Playoffs

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
uknowit
No Team Affiliation

Re: Playoffs

Post by uknowit »

So true. And the pollsters always fall in live with those early season darlings that build a gaudy record playing cupcakes.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

Damefan wrote:
bigdog2003 wrote:
Damefan wrote:Why is it necessary for anyone beyond the Region Champions to play in the playoff besides money? If you win your Region your reward is the playoffs, if your worried about money play an 11th or 12th game and call it done. Teams that have a losing record don't deserve to be in the playoffs. It is already ridiculous that the NCAA plays bowl games where you can have a losing record, and play cupcake games against inferior teams to pad your record. High Schools are now doing the same to make their season look good. The stands are empty at so many of your stadiums folks. Wake Up!! Demand better!!
Why even all the region champions? If you won the region but went 0-5 in the non-region should you still get in? It won't be the first time a team went 0-5 to start the year and went 5-0 in the region. What if they go 4-1 and win the region? They would have a losing record overall but be region champions.

As for stands being empty, there are so many ways to follow games now without going. There was a time I didn't miss a Newberry game, home or away, now I don't care if I go or not most weeks. I had about a 10 year streak of not missing a game, most of the years I didn't miss jamborees or scrimmages. I can listen to WKDK while I do other stuff like build my business at home. Heck, Chapin shows all of their home games for free on youtube, why do you need to go if you are a Chapin fan? Its the same as I look at Carolina games now. I use to have great season tickets, lower level, about 15 rows up from the field with a great view of everything, but I don't get them any more. The reason being they show every game on TV, I don't have to deal with traffic, don't have to deal with drunk idiots (especially throwing up right next to me), don't have to pay to park. I do go to some Newberry College games. I park at my Grandma's house, walk a block to the stadium, get my ticket, get something to drink, go to my favorite seat, and enjoy the game.

I was half joking with some of the athletic department staff at Newberry after the stadium renovations, I told them they should have built suites in the press box for fans because I would have paid to sit away from everybody. I hate dealing with idiots at games. I go to the game to watch, not to hear gossip, not to watch your kid run in front of me for the 500th time in the first quarter to go to the concession stand, not to get asked by you "what did they throw the flag for?" There are other things at this point in my life that I can do rather than go to games.
To answer you question honestly, some coaches do try to prepare their teams by playing teams that are higher caliber so when they encounter a tough opponent they are better prepared for their region opponents and it also shows what a good team can aspire to be when building a program. Secondly, if you are in a rural area and the closest teams are better than you but are willing to play you it can save and make you money to pay the bills with. All budgets are not the same.

Finally, I do understand your plight concerning where to sit at games. We usually sit on the visitors side always unless it is a big rivalry game then it doesn't matter. We are left alone and most of the time there are very few people around us. There are so many more options to watch these days, so if you are fortunate enough to have that benefit good for you. We like to travel the state on Friday nights to find the best games since we are a bunch of retired coaches and we enjoy finding bbq joints to eat at.
I have been doing more of this in recent years. Since the kids I coached at are now playing in college, I usually pick a game and go somewhere. Now, I did sit on the visitor's side at the Newberry/MC game Friday due to it being rec football night and I enjoyed it a lot more. Being up on the hill at Newberry gives you a much better view. I may start sitting on the hill from now on.

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

uknowit wrote:So true. And the pollsters always fall in live with those early season darlings that build a gaudy record playing cupcakes.
like?