Someone explain to me this

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Re: Someone explain to me this

Post by Onion Rings »

most do

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:Ok, I'll give my two for what it's worth. As a GHS alum, I had a sort of a knee-jerk reaction to Liner getting hired. I was on board with Porter. After thinking it over, I see where they're trying to go as a program. What better way than to hire someone who knows the Greenwood tradition and expectations. Liner can connect with these kids too. He's one of us. He wants to be here. Yes, his track record isn't as impressive as Porters but it is hard to win at Laurens. They don't have what Greenwood has. No disrespect to Laurens. The 34-35 record has people nervous. Sometimes it's more than just numbers on a resume. Liner has his weaknesses as a coach. What coach doesn't? As long as we hire good assistant coaches to help with his weaknesses we'll be fine. Another positive note for liner is whatever he was doing at Laurens the first couple of years wasn't working so he changed some things and they were successful for their standards. This is something Pippin would not do. He stressed improving roster sizes and game attendance. I give my full support to Chris Liner and the Greenwood High School football program. One final note, Gene Cathcart didn't have any state titles before coming to Greenwood and look what happened. Sometimes all you need is someone to give you a chance. Now I understand Liner is not Cathcart. He'll do things his way and lead his way. But I think we can all be excited that Liner knows what our expectations are and he'll do his very best to get us there. Not just for a paycheck. Greenwood High School and community is in his heart and it's a part of who he is. Go get um coach! Goo Eagles!
I understand why they hired him and I'm definitely pulling for him. It's still Greenwood. My frustration comes from knowing and talking to Porter and knowing the hoops he jumped through just to even get back down here for the interview. He just buried his brother and left DC early to get back down here to interview. If it were me I'd be hot too. Just tell me you plan to hire the other person and be done with it. No hard feelings then. Especially when you asked me to apply.

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

I completely agree eagle93. When you ask someone to apply, to me anyway, you are implying they have a great shot at getting it. When they don't, it comes off as a little shady.

If you have asked someone to apply and then it becomes apparent that they won't be hired, then maybe call them up and let them publicly withdraw from the process

Am sure Liner will do good (bloodlines help, and G'Wood has them), but doubt Porter would ever consider going there in the future (would have been fun to watch though)

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Onion Rings wrote:I completely agree eagle93. When you ask someone to apply, to me anyway, you are implying they have a great shot at getting it. When they don't, it comes off as a little shady.

If you have asked someone to apply and then it becomes apparent that they won't be hired, then maybe call them up and let them publicly withdraw from the process

Am sure Liner will do good (bloodlines help, and G'Wood has them), but doubt Porter would ever consider going there in the future (would have been fun to watch though)
I think some think that I have a problem with Liner. I truly don't. I absolutely want him to succeed just as I have any coach we've had. Just things could've been handled a little differently with Greg. Still, I have no ill will against anyone. Let's make it happen.

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

Greenwood D50 wanted Greg Porter. The district themselves desperately wanted a black head coach at either Emerald or Greenwood.

Sparky Hudson won this battle and got his guy.

DickDickerson79
No Team Affiliation

Post by DickDickerson79 »

Maybe the "powers that be" at Greenwood, like everyone else in the state, knows that Mr. Porter applies for several jobs each year. So his tenure at Greenwood may only last one season. Just a hunch. But when your HC applies for job every year, that's not a very good look.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

DickDickerson79 wrote:Maybe the "powers that be" at Greenwood, like everyone else in the state, knows that Mr. Porter applies for several jobs each year. So his tenure at Greenwood may only last one season. Just a hunch. But when your HC applies for job every year, that's not a very good look.
I've explained a trillion times in here that Greenville county isn't the place for a football coach who wants to achieve great heights. No coach who is a strong football coach stays in Greenville county to coach as it doesn't support football. Doesn't even have middle school programs. I'd look too. He wants to be at a football school. Read the previous posts. He would NOT leave a school that is a football school. You don't know him don't try to put words in his mouth or anyone's mouth for that matter. I know where he's coming from because I talk to him.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

And again Mr Dickerson. They, Greenwood asked him to apply as did I. He didn't just choose to apply out of the blue.

DickDickerson79
No Team Affiliation

Eagle93, has that been confirmed that "they" asked him to apply? Was that "they" someone making the decisions or just someone in the district making a call that has no decision making power at all? Just wondering.

DickDickerson79
No Team Affiliation

And how do you know "I don't know him?"