Daniel vs J.L. Mann

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
stretch
Daniel Lions

Daniel vs J.L. Mann

Post by stretch »

After a hard fought win last week my Lions head up I-85 to take on J.L. Mann for the first time since 2004.

Daniel comes in to the game 2-0, both wins we were clicking on offense putting up over 40 and I still believe they have room to get even better as a group and that will be very dangerous later in the season. Defense had their problems last week, giving up 500+ yards is not acceptable, but they stood tall when it mattered most and I believe the coaches will be able to help correct their mistakes from last week.

Mann comes into the game 1-1 with their win over Midland Valley 56-0 and their loss to Gaffney 42-40 in OT. They have a good group of players on offense and they got to go up against good competition in Gaffney and took them to OT so they will definitely be a tough game for my Lions.

I’m expecting this one to be a shootout, I think our defense is gonna have to steal a possession for us to try and get a leg up but it’s gonna be a game where the team who scores last will likely be the winner.
Go Daniel Lions!!

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Re: Daniel vs J.L. Mann

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Lions give up 500+ yards this week and it will get ugly. Mann is not a team to quit. Didn’t see any video on the game but if Stratford had 500 yards on DWD it wasn’t because of their complex, mature offensive scheme- haven’t been known for their offense in a long time. Maybe speed plays an issue- not sure but if that’s it Mann won’t be any slower is my guess. Can’t coach speed but you can coach to mitigate it. Ole Rooster needs to find his defense. I suspect Manns defense will be considerably better than Chapman or Stratford.

Fear The Fox…

Chief Whoa
Gaffney Indians

Post by Chief Whoa »

Mann won’t quit but we had a few plarers out with injury and already aren’t the deepest team this year so I don’t think you can count Daniel out. I just hope Coach Fruster warns his team not to talk trash back to Mann because they are mouthy and someone will retaliate and it will cost them a game eventually. It is like Mann is the Dutch Fork of the upper state except they haven’t ever won anything! I wish this game was on a Thursday or a Saturday because I’d love to see it!
284 INDIANS GAMES IN A ROW AND COUNTING!

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Chief Whoa wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:22 pm
Mann won’t quit but we had a few plarers out with injury and already aren’t the deepest team this year so I don’t think you can count Daniel out. I just hope Coach Fruster warns his team not to talk trash back to Mann because they are mouthy and someone will retaliate and it will cost them a game eventually. It is like Mann is the Dutch Fork of the upper state except they haven’t ever won anything! I wish this game was on a Thursday or a Saturday because I’d love to see it!
…looks like the Injuns are the Dutch Fork of the Upstate after Friday night… lol

Fear The Fox…

Chief Whoa
Gaffney Indians

Post by Chief Whoa »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:30 pm
Chief Whoa wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:22 pm
…looks like the Injuns are the Dutch Fork of the Upstate after Friday night… lol

Fear The Fox…
Thanks. Our guys still have some mistakes to clean up but I guess we all do this early in the season. I hope you didn’t take my Dutch Fork comment negatively. I just meant they have some swagger and did the chop at us after the game last season. Coach Knotts may handle it at practice. I know he does for unforced penalties like false starts, etc. We came back through Cowpens Friday and I kept checking the Dutch Fork / Spartan High score on X and had been since we left Greenville and the last update was weather delay an hour earlier and as we got closer I said that’s why and they probably won’t finish this game. I wish we could still play DF as crazy as it sounds but it is what it is…
284 INDIANS GAMES IN A ROW AND COUNTING!

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

Hard to get a read on this game. I feel like comparing Daniel to Gaffney, Daniel has the better offense and Gaffney has the better defense. Don’t know if we will be able to put pressure on the qb like Gaffney did. I liked how they were blitzing off the edge on the blindside all night . That’s something we don’t do. Special teams is a push I feel like. Both teams have excellent kickers although Daniels kicker puts it in the end zone on kickoffs 90% of the time.
That negates their return game. Will be interesting. I think Daniel has to get up early to win plus I think Mann has a bad taste in their mouth after last week.

stretch
Daniel Lions

Post by stretch »

Lions lose 28-23. I was proud of the fight we put up down the stretch it was 28-10 at one point and we had a shot at the end. Play calling and OL play was the killer at the end but we won’t have to face a team that is good as this team until the playoffs. We get an off week next week and then we gotta pick it back up for Clinton coming to town.
Go Daniel Lions!!

8timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 8timechamps »

stretch wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:08 pm
Lions lose 28-23. I was proud of the fight we put up down the stretch it was 28-10 at one point and we had a shot at the end. Play calling and OL play was the killer at the end but we won’t have to face a team that is good as this team until the playoffs. We get an off week next week and then we gotta pick it back up for Clinton coming to town.
I was proud of the boys for fighting. Kind of couldn’t tell if we should’ve lost by 21 or won by 14 type of game. Definitely had a chance at the end. Going down 21-3 to start the game put us in a hole that is almost impossible to climb out of against a team that was clearly physically superior
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

stretch wrote:
Good win by Mann aka the Greenville county alll stars.
Daniel coaching staff let their team down tonight.
Poor decision not kicking the ball in the end zone cost them 21 points. Poor use of timeouts. Last drive with 5 to go Daniel had it 1st and 10 at their 28 by running the ball and decided to start throwing getting sacked twice .
46 game regular season win streak snapped
17 game and states longest win streak snapped
Oh well 2nd loss this decade.
We will be better at the end of the year because of this game.

8timechamps
Daniel Lions

Post by 8timechamps »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:43 pm
stretch wrote:
Good win by Mann aka the Greenville county alll stars.
Daniel coaching staff let their team down tonight.
Poor decision not kicking the ball in the end zone cost them 21 points. Poor use of timeouts. Last drive with 5 to go Daniel had it 1st and 10 at their 28 by running the ball and decided to start throwing getting sacked twice .
46 game regular season win streak snapped
17 game and states longest win streak snapped
Oh well 2nd loss this decade.
We will be better at the end of the year because of this game.
Hard to blame on the coaches when Mann is 10x more physically talented and we lose by 5.. Coaching and scheme is the only reason we didn’t lost by 45 tonight in my opinion... Talent wise we didn’t belong on the same field.. Usually agree with your take, but can’t blame tonight on the coaches when coaching is the only reason it was close at all. Some questionable decisions, specifically with timeouts but coaching is the only reason Daniel doesn’t get boat raced out of the stadium tonight (and in a lot of their bigger games)

Those two sacks are bad, but if get the 2 point conversation that’s wide open the drive before (coaching had it wide open), then all we need is a field goal at the end and we are having a whole different conversation about the coaching staff
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!