Interview with Coach Gutshall from Dorman

Realignment, Classifications & Regions. Maps of the current classifications and regions.
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Interview with Coach Gutshall from Dorman

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Local ESPN UPSTATE radio show had Coach Gutshall on the other day and they asked him about the "new region"

Byrnes
Boiling Springs
Gaffney
Spartanburg
Dorman

His reply - Not that anyone really cares, but I do not like it at all...

Announcer was puzzled and Coach G pointed out.. I get four games in Region so I have to find 7 more to fill out the schedule and I'm telling you, teams are not standing in line to play Dorman out there. Call Coach Lane over at Byrnes or Coach Miller at Spartanburg and I bet you get the same answer from them...

I'm going to have a lot of trouble putting 7 games on the schedule for non-region match ups. Those Greenville County schools are no longer our Region Games and many of them would not be willing to sign up for non region match ups. I have trouble filling up four games without some travelling involved, but seven?

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: Interview with Coach Gutshall from Dorman

Post by SF Band dad »

Gutshall wrote: I have trouble filling up four games without some travelling involved, but seven?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ~ Region 6

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

SF Band dad wrote:
Gutshall wrote: I have trouble filling up four games without some travelling involved, but seven?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ~ Region 6
Yeah, but the problem here is even with travel, it will be tough for Dorman, Spartanburg and Byrnes to find 7 games. Look at it this way... and this also applies to 8 team Regions in AAAA as well as AAAAA

..........8 team Region..................5 team Region
Week 00 NR Game..........................NR Game
Week 01 NR Game..........................NR Game
Week 02 BYE.................................BYE
Week 03 NR Game..........................NR Game
Week 04 NR Game..........................NR Game
Week 05 R Game............................NR Game
Week 06 R Game............................NR Game
Week 07 R Game............................NR Game

Week 08 R Game............................R Game
Week 09 R Game............................R Game
Week 10 R Game............................R Game
Week 11 R Game............................R Game

Even if you have "willing opponents" who is available in Week 5, 6, 7???? They are all playing REGION games... The only hope is a region nearby with odd number of teams willing to cross bracket... and this is what I think will happen. (Keep in mind, almost everyone is Region 2 this year that moves to 5A Region 3 played Gaffney and one of the other teams as well, Dorman played Gaffney and Rock Hill, Byrnes was NW and Gaffney, B. Springs was NF and Gaffney), so we may end up playing everyone in Region 3 and Region 4 making this a "10 team region".

Region 3
Boiling Springs, Byrnes, Dorman, Gaffney, Spartanburg

Region 4
Clover, Ft. Mill, Nation Ford, Northwestern, Rock Hill

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

I just found this thread but I agree completely. It's hard to schedule non region games. Conway has always had that problem being somewhat isolated. The Charleston schools don't want to play because they can stay nearby without th travel. Wando is bugging out next year so that leaves a spot open. I heard last night we have Nations Ford on the schedule next year which will be interesting.