How Will The SCHSL Protect the Kids and Coaches

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
OLDFART51
Woodruff Wolverines

Re: How Will The SCHSL Protect the Kids and Coaches

Post by OLDFART51 »

This post is getting old. We understand that you are a lib. You will continue with your negative comments until the very end. Three people have tried to explain to you including myself that numbers are raw and the more people tested will increase the total number. Charge on my friend but I have no more interest in your comments.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

OMG stop trying to sit here and tell somebody that its a gloom and doom and that the sky is falling. Damn the numbers are goin up because they are testing more. OMG how hard is to comprehend that damn its getting old listening to the same old liberal media bullImage and the same bullImage that we ain't playing football at any level. Please stop trying to tell us that you know better by looking at bullImage numbers if your are so damn scared please keep your ass at home but the majority of the state and country are ready to get back to doing what we want and are tired of being told you can't and you won't

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Post by FootballFan4343 »

spectator wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 pm
FootballFan4343 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:56 am
For those wondering the status of things moving forward, here is a pretty telling article from the Governor. He notes that mass closings are over and people will need to be responsible for their own individual health. As someone who has made a living reading "between the lines" of politicians, this is code for, it is now ON YOU individually. That statement makes it clear that he will be opening schools back up and subsequently athletics to go along with. Each school district will now make their own decision, but expect most, if not all, school districts to open and play sports (as they will attempt to keep up with each other).

https://www.counton2.com/news/south-car ... ases-rise/
285 new cases today.........between 266 and 331 new cases each day for the last 5 days...........as long as this keeps up nothing is opening regardless of what our "no governor" is saying..............common sense tells you if we shut down for 125 cases per day we can't open back up with twice that many cases each day.............the voice of reason............
As has been noted 1908390204 times on this post and by the Governor himself, the shutdown had very little to do with the amount of cases. The shutdown was based on models that predicted our hospitals being overrun with COVID-19 patients. He has since noted that our testing and contact tracing was not up to par in March as well. Since then our testing has amped up, exponentially and we now have the ability to contact trace cases on a consistent basis. Even with all of that we are not seeing hospitalizations rise at all. We are still averaging ONLY 400 patients, per day, statewide. That is the reason for his comments that he will not shut anything else down.
At the end of the day, despite your feelings, it DOES NOT MATTER. Things will continue to open back up and you can make the decision as to whether or not to participate. That is exactly what he said. It is now on YOU to do what you feel is necessary to protect yourself. If you choose to home school your children, that is fine and the state will work with you to make that possible. If you want to wear a mask all the time, wonderful, that is your right and your choice. If you want to stay at home and not go to football games, again that is your right and your choice.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

racincowboy02 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 am
OMG stop trying to sit here and tell somebody that its a gloom and doom and that the sky is falling. Damn the numbers are goin up because they are testing more. OMG how hard is to comprehend that damn its getting old listening to the same old liberal media bullImage and the same bullImage that we ain't playing football at any level. Please stop trying to tell us that you know better by looking at bullImage numbers if your are so damn scared please keep your ass at home but the majority of the state and country are ready to get back to doing what we want and are tired of being told you can't and you won't
You are making perfect points. It is clear now that this poster has a built in bias that attempts to change the narrative to fit his feelings. The reason for the shutdowns was always to keep our hospitals from being overrun. That was achieved and now things are opening back up. Despite your feelings on the current riots around the country, those make it nearly impossible to attempt to lock down our country again. Multiple people have said the lockdown was a powder keg just waiting to have its fuse lit and the awful death of George Floyd provided that spark.

Cover Three
No Team Affiliation

Post by Cover Three »

On that, I totally disagree. You most definitely will see college and pro football. Money stops all nonsense. And there is waaaaay too much money hanging in the balance for them not to play. And just like the high schools, the colleges need that football money to pay for all the sports that produce no revenue. So unless there is a 2nd wave of this virus where folks start dropping like flies, you will see college.
I just don't know about high school. I sure hope so. But the decisions that the administrators make will probably be based on the most dire of projections.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Cover Three wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 am
On that, I totally disagree. You most definitely will see college and pro football. Money stops all nonsense. And there is waaaaay too much money hanging in the balance for them not to play. And just like the high schools, the colleges need that football money to pay for all the sports that produce no revenue. So unless there is a 2nd wave of this virus where folks start dropping like flies, you will see college.
I just don't know about high school. I sure hope so. But the decisions that the administrators make will probably be based on the most dire of projections.
Unless this suddenly starts to effect children/teenagers/etc, high school athletics will continue in South Carolina. Governor McMaster has already made it clear that he will not be issuing any new "lockdowns" or shutdowns. So that, in itself, tells you once things open back up, they are happening. With summer workouts to start next week and our state still only with 400 current hopitalized from COVID-19, we will continue to move forward. People need to remember that the lockdowns/shutting school down/etc were based on models that projected north of 5,000 hospitalized at a given time and our medical facilities being over-run. In reality, we have been about about 8% of that. Despite more testing, our hospital numbers are not growing. That is because as we do more testing, we are getting proof to what we anticipated, that the virus was much more prevalent that we thought in the community and much less lethal. Everyday that we see cases in the two hundreds only takes the death percentage down. The CDC now estimates a mortality rate of .4%, which is 4 deaths for every 1,000 people that have the disease. Those numbers pale in comparison to initial projections of 5-10% mortality rates. Now, 10 weeks later, we know the dangers of the disease and can test and manage it. THAT is why things are opening and will continue to open.
With that said, it is likely we will have some kind of attendance restrictions at football games, of all levels, in the fall. Best guess is 50% capacity. Also, it is likely student athletes will sign a waiver (which will now include infections) to play high school sports. Waivers are never iron clad legal documents, but they make it much more difficult to successfully sue someone.

AHS14
Abbeville Panthers

Post by AHS14 »

I would expect restrictions on attendance (for example 50%, requiring all fans to wear facemasks, etc), which I'm sure the public won't react well to at some places. For the players themselves, I think play will continue as normal, but schools will need to given the infrastructure and resources to do regular testing on players and coaches (weekly?). Possibly, they may also want send younger referees to games as the elderly are at a higher risk for the virus. 7 on 7's might not happen this summer.

Expect football, but don't be surprised/upset if SOME things aren't changed/done differently.

FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

AHS14 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:01 pm
I would expect restrictions on attendance (for example 50%, requiring all fans to wear facemasks, etc), which I'm sure the public won't react well to at some places. For the players themselves, I think play will continue as normal, but schools will need to given the infrastructure and resources to do regular testing on players and coaches (weekly?). Possibly, they may also want send younger referees to games as the elderly are at a higher risk for the virus. 7 on 7's might not happen this summer.

Expect football, but don't be surprised/upset if SOME things aren't changed/done differently.
From what I am hearing, most of what you have said is likely. The only exception would be the requirement of masks for fans, it looks like that will be a suggestion. The argument I have heard is masks aren't required by restaurant patrons, so how can you force specators, in an outside venue, to do so. Now, inside sports like basketball, volleyball, etc, who knows. But again, I go back to whats being done in restaurants. Also, keep in mind it is highly likely we will be back to 75% capacity at restaurants by the end of the month and 100% by the end of July, so how does that play into it?
With that said, I am not sure 50% attendance really hurts MOST football games. Lets face it, not every stadium is packed every Friday night. Some games, yes, this will be a pain and hurt schools financially. But I have been to many a game at 4A and 5A stadiums that seat 6-7k and only 2,000 fans are present.

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

HuskiesCoach wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:17 pm
spectator wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:06 pm
297 new cases today..............not looking good at all............
It was a rate of 7% positive for the numbers today which were actually collected yesterday. DHEC officials have said that the first week of June was going to be some of the highest numbers. Maybe it was because of the time period after Memorial Day weekend. I know that you are always saying that “it doesn’t look good.” What if the numbers start taking a drastic downturn and the percentage of positives falls below 3% on a daily basis? Would you start to change your tune? Also, the CDC wants this to go as long as it can because this is how they make their money.
I want to see football ..........i would love to see a sudden and consistent downturn..............but, what i am seeing out in public doesn't give me a lot of hope..........we can't poke the stick at the snake and expect a good outcome...........regardless of any agendas, these numbers are what they are.........instead of crying like children and going out in public with no protection, we need to use masks and discipline if we want to see football games this fall...........

spectator
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by spectator »

FootballFan4343 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 am
Cover Three wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 am
Unless this suddenly starts to effect children/teenagers/etc, high school athletics will continue in South Carolina. Governor McMaster has already made it clear that he will not be issuing any new "lockdowns" or shutdowns. So that, in itself, tells you once things open back up, they are happening. With summer workouts to start next week and our state still only with 400 current hopitalized from COVID-19, we will continue to move forward. People need to remember that the lockdowns/shutting school down/etc were based on models that projected north of 5,000 hospitalized at a given time and our medical facilities being over-run. In reality, we have been about about 8% of that. Despite more testing, our hospital numbers are not growing. That is because as we do more testing, we are getting proof to what we anticipated, that the virus was much more prevalent that we thought in the community and much less lethal. Everyday that we see cases in the two hundreds only takes the death percentage down. The CDC now estimates a mortality rate of .4%, which is 4 deaths for every 1,000 people that have the disease. Those numbers pale in comparison to initial projections of 5-10% mortality rates. Now, 10 weeks later, we know the dangers of the disease and can test and manage it. THAT is why things are opening and will continue to open.
With that said, it is likely we will have some kind of attendance restrictions at football games, of all levels, in the fall. Best guess is 50% capacity. Also, it is likely student athletes will sign a waiver (which will now include infections) to play high school sports. Waivers are never iron clad legal documents, but they make it much more difficult to successfully sue someone.
McMaster is an idiot........he has no idea what he will be dealing with moving forward and certainly no idea if we will face another shutdown........his statement clearly showed his ignorance..........