Imma leave this right here...

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Imma leave this right here...

Post by Noble Savage »

My father was Black, my mother was Decker
Believe me my friend, it doesn't get any better
Than rack and pinion reasoning, add a little seasoning
Cook at ninety-eight point six degrees!!

Martian
No Team Affiliation

Re: Imma leave this right here...

Post by Martian »

Interesting discussion for sure.
The Great Gazoo has spoken!

lws55
No Team Affiliation

Post by lws55 »

You can say you don't recruit but you also get to hand pick who goes to your school and who doesn't and that in a sense is recruiting. You can tell a kid with an IEP or a 504 that they can not attend your school and you can make up what ever reason you want. You don't have to take a kid who has been kicked out of 3 other schools into your school simply because he moved in your district.

For a parent that is very appealing. When you are reading in the paper about schools on lock down because a fight breaks out in a classroom or the cafeteria then a charter school will seem very appealing, and if those things did happen at a place like Gray, guess what? Those kids would be out of the school. No protest, no appeal, just gone.

The Gray coaches and Admin can hold their heads high and say that they don't recruit, but if my kid is a D1 player and I have a choice between a school where it is sunshine and rainbows vs. a school where you can't go in the bathroom for fear of getting caught in a drug deal or worse, and if knowing that my kid was a D1 type of kid and that would all but guarantee his entrance into the Sunshine and Rainbow school, I think it is obvious where I would go

WhoDat
No Team Affiliation

Post by WhoDat »

Yeah I’m sick of the double standard with people crying about Charter/Private schools on one hand and on the other hand certain public schools have done the exact same thing if not worse.

At this point the state would do a better job of running things than the incompetence displayed by the SCHSL.

This good ole boy system between the SCHSL and SCFCA is beyond repair. It’s a who can get what cush retirement cake job to pad your salary to do nothing.

Sure similar comments could be said about the government being the good ole boy system as well, however tax dollars going to a “non-profit” with high revenue and no accountability for their leadership to answer to is led us to the mess we’re in now.
Couldn’t find a meter, but here’s 4 bucks!

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

Not sure how you handle this really. Does Gray recruit? Maybe not directly, but it is done. They aren’t as innocent as they claim in the news piece. But then again, if you don’t think that recruiting in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Columbia areas doesn’t exist, then folks are just ignoring the obvious. But at Gray, and some charter and private schools, it hits different. David Bennett was on SC Sports Talk a couple weeks ago and made a good point. It was about the percentage of the student body that participate in athletics at public schools versus a school like Gray. The difference is astonishing. Almost everybody that attends Gray plays a sport. That isn’t true at your normal public high school. In 2A that makes a heck of a difference. Maybe there is some way they could classify them based on that percentage. I don’t know. Gray went to Gaffney last year, and just about beat them. Come on. Bump them up to 5A, or at least 4A. Or create their own classification for those type of schools.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Other than "OBVIOUS" signs, if anyone had real proof, it should be taken to the SCHSL....

But it doesn't. I don't know if any coach does any recruiting but I do know that parents move their children for many different reasons and athletics is just one of them. This post has someone admitting that they would send their child to the charter school if it was an option. Here is another one, I'd help move my grandchild to a charter school for baseball, academics, safety, and other reasons. No one "recruited" me to do that....

I think we are quick to use recruiting and blame it on coach recruiting because it is easier than admitting that they are just using the options available to them that are not available to us in the public school. Is it fair? No, I don't think it is fair; however, it is what it is based on current rules. For those who are "SURE" that coaches are recruiting; I go back to my opening statement: if you have anything other than those thoughts that "they have to be cheating" then I encourage you to report them to the SCHSL. I have none. I know of a few people that moved to the Duncan area to play for Byrnes in the 2000-2010 era and I heard stories of how coaches got them jobs at BMW (and anyone from BWM knows that is pure lies) and I'm sure the folks at Dutch Fork hear that all the time as well. But we hear folks admit that they would move their child all the time....

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

I'm not sure how or where the guy got this info but it was posted on another FB page. He also claims he has the names of students, the sport they are playing and positions at GCA. Yes, it goes on everywhere. Yes, the academics, small setting, no time filler classes, etc. are appealing. I think the problem with the GCA folks are they want to say everyone is dog piling on them out one side of their mouth and out the other side they're pumping "Big Gray this and that." I remember this all really jumped off during basketball. A guy commented that his whole rural community only had a kid a little over 6'5, GCA has 4-5 of them or taller LOL! Anyway, like another poster commented it's about percentages. Take my old school for example, Berea, they were bumped to 4A and have no business being there. It's a totally different culture there than it used to be. Out of their whole student body only 25-30% play sports. That's like having 4A numbers with 2A teams. Sure, they can get a kid or two but a place like GCA can get 3 or 4 of everyone's best or better players. Idk what the solution is...
IMG_1689.jpg

WhoDat
No Team Affiliation

Post by WhoDat »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:27 am
Other than "OBVIOUS" signs, if anyone had real proof, it should be taken to the SCHSL....

But it doesn't. I don't know if any coach does any recruiting but I do know that parents move their children for many different reasons and athletics is just one of them. This post has someone admitting that they would send their child to the charter school if it was an option. Here is another one, I'd help move my grandchild to a charter school for baseball, academics, safety, and other reasons. No one "recruited" me to do that....

I think we are quick to use recruiting and blame it on coach recruiting because it is easier than admitting that they are just using the options available to them that are not available to us in the public school. Is it fair? No, I don't think it is fair; however, it is what it is based on current rules. For those who are "SURE" that coaches are recruiting; I go back to my opening statement: if you have anything other than those thoughts that "they have to be cheating" then I encourage you to report them to the SCHSL. I have none. I know of a few people that moved to the Duncan area to play for Byrnes in the 2000-2010 era and I heard stories of how coaches got them jobs at BMW (and anyone from BWM knows that is pure lies) and I'm sure the folks at Dutch Fork hear that all the time as well. But we hear folks admit that they would move their child all the time....
Who’s to say that things haven’t been reported to the SCHSL, yet because of a school’s “status” they are given a get out of jail free card so that it “doesn’t look bad on the organization or state.”

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

WhoDat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:05 am
Who’s to say that things haven’t been reported to the SCHSL, yet because of a school’s “status” they are given a get out of jail free card so that it “doesn’t look bad on the organization or state.”
Well, maybe I'm a "glass half full" type, but I don't see the SCHSL:

1) being able to keep non action secret, someone would be talking to the press to become "famous"

2) caring enough to worry how it looks to anyone

3) able to refrain from punishing a coach caught red handed, especially a "high profile" program. It would prove how fair and "equal treatment" they were.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

WhoDat
No Team Affiliation

Post by WhoDat »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:51 am
WhoDat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:05 am
Well, maybe I'm a "glass half full" type, but I don't see the SCHSL:

1) being able to keep non action secret, someone would be talking to the press to become "famous"

2) caring enough to worry how it looks to anyone

3) able to refrain from punishing a coach caught red handed, especially a "high profile" program. It would prove how fair and "equal treatment" they were.
lol well obviously you haven’t followed the SCHSL long enough because that’s exactly what they have done in the past and looks like they are continuing to do.

The SCHSL and SCFCA only cares about that good ole boy system and if you’re in that select crowd of frat boys then you don’t have anything to worry about.