Wando head coach has Stepped down

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Re: Wando head coach has Stepped down

Post by Penguin »

Jimmy Noonan was there and he is a fine coach. Since my early childhood days of going to Moultrie High School games (Wando's pedecessor) neither the Generals nor the Warriors have ever been a factor in football. Than now spans more than 6 decades. Surely they have had coaches good enough to have at least a few relevant seasons during that time period. Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn every now and then. As you said, they have good athletes, they just have no tradition, no history, no successes, to look back at and see how to be successful.

This is why I say that until the attitude in the community changes, and football becomes the number 1 extra-curricular activity, Wando will continue to be a school full of flute tooters.

icoachfb53
No Team Affiliation

Post by icoachfb53 »

It would take something the people of Wondo are not willing to do- hire someone that does something totally different. You need to run the double wing and grind out 3 yards a play and eat clock. You would win and get kids and community excited. You need to hire a Jeff Murdock, Jet Turner or Ken Dockal to run something off the wall that no one runs now and you would have a winner. Of course everyone would scream throw the ball and then winning would no longer be the focus.

wave 80
Summerville Green Wave

Post by wave 80 »

No Fly Zone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:38 am
wave 80 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:16 pm
Wouldn't surprise me if these 2 names don't pop-up.
Jimmy Noonan
Joe Call

Go Wave
Why in the heck would they bring Jimmy Noonan back?
Because Charleston Co isn't going to pay much for a new coach and Noonan
Is the QB coach at Lucy Beckham this Season.
GO WAVE

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

icoachfb53 mentioned Jett Turner in his post above. Haven’t heard much about him since he had to take time off to attend to a medical issue. Does anybody know how he is getting along in his battle?

Justafan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Justafan »

Do_It_Right!!!!! wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:48 pm
How can any teacher/coach afford to live there?
How do you get any assistant coaches to come in with the cost of living and real estate prices through the roof
Yep same floor plan as mine 350 400 k here.is 800 k
In Mt pleasant.
I'm looking at land and a modular in bowman had enough of this stuff lol.
Mt plastic is insane.
All the chick's over there were dressed Hans solo
This morning.
All in white turtlenecks sleeveless vests tight pants and boots 👢
Like clones funniest Damn thing I saw.
Them people ain't right in the head.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

wave 80 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:23 am
No Fly Zone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:38 am
wave 80 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:16 pm
Wouldn't surprise me if these 2 names don't pop-up.
Jimmy Noonan
Joe Call

Go Wave
Why in the heck would they bring Jimmy Noonan back?
Because Charleston Co isn't going to pay much for a new coach and Noonan
Is the QB coach at Lucy Beckham this Season.
Don't be ridiculous. He did an awful job at Wando before. They can't bring him back.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

Penguin wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:59 am
This is why I say that until the attitude in the community changes, and football becomes the number 1 extra-curricular activity, Wando will continue to be a school full of flute tooters.
The community is certainly an issue, but Jimmy Noonan went to Georgetown and stunk there too. The game has passed him by. He wasn't the right fit when they hired him the first time. They absolutely shouldn't hire him for another shot.

Bendig is one of the great assistants that left for a better opportunity that wasn't given to him at Wando. He would be a good hire for them - he's from Mt. Pleasant. He played at Wando. He worked at the school previously and they won the region when he was there last. He makes the most sense.

ShivaBlast
No Team Affiliation

Post by ShivaBlast »

icoachfb53 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:17 am
It would take something the people of Wondo are not willing to do- hire someone that does something totally different. You need to run the double wing and grind out 3 yards a play and eat clock. You would win and get kids and community excited. You need to hire a Jeff Murdock, Jet Turner or Ken Dockal to run something off the wall that no one runs now and you would have a winner. Of course everyone would scream throw the ball and then winning would no longer be the focus.
I agree with icoachfb53: something out of the box is necessary to make change happen. Unfortunately, the double wing or single wing ain't it. You can have 10,000 kids in your school, but if you introduce a boring, one-note offense (however effective it may be), you won't pull those kids out of the hallways. I heard one kid this year tell me he'd rather lose running a spread than win with a boring offense. It's baffling. Maybe something like a flexbone triple or a spread option/read attack? I agree that something needs to be different. With as many kids as Wando has, they should be able to find somebody to run some niche offense that gives d-coordinators headaches over the weekend.

I don't see Wando retreading somebody like Noonan. He's a good coach, but it'll take some time and probably some more solid coordinating years to wipe Georgetown from everyone's memories.

My bet's on the Phillip Simmons head coach. Too many connections there to deny. Although I agree that a lot of lower-A head coaches may jump at the chance at coaching a 5A school, so after the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of prominent names in that hat.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

icoachfb53 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:17 am
I agree this scheme is what they need, but those coaches aren't going to Mt. Pleasant. It's just not happening.

Surfer/linebacker
No Team Affiliation

Post by Surfer/linebacker »

I don’t understand the Wando problem! So many studs walking the halls! Someone give the Wando AD. the telephone number to Goose Creek High! The offensive line coach is a natural winner! Wing T, flex-bone, air raid he coached it all! Winning would come Quickly ask Coach LaPrad , Dr. Brown, are any other head that has used this coach in their programs! You can call Summerville too they would love to have him also!