Afro American Schools

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Re: Afro American Schools

Post by Dave Pickren »

Penguin wrote:In northern Beaufort County we had the Robert Smalls Generals and the St. Helena Eagles. Those 2 schools were merged with the Beaufort High Tidal Wave to become the now, Beaufort High Eagles. The Green and White colors were from Robert Smalls, the Eagles mascot came from St. Helena, and the Beaufort High name came from the Tidal Wave.

If I am not mistaken, the MC Riley High School in Bluffton was known as the Gators.

Thanks
Appreciate the information
Glad you are doing well.

Dave

Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Post by Dave Pickren »

AHS14 wrote:In Abbeville, the school was Josephine Spearman (J.S) Wright High School, think you got it misspelled. The mascot was the Wildcats.
School was on Branch St from the late 50s to 2002, in 70s after integration it became Wright Middle School. In 2002 a new Wright Middle was built on Hwy 71 and the legacy of the school still lives on today.
In fact, in 1971 (first year of full integration in Abbeville County), Abbeville won its first state championship in any sport, the 1971 Class AAA Championship in football.

Believe it or not the source I received the information from also had the misspelling

Thanks for the assist

Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Post by Dave Pickren »

Tigerific wrote:Whittemore Bulldogs in Conway was purple and gold. Conway was green and white. When Whittemore was combined with Conway the gold was added to the school colors. There is lots of memorabilia in the Horry County museum in Conway of Whittemore high. The purple robe the homecoming queen wore is displayed and lots of pictures. You still see people wearing shirts and hats around town. Part of the old high school building is still standing and is now Whittemore Park middle school but was renovated at one time and is now scheduled to be replaced.

Appreciate all the help.
I have been by the school on many occasions.

Dave

YellowJacket99
No Team Affiliation

Post by YellowJacket99 »

Fascinating stuff. I am surprised there weren't more AA schools in Richland County, unless the demographics changed drastically over the decades.

No Team Affiliation

Post by 2767 »

Jefferson High in Aiken County was located in Bath - present day Midland Valley zone.

Mascot was the Eagles.