York@Greenwood for the Upper State Title Round 3

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

York@Greenwood for the Upper State Title Round 3

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

I know it's not called the "upper state title" anymore but that's the terminology I like to use. York will be a tough customer as always. They always seem to have great athletes and Bobby Carroll will have them coached up for sure. As for Greenwood, WOW just WOW. WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of schedule. Who would have thought my Eagles would still be in the playoffs for Thanksgiving weekend after the terrible start. I mean we were literally were a bad football team only due to all the new things but we couldn’t even get a shotgun snap off! The Eagles have come a mighty long way. My hats off to the coaches!!! Greenwood always has the athletes. Pippin and staff have done a tremendous job in their first year. The sky is the limit for Pippin and the Eagles. It’s also great to be back at home at J.W. Babb. (Thank you River Bluff). It’s definitely a treat for me because I only get to see my Eagles 1-3 times a year due to living in the ATL. They key thing for the Greenwood wins late in the season I think has a LOT to do with the Eagle D. A lot of folks are over looking that. Greenwood is on an 8 game winning streak. During this streak the Eagle defense is averaging giving up 7 points a game. So far in the playoffs, The Greenwood defense has given up NOTHING. The 6 points Laurens scored was from an offensive turnover.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Re: York@Greenwood for the Upper State Title Round 3

Post by eagle93 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:I know it's not called the "upper state title" anymore but that's the terminology I like to use. York will be a tough customer as always. They always seem to have great athletes and Bobby Carroll will have them coached up for sure. As for Greenwood, WOW just WOW. WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of schedule. Who would have thought my Eagles would still be in the playoffs for Thanksgiving weekend after the terrible start. I mean we were literally were a bad football team only due to all the new things but we couldn’t even get a shotgun snap off! The Eagles have come a mighty long way. My hats off to the coaches!!! Greenwood always has the athletes. Pippin and staff have done a tremendous job in their first year. The sky is the limit for Pippin and the Eagles. It’s also great to be back at home at J.W. Babb. (Thank you River Bluff). It’s definitely a treat for me because I only get to see my Eagles 1-3 times a year due to living in the ATL. They key thing for the Greenwood wins late in the season I think has a LOT to do with the Eagle D. A lot of folks are over looking that. Greenwood is on an 8 game winning streak. During this streak the Eagle defense is averaging giving up 7 points a game. So far in the playoffs, The Greenwood defense has given up NOTHING. The 6 points Laurens scored was from an offensive turnover.
The defense is in a mission. The whole team is. They lacked confidence early in the season from everything that was going wrong. Since confidence returned, they've looked good. Kudos to Pippin and staff for getting personnel in the right spots and staying the course.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Congrats to the eagles! You guys always have justification for confidence and pride in your program. Good luck Friday!
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

DeCav wrote:Congrats to the eagles! You guys always have justification for confidence and pride in your program. Good luck Friday!
As always, thanks for the kind words DeCav. We'll see what we can do Friday. Hopefully we'll also see what we can do in Cola ;)

uknowit
No Team Affiliation

Post by uknowit »

One would figure Greenwood defense is solid. York can pass. If Greenwood has the DBs to run with Yorks wideouts they can have a good night. On the other side of the ball, if Greenwood has a good power running game, York is in trouble. They have plenty of speed on the back end, but between the tackles they are light and can be hammered. Despite a huge advantage in speed, River Bluff about beat them. And did it mostly by pounding the football. Difference was a punt return where a flagrant block in the back wasn't called that sprang the returner. Still at that RB had the ball at Yorks 20 with a minute and a half remaining. And they stayed in the game by hammering the ball between the tackles which York couldn't stop. I figure Greenwood has better athletes than RB, so I will go with Greenwood in this one.