Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Post by SF Band dad »

Hey BEF, I don't know what you are whining about, this looks perfectly balanced to me. :? :? :lol:

Chris Miller
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Gene Knight
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Robert Earl Carter
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Kevin Robbins
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Moe Bell
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Scott Wells
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Chuck Roberts
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Brown Simpson
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Chet Tucker
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Andy Robbins
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Mario Washington
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Matt Hiers
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Matthew Kreh
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Tyler Cupp
WPUB radio Camden, Voice of the Lugoff-Elgin Demons

Tyler Shugart
FOXSPORTS Radio, Spartanburg

Matt Barber
DixieFriedSports, Previously with FOXSPORTS Columbia, Voice of Chapin football

Ryan Clary
FOXSPORTS Radio, Spartanburg, Voice of the S'burg Vikings

Greg McKinney
ESPN UPSTATE, Voice of the Byrnes Rebels

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

Post by BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN »

SF Band dad wrote:Hey BEF, I don't know what you are whining about, this looks perfectly balanced to me. :? :? :lol:

Chris Miller
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Gene Knight
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Robert Earl Carter
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Kevin Robbins
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Moe Bell
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Scott Wells
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Chuck Roberts
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Brown Simpson
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Chet Tucker
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Andy Robbins
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Mario Washington
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Matt Hiers
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Matthew Kreh
WRHI radio, Rock Hill

Tyler Cupp
WPUB radio Camden, Voice of the Lugoff-Elgin Demons

Tyler Shugart
FOXSPORTS Radio, Spartanburg

Matt Barber
DixieFriedSports, Previously with FOXSPORTS Columbia, Voice of Chapin football

Ryan Clary
FOXSPORTS Radio, Spartanburg, Voice of the S'burg Vikings

Greg McKinney
ESPN UPSTATE, Voice of the Byrnes Rebels

Ha Ha. Thanks SF Band dad!!!! That is what I was wondering. That is why I think that the State Journalism Poll is better then this one. Their pollsters are based all over the state. Sorry to everyone that thought I was trying to make a big deal out of upperstate and lowerstate. I don't have anything against upperstate teams. I have some teams that I like from the Upstate and I have some really great friends from the Upstate. I know that the Upperstate has always had some great teams but this year there are some pretty good teams in the lowerstate-lowcountry also. My whole thing about this poll was where their pollsters were from. A BIG thanks to SF Band dad for getting me the details. Good luck to all the teams this year including the Upstate teams.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
Beaufort Head Football Coach Bryce Lybrand is 41-17 after his 5th Season at Beaufort
2022 3A State Football Champions
3 State Titles in Football
I have attended 624 Beaufort Football Games
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

Penguin wrote:I, personally, could care less about polls. Games are played on the field and I cannot ever remember a football game that was won or lost just by talking about it. Now I am going to go out on a limb here and say that my friend BEF was NOT inferring that the polls were biased towards any teams, one way or the other. I believe that he was just pointing out that this poll in particular, has mostly voters who primarily see upperstate teams and seldom see lowerstate teams. I do not think that he was trying to rekindle that old debate about the upperstate dominance in the recent past. Nobody that knows anything about SC High School football can make an intelligent argument against that.

Awesome post Penguin!!!! I completely agree with you.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
Beaufort Head Football Coach Bryce Lybrand is 41-17 after his 5th Season at Beaufort
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!

EHSMeanGreen
Easley Green Wave

Post by EHSMeanGreen »

I like all the polls.... glad they post them here. :D :D
Typically creates good discussions.

Normally you can pick out something to disagree with in most polls.

Maybe we should create an SCPrepTalk top 10. :idea: Posters can vote....
Then the media members that participate in the other polls could come here and blister our Top 10. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We covet what we see. ;)

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Post by FootballFan4343 »

Penguin wrote:I, personally, could care less about polls. Games are played on the field and I cannot ever remember a football game that was won or lost just by talking about it. Now I am going to go out on a limb here and say that my friend BEF was NOT inferring that the polls were biased towards any teams, one way or the other. I believe that he was just pointing out that this poll in particular, has mostly voters who primarily see upperstate teams and seldom see lowerstate teams. I do not think that he was trying to rekindle that old debate about the upperstate dominance in the recent past. Nobody that knows anything about SC High School football can make an intelligent argument against that.
Penguin. Appreciate the response, but will have to respectfully disagree. BEF actually said the following:

Thanks SFBanddad. I was really wondering this. Because most of the time on their polls it seems like they have a very Upstate influence. :o. They say it is Statewide but they always have very few lowcountry teams in their polls. Thanks for checking.

It seems pretty clear that he is blaming the "Upstate influence" in polls on where the voters are from. The bottom line is the Upper State has owned this state for the past 20 years. The fact that polls show an upstate influence is completely based on history. All polls are subject to the voters, even the AP Top 25 in college football. Is the fact that the top 25 has more voters from the south is that the reason for SEC continuing to dominate the top 25? No, the voters from the south are more established and have been in their current jobs for a long time and understand the landscape of college football. Could that be the case with this poll? I know many of those guys on that list have been covering high school football for decades in this state.
Look, if the poll had Northwestern in it this week or Rock Hill high in the top 10 or something, I get it. But the poll seems pretty much in line with others we are seeing around the state, including maxpreps. It may be off a position or two, but the top 10 teams are in line with pretty much everything else.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

EHSMeanGreen wrote:I like all the polls.... glad they post them here. :D :D

Then the media members that participate in the other polls could come here and blister our Top 10. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We covet what we see. ;)
actually told DECAV we should do this at the end of last year...but u'd have some tough nuts to be one of the pollsters...I think it would would generate traffic.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

mikey wrote:
EHSMeanGreen wrote:I like all the polls.... glad they post them here. :D :D

We covet what we see. ;)
actually told DECAV we should do this at the end of last year...but u'd have some tough nuts to be one of the pollsters...I think it would would generate traffic.
I would be in. Only thing is would our poll not be the same thing we are harping on the other polls about? I can't imagine anybody on this board follows High School football like those that are PAID to do it. Secondly, how many of us really study the other teams around the state outside of the teams our favorite teams play or our favorite team. So, our poll would have the same exact issues that we claim the other polls have.

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

FootballFan4343 wrote:
Penguin. Appreciate the response, but will have to respectfully disagree. BEF actually said the following:

Thanks SFBanddad. I was really wondering this. Because most of the time on their polls it seems like they have a very Upstate influence. :o. They say it is Statewide but they always have very few lowcountry teams in their polls. Thanks for checking.

It seems pretty clear that he is blaming the "Upstate influence" in polls on where the voters are from. The bottom line is the Upper State has owned this state for the past 20 years. The fact that polls show an upstate influence is completely based on history. All polls are subject to the voters, even the AP Top 25 in college football. Is the fact that the top 25 has more voters from the south is that the reason for SEC continuing to dominate the top 25? No, the voters from the south are more established and have been in their current jobs for a long time and understand the landscape of college football. Could that be the case with this poll? I know many of those guys on that list have been covering high school football for decades in this state.
Look, if the poll had Northwestern in it this week or Rock Hill high in the top 10 or something, I get it. But the poll seems pretty much in line with others we are seeing around the state, including maxpreps. It may be off a position or two, but the top 10 teams are in line with pretty much everything else.

Hey FootBallFan4343. Like I posted earlier the only thing that I wondered about was where the pollsters were from this poll. SF Band dad got me that info. Thanks for your input. Like I said I don't have anything against the Upperstate or Lowerstate. But the thing I like about polls is when the pollsters are from all around the state. That is why I think the State Journalists Poll is the best one. The people picking that poll is from all over the state from Bluffton to the Upstate. I have been a member on these football boards for many many many years and everyone knows that I have never said anything negative about any teams on here except my stepdaddy Slicker's Burpley Stags of course but that is only because he is always cutting down My Beaufort Eagles. :mrgreen:. It is all in fun with Slicker. Good luck to your team FootBallFan4343!!!! Take care.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN wrote:
FootballFan4343 wrote:

Hey FootBallFan4343. Like I posted earlier the only thing that I wondered about was where the pollsters were from this poll. SF Band dad got me that info. Thanks for your input. Like I said I don't have anything against the Upperstate or Lowerstate. But the thing I like about polls is when the pollsters are from all around the state. That is why I think the State Journalists Poll is the best one. The people picking that poll is from all over the state from Bluffton to the Upstate. I have been a member on these football boards for many many many years and everyone knows that I have never said anything negative about any teams on here except my stepdaddy Slicker's Burpley Stags of course but that is only because he is always cutting down My Beaufort Eagles. :mrgreen:. It is all in fun with Slicker. Good luck to your team FootBallFan4343!!!! Take care.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
BEF,
I am not doubting that you were wondering where said pollsters are from, however you clearly stated that your reason for wondering was because of an "Upstate Influence" in the polls. So, therefore you are saying that the reason for the dominance of Upstate teams is due to the voters on the poll instead of the fact that Upstate teams dominate the state. I get it that the voters might be from the upstate, but has it ever dawned on people that the reason Upstate teams dominate the poll is less to do with the voters and more to do with the fact that they are, in fact, better than teams in the lowcountry? In addition, nowhere in any of my posts did I say you said anything negative about any teams. My response continues to be that your initial questioning of who the voters are is because, to quote you, the "Upstate Influence" of the polls.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Definition of influence
plural influences
1 : the power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways : sway
2 a : the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command
b : corrupt interference with authority for personal gain
3 : one that exerts influence
4 : an emanation of spiritual or moral force

Definition of bias
1 a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates (2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others

Look at that, two different words and two different meanings. INFLUENCE Sway and BIAS a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgement.

Based on personal experiences, I know a lot more about the teams in Spartanburg, Greenville, Gaffney and Rock Hill area. I know much less about teams in the Columbia area and the Pee Dee area. Due to friends and visiting a few games over the years, I know a little bit about Charleston area schools and Beaufort.

Therefore, I am very likely to be influenced to add teams from those areas over teams from Columbia and Pee Dee. Dutch Fork would likely be the only team from Region 4 or 5 that I would put in the top 10.

If I were biased {as a FYI, we are all biased to some extent, some more than others} I wouldn't put Dutch Fork at #1 because I'd say that the best team in the state has to be from the Upper State.

I think BEF just made a choice in the word and had no intention of opening this can of worms. He was simply stating what most of us knew would be true, the poll was heavily influenced with voters from one particular area, yet they implied in the name, that it was a state wide broadcasters poll.

:lol:

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--