Hartsville vs. Dillon

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Re: Hartsville vs. Dillon

Post by bringthewood »

Looks like we have another keyboard Coryell......

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

Post by PeeDeeFootballFan »

Don’t know what that means but I do know bad football when I see it. I may have a little more experience than you. Last night was supposed to be a game between two of the best teams in the state. While it was entertaining because of the lead changes it wasn’t good football. Neither team can tackle and I guess if you like watching inside zone run over and over for 10 yards a carry with neither side making any defensive adjustments then it was really interesting. I anticipate both of those teams will run into a coaching staff in the playoffs who watches film and adjusts defensively to take the run game away since both teams are completely one dimensional. Then everyone will be surprised that they lost to a “less physically talented” team. It’s common sense, not rocket science. But if that makes me a keyboard whatever than I’m guilty I guess. Crestwood showed they can play defense last night against a very good team, that will make a difference in the playoffs. Same will be true in 4A as with results from last night none of the wins on these teams’ schedules so far are even remotely impressive and they very clearly also can’t stop anyone with any level of toughness. Watch the games or film. It isn’t that hard.

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

Dillon may have scored 100 if they would have thrown the seam route because it was open every time and even when they completed it twice Hartsville never rolled their zone that way in the same formations. Along with that their linebackers never got any depth in their zones to make it even a remotely difficult throw. Funny thing was Dillon never took advantage of that. Seemed like despite the offers they have zero confidence in their QB to make a difference in a game. Regardless, as I said, if relying solely on athletic ability is the approach, I doubt either team will make much noise in the playoffs because a Gilbert or a Crestwood in 3A and a South Florence or a AC Flora in 4A will come in with a plan against a one dimensional team. Honestly, I would not be surprised to see Irmo beat Hartsville by 30 next week. Dillon will be fine until the playoffs because of how weak the region is that they play in. Look at what has happened to them the last 6 years when the sledding gets tough in the playoffs even when they weren’t so one dimensional and had a throwing threat.

Mbfootballfan
Myrtle Beach Seahawks

Post by Mbfootballfan »

This is more than my brain can absorb without studying on it for a few days. I hate that zone read play. MB does that all the time. It just seems like a wasted play watching the ball carrier dance around for 2 yards and sometimes worse.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

that's Don Coryell...

Calabrese is one of the best coaches in the state, when he got on board he took on Byrnes back in their hay day b/c he wanted to see how they could match up with the best in the state. To say he doesn't watch film, is too one dimensional, doesn't make adjustments, etc is stand talk.

I can't speak for Dillon since Rider took over, but he's been VERY good in his time.

And how many games have these two teams played?

And how many teams have had a bad punt snap?

And how many teams have had penalties?

And how many teams don't tackle well? Have you watched an NFL game?

And oh I love the 'coaches don't make an adjustment'...... yeah they just stand on the sidelines and spit sunflower seeds....

Real football ain't a video game. You don't coach those kids everyday.

PeeDeeFootballFan
Crestwood Knights

bringthewood wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:57 pm
that's Don Coryell...

Calabrese is one of the best coaches in the state, when he got on board he took on Byrnes back in their hay day b/c he wanted to see how they could match up with the best in the state. To say he doesn't watch film, is too one dimensional, doesn't make adjustments, etc is stand talk.

I can't speak for Dillon since Rider took over, but he's been VERY good in his time.

And how many games have these two teams played?

And how many teams have had a bad punt snap?

And how many teams have had penalties?

And how many teams don't tackle well? Have you watched an NFL game?

And oh I love the 'coaches don't make an adjustment'...... yeah they just stand on the sidelines and spit sunflower seeds....

Real football ain't a video game. You don't coach those kids everyday.
Holy S&$@ bringthewood, I’m not surprised you don’t get it but I’m surprised you are on a forum but don’t get football. So a couple of things. First you come off as some old guy wearing a polo yelling that Calabrese is a legend and no one can question him because of the final outcome of the game. My response to that…I’m a middle aged guy who is usually in a polo but I may have played and later coached at a higher level than you (not on a video game system). No reason someone can’t ask why were things done a certain way. There is watching film, as I expect every coach does, and then another level of that and making adjustments going into a game. Teams rely on HUDL now and don’t scout for tendencies or watch the film with their guys. Once upon a time players used to have to take tests based on formations and tendencies. The coaches can’t put on pads and the players need to know the formations and adjustments pre-game. Anyways enough about that because both teams came in doing what they do consistently (one might say one dimensionally) and no reason either team waited until half time to make any adjustments…although not many were made.

Second, I have no dog in this fight. I have my team who is 3A and they will beat Dillon in the playoffs like the last three teams who have done it because Dillon makes no adjustments. Their own coach says in interviews that they just worry about themselves and not what the opponent does. That hasn’t payed off in the playoffs. Regardless I don’t care about either of these teams besides going to watch what was proposed as a game between two of the best teams in the state. They are two of the best offensive teams in the state based solely on athletic ability. They are not two of the best football teams in the state.

So let me address your pedestrian questions:

How many games have they played? Well Hartsville played three games going into this game. They beat Conway 55-7. Conway is a AA or AAA JV football team. Enough said. Hartsville beat Darlington 55-26. Darlington is a much improved team and has a lot of athletic talent. They will be very good in the future. However as anyone who understands HS football knows, that game was over before it started because the kids looked at the names and recent history of both teams. It was an easy game for Hartsville because of the past. Then they beat Camden in a big blowout. The score was shocking at first…but then look at this weekend. Camden lost big to Grey who was in a shootout with Crestwood. Crestwood beat Sumter this weekend. Bottom line, Camden isn’t that good and not as physical as in the past. They do have great coaches though and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them figure it out going forward. But right now Camden isn’t a good football team so that victory doesn’t look so great either.

Ok now to Dillon, they won 2 games coming in. I won’t waste time, they beat Lamar and Wilson. Go check out where those two teams are right now. Easy wins and not by as much as they should have been if Dillon didn’t have some issues. Not like Dillon played their JV guys the whole second half. Wilson was 7-7 at half. Wilson is terrible at football this year.

Second question, lots of teams have mistakes whether on special teams or other times. Punter should have kicked the ball out of the endzone or picked it up at the 2 and ran into the endzone on the second one for a safety instead of downing it at the 2 for an easy TD for Hartsville. Mistake on special teams, but not game ending. Wouldn’t have mattered ultimately because Dillon couldn’t stop the run on the exact same play by Hartsville the entire second half…(maybe why I am saying zero adjustments). Hartsville ran the same play maybe 20 times in a row for big yards. Dillon made zero adjustment coaching and the players were unable to diagnose it and make an adjustment on their own. That happens on JV, but not in a game between 2 of the best teams in the state. After 20 or so plays Hartsville just ran the counter (trap not just counter because it was to the opposite side) to the other side which should have had to be done well before and prepared for by Dillon. It was obvious to everyone. The only thing more surprising if they needed more yards was that they didn’t fake the inside zone and throw a screen to the opposite side.

Third question, every team has penalties. Disciplined and well coached teams limit them. They especially understand the game situation and don’t get penalties like unsportsman conduct in key situations or delay of game penalties in key situations like in the red zone or deep in their own territory on offense. I won’t cite the exact penalties but those things did change the game. Go back and watch the game tape. Holding penalties happen all the time. Bad decision or penalties for being unprepared for the situation (clearly playing to punt inside your 10 without the punt team ready) are coaching/preparation mistakes.

Fourth question; lots of NFL players don’t tackle well. They are highly athletic and depend on a hit without wrapping. I don’t compare NFL teams/players to HS teams/players. Anyone who does doesn’t understand the levels of the game and the teaching that must occur at each level. Coaches don’t coach the same way in the NFL as they do in HS. Well coached teams at the MS/HS level tackle well because it is a fundamental. They are coaching coverages and schemes but the bulk of that level coaching is transitioning from the fundamentals to the finer points of the game. If your team isn’t doing the fundamentals right you have to work those over and over while also spending extra time on the scheme after practice through film study. I agree that most of the time you have the athletes already or find them and just play them because tackling should be there by that time in a football career. However, if it isn’t, then you recognize that and correct it very quickly. If you can’t wrap and tackle then you can’t play varsity football. I’ll take the 145lb kid who can wrap and tackle with absolute certainty over the 255lb kid with stars from a camp that can’t play the game. Well let me restate that…I will do that if I want to build a program that can win championships. If I want to just get kids recruited…well then I wouldn’t coach a team. I’d go charge dumb parents an arm and a leg as a personal coach who gets kids recruited. That’s a whole mother story. See the Dillon QB vs the Crestwood QB.

Last point, which I could not agree with more, coaching football isn’t a video game. I don’t play video games. I’m probably a little older than you. Coaching is a lot more than that. It’s being involved in these kids lives. It’s making sure they are prepared to become men and to succeed academically, physically, and personally. It’s a ton for work and I respect it. But it’s also watching film at a different level and coming in with a plan for an individual team you face. It’s what you get paid to do. It used to happen in person…now it’s HUDL. Hartsville made some defensive adjustments at half but I don’t think as many as the final score reflected. Look back to your own comment about special team snaps. Dillon made zero offensive adjustments, probably didn’t think they had too based on the score at half. They certainly didn’t make any adjustments on defense at half or after the first drive of the second half. That was the difference in the game.

Again, I had no dog or cat in the fight. I watched the game because it was supposed to be a game between two of the best teams in the state. That wasn’t two of the best teams in the state. They could be going forward, but not with that level of adjustment and football IQ. It was very good athletes (Dillon) playing pretty good athletes (Hartsville) and some level of adjustment/figuring it out on the field and momentum making a difference in the final outcome. Hopefully everyone learned from the game from coaches going on it in crazy 4th down situations to coaches going for 2 when it wasn’t necessary to coaches not going for it on 4th down when it was completely warranted by down/distance/time, to really badly used timeouts early in halves. All decisions that are tough to make in the timeline to be made. It isn’t easy to do and you have to be prepared for those situations. That takes place during the week, not Friday night. Lastly hopefully the kids learn to read their keys, fill the right gap, and physically make a tackle. If reading keys/recognition isn’t being taught then it I’m really is just a match of who has the better athletes.

I think some teams are out there (Crestwood, BC, Gilbert, South Florence, Irmo, maybe even West Florence in 4A) who before the end of the season won’t have these deficiencies and will impact the playoff picture because they will have a plan for athletic teams. So that’s all I’m saying. I’m sure all these coaches are pretty good, but there is different levels to being a good coach. Both these teams have a bright future ahead but it is gonna take some work and I’d put Crestwood ahead of Dillon right now and after this weekend I think you’ll see Irmo and Sourh Florence are way ahead of Hartsville athletically. Hartsville will have to close that gap through football IQ and early adjustments.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Yeah, I don't get football........ okay......

I HAVE NOT seen either team this year, but I have seen them over MANY years and know what they are capable of being. You have seen them this year, so your eyes are what they are.

As my to my questions, what teams are doing now have little to do with what they want/try to be come real football season -- region play. Much of that is based on who they schedule and what they show/exhibit in the preseason/not region play. Many teams are still trying to figure who they will be then.

There isn't a Big 16/points system anymore. Look at who say a Byrnes schedules now as opposed to 10-12 years ago. So programs schedule who they want for them where they are.

Yeah, I'm an old guy, but I'm seldom in a Polo. I doubt you've had more football than me, but you might. I know how to work film.

There's nothing wrong with questioning football, but the best teams don't worry about the opponent as much they worry about who they are.

Thanks for the detailed response. As for my pedestrian questions, you made my point.

Have a great day.

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Sounds like a very excited Crestwood fan. Didn’t they lose a track meet too. rhetorical
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions