Sad state of fb in Greenville Co

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Re: Sad state of fb in Greenville Co

Post by Deputy »

Haven't seen anything on it, but predictable Greenville County move if true. But then again, who knows why folks make some of the hires they make. Some real head scratchers out there. But a Greenville County school just taking the easiest way out is nothing new.

MrFootball68
Greenwood Eagles

Post by MrFootball68 »

Greenville County will always take the easy road on hiring AD's and coaches, especially FB coaches.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

Now I understand that the coacj at JL Mann has resigned. Doubt too many will be lining up for that job either.

MrFootball68
Greenwood Eagles

Post by MrFootball68 »

The latest hire by JLMann proves this. The parents and booster club folks need to run the principal out. Mann was never great but they are on par with Riverside and dare I say Carolina and Berea are better football jobs.

Sad, Mann hires an AD the gets football then makes this hire for a coach. Greenville county please just cancel FB in the district.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

In reality, I can't imagine Mann had too many, if any, serious candidates that applied for that job. The best they could have probably hoped for was the assistant that had been rolling around for years in GC that just wanted his shot as a HC. I can't see a sitting HC, or any halfway decent coordinator being interested in that job. So I guess they decided just to stay with a familiar voice in the program. Not sure what has happened at Mann. They had some talent over there at one time, and pretty competitive teams. The move into higher classification didn't help, but never thought their program would sink to this level. Looking in the rear view mirror, I bet Mickey Crocker isn't looking so bad to the Parkins Mill crowd that thought he was the only thing keeping them from being an elite program

likeitRnot
Byrnes Rebels

Post by likeitRnot »

I think Mann and Riverside have hired two great coaches! I believe they both will be able to get a couple of more athletes from the other sports program that have not been playing football! You would be amazed to see some of the athletes in these schools! GC does not lack talented athletes! Think both coaches will get the players to play with more effort !

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

likeitRnot wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm
I think Mann and Riverside have hired two great coaches! I believe they both will be able to get a couple of more athletes from the other sports program that have not been playing football! You would be amazed to see some of the athletes in these schools! GC does not lack talented athletes! Think both coaches will get the players to play with more effort !
You can like them all you want, and I liked the previous staffs -- good people, good coaches, worked hard..... but you can train a mule all you want, feed him good, and get him the best veterinary care that money can buy; that mule will come in dead last at the Kentucky Derby.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

True. As I stated earlier in a post, Mann used to have quite a few athletes and fielded competitive teams. I know moving to 5A didn't help them, but the bottom has fallen out. But it does help them that they are in the region with a lot of Greenville County teams. At least that gives them a chance to make the playoffs no matter what.
Williams is in a tough spot at Riverside. Maybe the toughest turnaround job in the state. I think he is a good coach, but Riverside's program is so broken, it only has one option to generate any excitement. Riverside is never going to do much conference wise being stuck in Region 2. And they have trouble even beating some of the other weaker teams from Greenville County in OOC part of schedule. Need to see if they can find some 1A and 2A teams to play. Truthfully, I wouldnt see Riverside currently being able to compete against anybody other than the very worst 3A teams, and 2A and 1A schools.

BallisLife
No Team Affiliation

Post by BallisLife »

Deputy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:07 am
In reality, I can't imagine Mann had too many, if any, serious candidates that applied for that job. The best they could have probably hoped for was the assistant that had been rolling around for years in GC that just wanted his shot as a HC. I can't see a sitting HC, or any halfway decent coordinator being interested in that job. So I guess they decided just to stay with a familiar voice in the program. Not sure what has happened at Mann. They had some talent over there at one time, and pretty competitive teams. The move into higher classification didn't help, but never thought their program would sink to this level. Looking in the rear view mirror, I bet Mickey Crocker isn't looking so bad to the Parkins Mill crowd that thought he was the only thing keeping them from being an elite program

I know for a fact they had atleast 2 coordinators from state semi finalist at the 3A and 4A level and they didn’t even get interviewed.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

I'm actually shocked by that. With Manns recent history, if they didn't even bother to take a look at folks from winning programs, that may say more about their administration than anything. I know there are examples out there where it has worked out, but I have just never believed in promoting from within when the program is in the dumps. It kind of sends a message to the kids that you just took the most convenient path. But as we have all seen many times, Greenville County is often going to be Greenville County.