Hardest post ever to make.

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Hardest post ever to make.

Post by DeCav »

Many of you know my best friend Chuck. There are many pics of him in the photo gallery. Though he never had a Facebook account or PFT account or SCPrep account he nevertheless made the rounds across the state with me for the last 7 years making friends with all the friends I made on the boards.

It breaks my heart to post that Wednesday night between 11 and 12 he died suddenly after a 20 year struggle with heart problems.

The memorial service will be Sunday 3pm at Hatcher Garden on Reidville Rd in Spartanburg.

I can honestly say he never had anything but good things to say about all you guys and had a blast getting to know you!

I was woken up at 12:18 Wednesday night and told the news and headed straight over to his parent's house. That night I asked aloud if I ever wanted to go see another Dorman game again. Chuck and I had attended Dorman games for 23 years together. But where one good friend is gone, many more are there because of these boards and you fans and especially high school football. I think Chuck would want me to keep going so I think I'll keep up the tradition but the Dorman fight song will never be the same for me again.

Peace,
DeCav
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: Hardest post ever to make.

Post by CITYSLICKER »

SORRY, VAMP, LOST MY FOOTBALL BRO IN 2016, HE WENT WITH ME 40 YEARS THEN GOT WHERE HE COULDN'T SEE. LIFE GOES ON. HE ALSO RODE TO WORK WITH ME FOR 24 YEARS. MISS YOU ALVIN TO THIS DAY.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

EHSMeanGreen
Easley Green Wave

Post by EHSMeanGreen »

Deepest Condolences to his family and friends.
Very sad. :cry:

Really enjoyed the times that I had to meet Chuck and his family.
Thanks so much for the hospitality that you guys have shown me and my family.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Sorry to hear that Decav thoughts and prayers to you and his family may God give yall peace in this most difficult time

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

DeCav,
Please let us know if there is anything we can do for his family.

Ruben

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

CITYSLICKER wrote:SORRY, VAMP, LOST MY FOOTBALL BRO IN 2016, HE WENT WITH ME 40 YEARS THEN GOT WHERE HE COULDN'T SEE. LIFE GOES ON. HE ALSO RODE TO WORK WITH ME FOR 24 YEARS. MISS YOU ALVIN TO THIS DAY.
Thanks Billy. We go back and forth a bit but you know I don't mean any of the despicable things I say about you. I really do appreciate you offering your sympathies and man it is so freaking difficult to deal with this. I'm seeing the family every other day now and it's just painful to be around his parents and his children and his wife and know he's never going to be there again or at another football game. I don't even know what to think about next season. I can't remember a season that I didn't watch football games with my friend. I know that I'll be ok and life will go on but it's hard to accept.

Allow me to reciprocate my sympathies to you also concerning the loss of your friend. My dad always said you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. Well it sounds like the two of us chose our friends well.

Peace and Love you crazy clown,
DeCav
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

HE WAS BLACK AND THAT WAS DIFFICULT WAY BACK THEN, HE WAS ALWAYS READY TO GO WITH ME WHEN I CALLED TILL ONE DAY HE COULDN'T SEE TO GET UP THE STANDS, EVEN THEN, I WOULD LET HIM GO DOWN BY HOLDING MY SHOULDER, WHEN HE DIED AND I WENT TO THE FUNERAL, ONLY WHITE IN THE CHURCH OR HALF WHITE, THEY DO DIFFERENT FOR A FUNERAL IN BLACK CHURCHES, 3 HOURS LATER, IT WAS A CELEBRATION NOT A SAD THING, I ENJOYED THE SINGING AND CELEBRATION, DIDN'T THINK IT WAS GOING TO END AND DIDN'T CARE.
I HAVE ANOTHER FRIEND GOING NOW, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, MISS YOU ALVIN. VAMP,I FEEL YOUR FEELINGS AND NEVER TAKE YOUR TEASING SERIOUSLY, ITS ALL IN GOOD FUN HERE.
Last edited by CITYSLICKER on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

I too have recently lost someone. We used to camp and fish, I coached and even played softball with her for many years, we went to football games, I don't think any of the recent state championship games that I attended that she wasn't there. She babysat for my kids and I babysat her. It was my little sister who suffered 7 or 8 strokes. On Feb 13th, she and my wife, my daughter and my sister in law were planning a trip to Charlotte to the Concord Mill Outlet, Bass Pro Shops and a stop at Cabo Fish Taco's that we had recently seen on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. But the next day, she was dizzy and throwing up and she called me telling me that she had vertigo like I had a few months ago. Then on Friday, she was totally disoriented, slurred speech and Mom thought her blood pressure was the issue. Took her to the ER and from there we were at Neuro ICU and after two weeks, she was transferred to Hospice House where she passed on March 6th.

I learned two things during this:

1. When the preacher says we are not promised tomorrow, they are not just repeating some phrase they learned in seminary, they are telling you the truth. Tuesday she was planning a trip, Sunday she spoke to us the last time.

2. Being the oldest and being the STRONG one.... that job sucks.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

EHSMeanGreen wrote:Deepest Condolences to his family and friends.
Very sad. :cry:

Really enjoyed the times that I had to meet Chuck and his family.
Thanks so much for the hospitality that you guys have shown me and my family.
Jack, thank you so much. Chuck enjoyed you also and was always tickled to see your son there dancing after a Dorman touchdown. He always thought highly of your knowledge of the game and your intuitions. Probably nobody here knows this yet but although Jack likes to be discreet and hard to identify he never the less was pictured front and centered at Chuck’s memorial service. See, the family had many photo dislpays there and right there in one of the photos was ole EHS Meangreen himself at a football game with Chuck. Man it’s gonna be hard looking through those photos.

Peace be with you Jack,
Sincerely,
DeCav

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:I too have recently lost someone. We used to camp and fish, I coached and even played softball with her for many years, we went to football games, I don't think any of the recent state championship games that I attended that she wasn't there. She babysat for my kids and I babysat her. It was my little sister who suffered 7 or 8 strokes. On Feb 13th, she and my wife, my daughter and my sister in law were planning a trip to Charlotte to the Concord Mill Outlet, Bass Pro Shops and a stop at Cabo Fish Taco's that we had recently seen on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. But the next day, she was dizzy and throwing up and she called me telling me that she had vertigo like I had a few months ago. Then on Friday, she was totally disoriented, slurred speech and Mom thought her blood pressure was the issue. Took her to the ER and from there we were at Neuro ICU and after two weeks, she was transferred to Hospice House where she passed on March 6th.

I learned two things during this:

1. When the preacher says we are not promised tomorrow, they are not just repeating some phrase they learned in seminary, they are telling you the truth. Tuesday she was planning a trip, Sunday she spoke to us the last time.

2. Being the oldest and being the STRONG one.... that job sucks.
Ken that’s a hard story to hear. Many sympathies to you for your life. I declare i just don’t know what it is about football that makes a friendship so much better. But I’m deeply sorry for your loss.

SFBand Dad to answer your question there’s actually a couple of things you could do...

1) The family has set up a trust fund for the children’s education. They have enough to begin college but not enough necessarily to finish it.

The Plemmons family has humbly requested that any gestures or tributes that friends or family wish to make be directed to:

Plemmons college education trust c/o Sun Trust Bank 350 east henry street Spartanburg SC 29302

Of course no amount is too small. This trust will help Dakota Plemmons and Savannah Plemmons with their college aspirations. Dakota I believe has already been accepted to USCS here in Spartanburg. Savannah is still a junior at Dorman.

Or you could swing by and pick up a plant or two from Plemmons West View Greenhouses this season.

Of course if anyone is interested in volunteer work, they’ll always give you something to do.

Or something else you could do...this guy I know who has his own youtube channel dedicated one of his newest to Charles Plemmons. It would be a cool way to show you appreciate that by subscribing to his YouTube channel and maybe leaving a cooment how how you knew charles and he was a cool guy.

Or we can just wait till the season starts back and we’ll renew out fellowship.