Team affiliation.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions and a forum for suggesting and discussing ideas about how to improve the board.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Team affiliation.

Post by DeCav »

I ran by SF the idea of utilizing the user group function on this site to create a system for team affiliations and he thought it sounded like a good idea so I wanted to see what the rest of you guys thought.

Here's the basics of how it would work....

There'd be a custom user group created for every team. Members would be encouraged to join whichever usergroup is associated with their team affiliation.

The advantages of this are that...

1) As soon as you join a team, you receive a default avatar of your team's helmet. Members can then change their avatar to a more custom one if they prefer but what this means is that members who either don't know how or don't really care to create an avatar will automatically get one for their team.

2) The color of your screen name will be displayed according to your team's predominant color. Navy for Dorman, Royal Blue for Byrnes Black (or Gold) for Gaffney, Green for Summerville etc...

3) As I understand it, PM's can be sent to your team's group, meaning that in the same way that you can send a PM to another member you can also send a PM to all members affiliated with a team.

For example, a South Florence fan wants to let all the Byrnes fans know that the Rebels suck. (I don't know what the problem is with South Florence fans so don't blame me.) The SF fan can just select the Byrnes group rather than trying to think of and add each member who's a Byrnes fan.

4) For the bean counters it's a simple way to collect data on the balance and distribution of fans on the board.

So what do you guys think?
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: Team affiation.

Post by cavaliereagle »

Sounds great.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

I'll get groups created for all the teams with current representation on the board at the earliest possible moment. Haven't much time to do this today yet.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

DeCav wrote:I'll get groups created for all the teams with current representation on the board at the earliest possible moment. Haven't much time to do this today yet.
It takes you 5 weeks to get over here, now you're in a hurry? :lol:

Have you checked with TrojanFan26? He's got all the helmet logos. His helmet site is up in Useful Links.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

SF Band dad wrote:
DeCav wrote:I'll get groups created for all the teams with current representation on the board at the earliest possible moment. Haven't much time to do this today yet.
It takes you 5 weeks to get over here, now you're in a hurry? :lol:

Have you checked with TrojanFan26? He's got all the helmet logos. His helmet site is up in Useful Links.
He made me some nice ones. He does great work.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Yeah, Ive created the rebel and cavalier group already using his helmets as avatars. They all seem to have a black background though when I copy them from the site. Also I have to use a compression wizard to save them as a 90 pixel file that is under 6 kb. It will be one heck of a labor intensive process to do all teams for all classifications. I believe irfanview has a batch processing feature where I can put all helmets into one folder and then have it convert them all at once according to pixel size and file size.