Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Re: Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Post by CITYSLICKER »

WHAT THE FRICK DOES A DAMN OLD WASHED UP BURNS PEBBLE KNOW.
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

Re: Broadcasters' Statewide Poll Week 2

Post by BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:Definition of influence
plural influences
1 : the power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways : sway
2 a : the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command
b : corrupt interference with authority for personal gain
3 : one that exerts influence
4 : an emanation of spiritual or moral force

Definition of bias
1 a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates (2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others

Look at that, two different words and two different meanings. INFLUENCE Sway and BIAS a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgement.

Based on personal experiences, I know a lot more about the teams in Spartanburg, Greenville, Gaffney and Rock Hill area. I know much less about teams in the Columbia area and the Pee Dee area. Due to friends and visiting a few games over the years, I know a little bit about Charleston area schools and Beaufort.

Therefore, I am very likely to be influenced to add teams from those areas over teams from Columbia and Pee Dee. Dutch Fork would likely be the only team from Region 4 or 5 that I would put in the top 10.

If I were biased {as a FYI, we are all biased to some extent, some more than others} I wouldn't put Dutch Fork at #1 because I'd say that the best team in the state has to be from the Upper State.

I think BEF just made a choice in the word and had no intention of opening this can of worms. He was simply stating what most of us knew would be true, the poll was heavily influenced with voters from one particular area, yet they implied in the name, that it was a state wide broadcasters poll.

:lol:

Thanks Rebel-Fan-74. I agree. Great post!!!!

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
Beaufort Head Football Coach Bryce Lybrand is 41-17 after his 5th Season at Beaufort
2022 3A State Football Champions
3 State Titles in Football
I have attended 624 Beaufort Football Games
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!