoreStream.com

Post by Joshua.Stephens »

Hi guys,

I see the posts about scores being posted in bad service areas. I'll see if we can just try to resubmit them over and over 'til they stick.

A new version just went like that has changes required for Facebook to work properly when posting. I'm not sure if the Facebook functionality will work before Facebook gets around to approving the app, but you can try it. If it does or doesn't work please let me know. I've had reports that it works fine, but I would have thought it wouldn't.

Thanks