year round school

Things that get off topic.
*No Politics please.
Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Re: year round school

Post by Penguin »

As long as people who work and get paid Pauper's wages, there is going to be a need for government assitance. No fancy words, slogans, or talking points, will change that fact. So, it's either pay a living wage, or have government assistance programs.

And not one single one of you dared to dip their toes into the welafre for the rich schemes by which corporations and big business exist. Nor address the handouts to foreign countries. And you all have managed to sidestep the 760 Trillion dollar Gorilla in the room, Defense spending.

Instead, every single one of you want to make sure that the lower economic class remains just that and dare not try to become your equal in standard of living. Quite the selfish bunch, you all are.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Instead, every single one of you want to make sure that the lower economic class remains just that and dare not try to become your equal in standard of living. Quite the selfish bunch, you all are.
You skirted it last time. I'll ask again, why don't you start by donating the money and possessions you have acquired to the lower economic class? You wouldn't be selfish would you?
What do you say about the immigrants that come here with nothing and make something of themselves? They have DRIVE. They have NO assistance.
You know the old saying....give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
And besides....I pay my dues. It's called TAXES. I went to trade school, it's called DRIVE. I am 45 years old, and graduated in 2020. If I can do it....then by God so can all the slackers sitting on their asses, driving beamers, and swiping EBT cards.
I personally know 20 to 30 people who did not want to return to work because they were collecting more on unemployment and covid relief then they were making while working. They happily exclaimed that they were gonna ride that wave as long as they could. You down with THAT???
That is the mentality that is dragging this country down.

Regardless of your reply, I tap out of the discussion. You are as blue/rooskie as they come. I, for the life of me, don't understand how you and DeCav don't get along. Two peas in a pod y'all are....Peace Out.
"We opened the door to everyone. Its over."
-Tom Knotts

CoachC61
No Team Affiliation

Post by CoachC61 »

So Penguin,

You are good at telling us what we haven't talked about, how about you giving us some solutions. You keep bringing up military spending, and raising the minimum wage or living wage, and foreign aid, how do you propose these issues be resolved please be as descriptive as you want to be. You are quick to group everyone who doesn't have your same opinions into a bad guy role so here is your opportunity to enlighten everyone on your thoughts and opinions. Do I believe our government and its many systems are broken most definitely but until we change the structure of our government and the people that run it and i'm speaking of all parties and politicians it will never get fixed!

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

My solutions: (Just a normal lay person)

1)Every American citizen, babies and up, should be receiving a Government stipend from the use of this country's natural resources. These resources belong to America, it's citizens, not it's Government.

2)Free Government ran Healthcare. A health tax would be added to your weekly deductions. The more that you make, the more that you pay. Social Security and Medicare do this. Essetially Medicare for all.

3)A living minimum wage. I would suggest $20.00 per hour at the present time.

4)6 weeks paid vacation every year to avoid employee burnout.

5)2 months guaranteed sick leave per year. No job loss or demotions due to illness or other Health realted issues.

6)Cut off ALL foreign aid until every American has free education, free healthcare, a home or shelter to live in, and enough food to feed a healthy family.

7)Cut military spending to 2 Trillion per year and only increase that amount by special requests that Congress must approve by 75% of the vote. This will stop most of the waste and abuse.

8)This is the most important fix of all-Impose a non-negotiable import fee on all goods imported to this country that are made by, or part of, any corporation that resides in the USA, or has an officer who resides in the USA or any of it's Territories. This fee would be massive enough to prevent the importation of any good or service that an American based company can produce. Bring our good paying industrial jobs home, or close our markets to those profiting from foreign labor while enjoying our way of life.

Sure, that will increse the price of goods and services, but it will also create massive amounts of good paying jobs, and coupled with that $20.00 per hour minimum wage, put enough money back in the hands of working Americans. All able-bodied Americans would have a good paying job to have, and the number of those not working would reduce drastically. The elderly, disabled, and those forced to care for children, will never go away. We all would just have to bite the bullet and see to it that they are well taken care of. Those who choose to abuse would be shunned and left to do their own bidding. Some will choose this path, but there is no way to alter that. Anyone believing otherwise is living in a world of make believe.

Perfect-no, far from it, but much better than what we have now.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

Penguin wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 pm
The primary objective of schooling is not to play sports. Let's not forget that. Football is not what education is for. Check the percentages of High School kids who wind up in the NFL.

I am no proponent of year round schooling, but a quick glance at how this state stacks up in education is a major red flag that changes are necessary. What those changes are is up for debate, but the status quo doesn't work. If it's broken, try to fix it. In a hole? Then stop digging.

I am not qualified to offer my opinions on how to better educate our youth, but some of the answers lie with more parental involvement. A very tough nut to crack here.
Education is not a priority in the South, and that is the major problem. I was personally involved (deeply) in transforming a textile town's schools ( Ninety Six ) into an elite educational institution with Monsanto providing the funding and support. We got it to the top, so elite that 25% of our students came from out of district, but, we couldn't sustain it at that level; the people just wouldn't do the things necessary to sustain it. In the end they did away with elite education, the 25% of out of district students went back to their schools and the Ninety Six schools fell right back to the bottom. What i learned was there are about 25% of people in the south who treasure excellent education levels and the rest love being illiterate bottom feeders because it is a lot easier to become stupid than to become smart.. It's also the ancestry. People love to blame the low education levels in the south on slavery and they say it will take centuries for the South to catch up but if you read Human Gold in Southern Hills you will see that the whites who migrated from the mountains into the textile towns also had zero education and they present a much bigger problem than those who are descendants of slaves. Until education becomes a priority in the South there is no answer.

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

Penguin wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:32 pm
My solutions: (Just a normal lay person)

1)Every American citizen, babies and up, should be receiving a Government stipend from the use of this country's natural resources. These resources belong to America, it's citizens, not it's Government.

2)Free Government ran Healthcare. A health tax would be added to your weekly deductions. The more that you make, the more that you pay. Social Security and Medicare do this. Essetially Medicare for all.

3)A living minimum wage. I would suggest $20.00 per hour at the present time.

4)6 weeks paid vacation every year to avoid employee burnout.

5)2 months guaranteed sick leave per year. No job loss or demotions due to illness or other Health realted issues.

6)Cut off ALL foreign aid until every American has free education, free healthcare, a home or shelter to live in, and enough food to feed a healthy family.

7)Cut military spending to 2 Trillion per year and only increase that amount by special requests that Congress must approve by 75% of the vote. This will stop most of the waste and abuse.

8)This is the most important fix of all-Impose a non-negotiable import fee on all goods imported to this country that are made by, or part of, any corporation that resides in the USA, or has an officer who resides in the USA or any of it's Territories. This fee would be massive enough to prevent the importation of any good or service that an American based company can produce. Bring our good paying industrial jobs home, or close our markets to those profiting from foreign labor while enjoying our way of life.

Sure, that will increse the price of goods and services, but it will also create massive amounts of good paying jobs, and coupled with that $20.00 per hour minimum wage, put enough money back in the hands of working Americans. All able-bodied Americans would have a good paying job to have, and the number of those not working would reduce drastically. The elderly, disabled, and those forced to care for children, will never go away. We all would just have to bite the bullet and see to it that they are well taken care of. Those who choose to abuse would be shunned and left to do their own bidding. Some will choose this path, but there is no way to alter that. Anyone believing otherwise is living in a world of make believe.

Perfect-no, far from it, but much better than what we have now.
Absolutely agree with all 8 points.

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm
As long as people who work and get paid Pauper's wages, there is going to be a need for government assitance. No fancy words, slogans, or talking points, will change that fact. So, it's either pay a living wage, or have government assistance programs.

And not one single one of you dared to dip their toes into the welafre for the rich schemes by which corporations and big business exist. Nor address the handouts to foreign countries. And you all have managed to sidestep the 760 Trillion dollar Gorilla in the room, Defense spending.

Most folks who scream at welfare and making the rich pay are poor whites themselves. Yes they have a job and can afford to deer hunt but they are too ignorant to realize that their pennies are nothing compared to the shiploads of money the rich are raking in, much from taxpayers money. I have said for years, how the rich have gotten the lowly whites to carry their water is the scam of the century.

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

CoachC61 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 am
Well said SF Dad! If you bump the minimum wages up to $15.00/hr then you will further destroy the peoples drive to excel and make better of themselves! Then throw on top of that government bailouts then they become dependent on the government. Colleges and universities are making a living off of useless degrees, we need to take our schools back to making what they teach relevant to making our young people want to make something of themselves, you don't need a college degree to be successful, you need drive and determination. Like my grandma use to tell me "I will give you a hand up not a hand out". We need hand ups and get everyone going in the right direction and cut out the hand outs except for the truly needy and even then we need to train them to help them be successful. Year round schooling has a lot of benefits and we need to get out of this antiquated school year and become proactive!
You guys couldn't be more wrong about all of this. First, raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour will result in a massive number of new small businesses opening, which is the biggest economic need in our society. Banks no longer fund new businesses and citizens who have the american dream find themselves stranded in start up funding, this, in many cases will break up that financial log jam.

Large corporations are the major recipients of government bailouts.

I hope Coach that you are not sitting on a Phys Ed degree and spitting at other degrees. That would be very hypocritical.

Any kid who is capable of earning a college degree should get one, PERIOD!!!! iT IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY PLUS LIVINGS THAT ARE MADE WITH BACKS BECOME VERY HARD TO SUSTAIN ONCE A PERSON HITS 50 YEARS OLD! Work with your mind if at all possible, your career can be profitable until you are 100.

If either of you had any education in economics you would know that the most costly curse on any society is out of control poverty, nothing costs more.
Last edited by spectator on Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

People also need to learn how to live within their means. People spend way to much money or crap that doesn't matter. I learned this long ago, and I'm happy with life. Do I want the lake house on Lake Murray I went to look at a few weeks back, yes. Could I afford it, yes. But I didn't like the percentage of my take home salary that would be my monthly payment, so I'm staying put for now. Do I have the fanciest car in the world, no, but I drive a car that's 2 years old. Do I have the latest iPhone 57, no, but the phone I have works fine. Do I wear fancy clothing to impress people that don't matter, no, but the stuff I wear covers what it needs to. Do I care about what anybody in the world thinks of me, not a chance. We have a society of people that have been brain washed into think the opinions of other people matter. It matters what they think about your car, your clothes, the phone you have; none of that matters.

I've worked jobs for minimum wage, went back to school in my mid 20's, busted my ass for years to get to where I am. Do I make millions, no, but I make enough to live the life I'm comfortable with. Why, because I worked hard, I did what was necessary, I was up at 4 am. I worked until midnight. I busted my ass every day. Nobody else did it for me, nobody handed it to me.

Now, I'm at a point where I could relax and enjoy stuff, and I do to an extent, but I still work every day like somebody is trying to take it all away from me. I don't want to become complacent. I don't want to think its good enough. I don't want to be satisfied. I'm on a pace where I could "retire" by 40, but I won't.

If anybody is depending on the school system or government to give them what they need to have a successful life, they will never get anywhere.

Some of my favorite quotes from my book of quotes I keep:
"Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune" - Jim Rohn
"If you don't work for it, why do you think you deserve it?" - Marcus Lemonis
"Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content" - Louis L'Amour
"I would rather be tired than poor" - Robert Herjavec
"A salary is the drug they give you to forget your dreams" - Kevin O'Leary
"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self" - Nathan W. Morris
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life" - Steve Jobs