Afro American Schools

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Afro American Schools

Post by Dave Pickren »

Finally was able to put together a full list of all AA schools which existed prior to integration.

Fascinating look at this vital unknown part of our history.

If anyone knows the mascots of these schools then please let me know.

Thanks
Dave

http://www.scfootballhistory.com/wordpress/?p=2836

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Re: Afro American Schools

Post by Penguin »

In northern Beaufort County we had the Robert Smalls Generals and the St. Helena Eagles. Those 2 schools were merged with the Beaufort High Tidal Wave to become the now, Beaufort High Eagles. The Green and White colors were from Robert Smalls, the Eagles mascot came from St. Helena, and the Beaufort High name came from the Tidal Wave.

If I am not mistaken, the MC Riley High School in Bluffton was known as the Gators.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

Booker T. Washington Golden Tornadoes, great name!!

good resource, thanks for posting

Use to teach with a guy named Robert Smalls, wonder if there is a connection?

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

Rock Hill had Emmett Scott, I think it was the Rattlers

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Onion Rings wrote:Booker T. Washington Golden Tornadoes, great name!!

The Robert Smalls that the school was named after was a very famous former slave from Beaufort, who along with other slaves, commandeered a Confederate warship and sailed it into Union waters for it to be commissioned into a Union Warship. He returned to Beaufort after the War and become a prominent Congressman during reconstruction.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

Ill never forget going to Darlington to play Mayo. :D

WRHIRadio
WRHI Radio - OTS Sports Network AM:1340 FM:94.3

Post by WRHIRadio »

Dave Pickren wrote:Finally was able to put together a full list of all AA schools which existed prior to integration.

Fascinating look at this vital unknown part of our history.

If anyone knows the mascots of these schools then please let me know.

Thanks
Dave

http://www.scfootballhistory.com/wordpress/?p=2836
Looks like the Emmett Scott Rattlers in Rock Hill are missing

AHS14
Abbeville Panthers

Post by AHS14 »

In Abbeville, the school was Josephine Spearman (J.S) Wright High School, think you got it misspelled. The mascot was the Wildcats.
School was on Branch St from the late 50s to 2002, in 70s after integration it became Wright Middle School. In 2002 a new Wright Middle was built on Hwy 71 and the legacy of the school still lives on today.
In fact, in 1971 (first year of full integration in Abbeville County), Abbeville won its first state championship in any sport, the 1971 Class AAA Championship in football.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

Penguin wrote:
Onion Rings wrote:Booker T. Washington Golden Tornadoes, great name!!

The Robert Smalls that the school was named after was a very famous former slave from Beaufort, who along with other slaves, commandeered a Confederate warship and sailed it into Union waters for it to be commissioned into a Union Warship. He returned to Beaufort after the War and become a prominent Congressman during reconstruction.
Enjoyable history lesson. There are things in Cheraw, SC named after Mr Smalls as well. I never took the time to learn anything about him though. I plan to do so now though. Thanks for piquing my interest.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

Whittemore Bulldogs in Conway was purple and gold. Conway was green and white. When Whittemore was combined with Conway the gold was added to the school colors. There is lots of memorabilia in the Horry County museum in Conway of Whittemore high. The purple robe the homecoming queen wore is displayed and lots of pictures. You still see people wearing shirts and hats around town. Part of the old high school building is still standing and is now Whittemore Park middle school but was renovated at one time and is now scheduled to be replaced.