Someone explain to me this

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Re: Someone explain to me this

Post by eagle93 »

northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
Onion Rings wrote:maybe they offered Porter and he said no

how do you know that these were the 2 finalists?
I know him personally. He was frustrated.
Similar to what you said in a another post 93, why go through all the processes if they were going to give it to liner anyway? Should have just gave it to him from the beginning. Smoke and mirrors for no reason. Not to say I don't like Liner because I do. Anyone that knows liner likes him. That's not the point. The point is to do what's best for the program. I'm not so sure we did that. I'll always cheer for Greenwood and actually hope Liner proves me wrong. But to me Porter would have been the better choice. The numbers back this up. I feel as I know what the real reason is but my post will get deleted so I'll leave at that. Just my 2. GO EAGLES
Well, it is what it is now. I do like Liner. I don't want to send out the wrong message. I believe he will assemble the right coaches and get increased participation from the kids in the community. That will be a huge step in the right direction. He definitely does care about Greenwood football and it's tradition. I will give my full support.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:

Similar to what you said in a another post 93, why go through all the processes if they were going to give it to liner anyway? Should have just gave it to him from the beginning. Smoke and mirrors for no reason. S
Gaffney does it every year when they rehire Jones....too bad we can't see who all applies...

northside knight
Greenwood Eagles

Post by northside knight »

mikey wrote:
northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:

Similar to what you said in a another post 93, why go through all the processes if they were going to give it to liner anyway? Should have just gave it to him from the beginning. Smoke and mirrors for no reason. S
Gaffney does it every year when they rehire Jones....too bad we can't see who all applies...
I always wondered this about y'all. How is it that TL Hanna and Dutch Fork can get these coaches but y'all seem stuck with Dan Jones every year. Was he a former Gaffney player from Gaffney or something? Seems like politics.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

northside knight wrote:
mikey wrote:
northside knight wrote:
eagle93 wrote:

I always wondered this about y'all. How is it that TL Hanna and Dutch Fork can get these coaches but y'all seem stuck with Dan Jones every year. Was he a former Gaffney player from Gaffney or something? Seems like politics.
Yes to both...Politics are what ran Phil Strickland off imo....

Icoachfootball2
No Team Affiliation

Post by Icoachfootball2 »

Maybe they we're worried about Porter always looking for the next good job. I'm sure they feel Liner will stay at Greenwood for a while and bring back some of the Greenwood mystique. And as far as living in the community, I imagine Liner will continue to live in Laurens. The house and land he lives on has been in his wife's family for a long time. Whatever the reason, if people want to be a part of this decision in the future, get a degree in education and become the AD, Principal or Superintendent and you hire the coach.
Good Luck Coach Liner

firezone75
No Team Affiliation

Post by firezone75 »

Sometimes its not about the resume. It might be about the right fit. The right fit is often times more important than a resume. You can miss on both but if the right fit isn't there then you'll be pushing a rope. Maybe it was the interview. Maybe it was the references. Maybe something in their research. Maybe a hunch. Someone in another post assumed that it came down to race. That is short-sighted and unfortunate. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. To automatically go there is sad.

Schools hire guys all the time that they intended to hire before the interview process begins. Its frustrating. Why go through the process if you are just going to hire a certain guy anyway? Because they have to legally...unless...that guy is appointed in as an interim. You have to post the position for a certain number of days and interview folks to satisfy the legal side of things. So, yes, sometimes it is a big dog and pony show. Not saying that this is but, that is how it is done a lot of the times.

ManigoEra
Greenwood Eagles

Post by ManigoEra »

firezone75 wrote:Sometimes its not about the resume. It might be about the right fit. The right fit is often times more important than a resume. You can miss on both but if the right fit isn't there then you'll be pushing a rope. Maybe it was the interview. Maybe it was the references. Maybe something in their research. Maybe a hunch. Someone in another post assumed that it came down to race. That is short-sighted and unfortunate. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. To automatically go there is sad.

Schools hire guys all the time that they intended to hire before the interview process begins. Its frustrating. Why go through the process if you are just going to hire a certain guy anyway? Because they have to legally...unless...that guy is appointed in as an interim. You have to post the position for a certain number of days and interview folks to satisfy the legal side of things. So, yes, sometimes it is a big dog and pony show. Not saying that this is but, that is how it is done a lot of the times.

Whatever you say man. We didn't pick the better head coach numbers wise. That's not debatable. Did we pick the better head coach for Greenwood? I sure hope so! We'll find out soon enough. Liner is the guy now so I gotta be on board. Hopefully he can bring the program back to traditional standards. I'm not getting into the obvious issues that are STILL around today and people are BLIND if they can't see it. I don't want to be sent to the MOD Principal office again :roll:

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Icoachfootball2 wrote:Maybe they we're worried about Porter always looking for the next good job. I'm sure they feel Liner will stay at Greenwood for a while and bring back some of the Greenwood mystique. And as far as living in the community, I imagine Liner will continue to live in Laurens. The house and land he lives on has been in his wife's family for a long time. Whatever the reason, if people want to be a part of this decision in the future, get a degree in education and become the AD, Principal or Superintendent and you hire the coach.
Good Luck Coach Liner
Again. Porter is just trying to get to a school that cares about football. A tradition rich school like Greenwood and he's home. Ain't no maybe in it. I know the guy and have talked to him. Again, Greenville county isn't the place to coach high school football as a career. They don't really care about football. Don't even have middle school programs. Greenville high and Greer are probably the best you're going to get and they still aren't Greenwood when it comes to football support. Greenwood is a storied program. I wish Liner the best too, but you are completely wrong about Porter.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

I dont know what it is about Porter, but he doesnt get jobs. And Lord knows he has seemingly applied for every decent job in SC over the last few years. Maybe he just doesnt interview well, I dont know. But there has to be some reason as to why he seems to fall short in the hiring process.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Deputy wrote:I dont know what it is about Porter, but he doesnt get jobs. And Lord knows he has seemingly applied for every decent job in SC over the last few years. Maybe he just doesnt interview well, I dont know. But there has to be some reason as to why he seems to fall short in the hiring process.
I have my reasons I think why they won't hire him, but it has nothing to do with his personality or ability to coach. He'll land at a storied program eventually. In the mean time I believe he'll continue to fair well at Greenville.