Int be returned out of endzone??

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
mystikul
Central Eagles

Int be returned out of endzone??

Post by mystikul »

Can an interception be returned out of the endzone? Refs called it a touch back.

#1cyclonefan
Chester Cyclones

Re: Int be returned out of endzone??

Post by #1cyclonefan »

The same thing happened tonight in the Chester vs FFC game.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

:? Interesting. I was about to say, "Yes". But maybe SCHSL rules are different.

#1cyclonefan
Chester Cyclones

Post by #1cyclonefan »

I was told the ref blew the whistle inverted so that’s why they put the ball at the 20 of the Chester vs FFC game. So I’m not sure of the rule either.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

yes

lws55
No Team Affiliation

Post by lws55 »

No you can not return a ball if you intercept it in the endzone. It is placed on the 20

steven4usc
No Team Affiliation

Post by steven4usc »

You can absolutely run the ball out of the end zone after an interception. If an official blows his/her whistle inadvertently, then the defense has the option of taking a touchback (ball placed on the 20-yard line) or replaying the down. After an inadvertent whistle the ball becomes dead and if the defense is in possession of the ball in the opponents end zone the results of the play is a touchback. Now kicks are a different matter, if a kick breaks the plane of the receivers goal line, the ball becomes dead and the results of the play is a touchback (no return is possible).

lws55
No Team Affiliation

Post by lws55 »

I spoke with a Ref last night just to make sure. In High School Football you can not return an Interception if it is caught in the endzone. If the player intercepts the pass outside the endzone and his momentum carries him into the endzone he can return it, but if it is intercepted in the endzone it is a touchback.

steven4usc
No Team Affiliation

Post by steven4usc »

I don’t know the official you talked to but he’s very mistaken. The NFHS rules are clear when the defense intercepts a forward pass the ball remains live and can be returned from any point on the field including the end zone.