Time Capsule #1: Dorman/Spartanburg 10-14-94

Things that get off topic.
*No Politics please.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Time Capsule #1: Dorman/Spartanburg 10-14-94

Post by DeCav »

Well Sparty here it is. You talk about this game all the time and I've dug up the copy on it and posted it on PFT. I have to say that it was painful reliving this experience but at the same time it really was a heck of a thing to have been able to attend what is surely the best high school football game ever played in the city of Spartanburg.

This game had it all. It wasn't just the game itself, it was the total package: the hype, the stats, two undefeated teams, the cross-town rivalry. Here was a contest that some would have said, prior to the game being played, was over-hyped. But after the dust settled it was clear that the newspaper had probably left a little money on the table.

The only other game in this state I can think of that rivals this game is the Rock Hill/Northwestern contest because it was almost an identical context. Two undefeated, highly ranked crosstown rivals meeting late in the season to settle the score with a game that turned out to be one for the ages.

Probably the Rock Hill/Northwestern contest would barely edge the Spartanburg/Dorman one out on 2 subtle points...

1) The Spartanburg/Dorman game ended when, with 7 seconds left, Spartanburg threw a hail mary for the TD and with no time on the clock kicked the winning extra point.

The Rock Hill/Northwestern game went in triple overtime. A triple OT probably gets the nod as far as excitement goes especially one that ends on an equally dramatic catch.

2) The Rock Hill Herald write up on the RH/NW game kinda trumps the Herald Journal's write up on the Spartanburg/Dorman game. The RH Herald actually devoted an entire page to cut-out banners for both sets of fans.

But, as far as reported attendance for both games, the Dorman/Spartanburg game had approximately 2,000 more fans than the RH/NW as reported by both local papers.

Anyway, they were both historic South Carolina football games with an incredible atmosphere.

When I get a chance I'll post the coverage of the RH/NW game if the RH/NW fans would dig that.

Well anyway here are the articles for the Dorman/Spartanburg game both before and after the game...

Well, this is from Monday's paper announcing the tickets for Friday's game...

A curious addition to the same Monday paper is the following letter sent in by a reader. Now Sparty couldn't have been any older than 6 at the time but I'll be damned if he didn't get an early start in life with this bit of Viking propaganda...

Skipping ahead to the Friday morning paper this story is front and center on the front page...

And on the sports page is this spread and accompanying story...

And after the dust had settled...

Enjoy the past Sparty! Ironically, it's all you have to look forward to!
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson