Improvements

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions and a forum for suggesting and discussing ideas about how to improve the board.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Improvements

Post by DeCav »

Just letting you guys know that always digging and googling about ways to make the board better.

Here's some of the things I've been spending my time on...

1) An instant chat system of the forum. mchat might work but what bugs me about it is that it looks like just a chat room where anyone could jump in and chat as a group. Obviously that might be fun in certain contexts but it's really just a fast and loose version of a thread with (I would assume) no log or history. What I really would like is something like a shoutbox. You click on someones' screen name and can send them a message which literally pops up on their forum screen where they can type back. Just like instant messenger, only two people and totally private, no inbox, no outbox and no "full inbox" crap.

I haven't really found enough info on a private instant chat client for the board. If I dig up something that looks promising I'll let SF know. I don't wanna send him on a wild goose chase when he has so many other things going on.

2) RSS feed feature. I don't understand how RSS works exactly but from what I've read it might be a great feature if users utilized it. I notice there is an RSS button at the bottom of the screen on every topic and forum. Apparently the way this would work is, if you see a topic you want to follow or indeed a whole forum, you click the RSS button and if you have set everything up correctly, you'll get automatic updates on your smart phone or web browsers about that topic. I'm going to do more research on it. I have an ipod and my wife has a galaxy phone so I'm gonna try and see how to make that viable or if it's just a hassle.

3) Pick Em Poll option. I know SF is looking into this on the phpbb site. There is some mention of a mod called Poll Results FX. It would appear to let you see who voted for what on a poll or something to that affect. I couldn't find the mod, only a mention of it in another thread.

4) Live Scoreboard. It seems to me that it would be doable as an actual forum catagory. It seems that with modification to the phpbb code we should be able to format a forum section so that topics are not linearly horizontal with one topic on one line. I bet you could have a layout like you see on live scoreboard sites where we could do topics as a table with rows and columns. Lock them to all but verified individuals who have access to them via smartphones from the games and you have a live scoreboard. The scores are all flying around on Friday night from phone to phone. We just have to aggregate them. I was thinking we have half a dozen "hubs" who would be people with the technology to log on and update scores. These hubs would each be collecting scores via text message or twitter from other games.

Add a modification that auto refreshes the page and you have true live scoreboard that anyone can access. If you get the most comprehensive one going then that's a wrap! We'll bring people in from everywhere.

5) I saw Dave Pickren at Paul's before the game Friday and he sat with us and talked some football. He mentioned a new High School sports paper that a friend of his has started. They've only just put out their 2nd issue and they're already in the black as far as advertising. We should see to partner with them. We would portal their paper and website (if they have one) and they would portal our forum. Obviously if they don't have an online version of their hard copy then it's probably not as sexy of an option. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the paper. DUH!

I think it's this one....

www.hssr.com

Dave said they were thinking of starting a forum for their site. This would be a great opportunity to partner with them. We should contact them ASAP.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Re: Improvements

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

He may have been talking about Jed Blackwells's site (I posted a note about it in http://www.scpreptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=560

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Re: Improvements

Post by DeCav »

Yep, you are exactly right! Jed Blackwell is the name he gave me. I just googled and thought HSSR might be the one he talked about.

You have any thoughts about contacting them?
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson