Portal(GA) -vs- Gray Collegiate, Columbia forfeits!!!!

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Portal(GA) -vs- Gray Collegiate, Columbia forfeits!!!!

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

From the looks of it, COLUMBIA decided to forfeit rather than play Gray just like Eau Clair did las week. There were rumors going around that would be happening this season and they are showing a game against a Georgia team.

This will get things going in the SCHSL offices.

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -
If people loved me
like my dog loves me,
I'd be much better off!

Greerfan1
Greer Yellow Jackets

Re: Portal(GA) -vs- Gray Collegiate, Columbia forfeits!!!!

Post by Greerfan1 »

WOW! Didn't think the forfeits would actually happen...

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Greerfan1 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 pm
WOW! Didn't think the forfeits would actually happen...
These teams need to give their balls a tug and man up. You don't see Chapin running from the whuppin's they've been getting from DF over the past several seasons. They take them, heads held high...the water is still warm enough in Lake Murray they can ride their jet skis and forget all about it on Saturday morning...ha.

Come on people.

Fear The Fox...

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

I disagree with the idea that it is the same thing that Chapin faces. Gray recruits and the other schools can't... Wait, it may be the same thing, my bad!

JUST KIDDING!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!

I believe it is different situation than what faces Chapin. Those schools have decided that their only option to get this discussion moving forward is to take action and that is what they have done. It has nothing to do with "manning up", it is about an unfair advantage that Gray has over the other schools that almost everyone agrees needs to be addressed and some kind of action taken.

I personally don't think the answer is to move them up a classification as that only moves the problem but doesn't offer any answers. I think this is very similar to re-alignment and the transfer portal in NCAA Football in that, it is not going away any time soon and it has to be addressed. The only answer that seems to work in other areas is separate classifications for these types of schools. There are only two getting the attention right now, but they are laying the groundwork for another one here in the Upstate, just outside of Spartanburg/Boiling Springs/Inman and I'm sure the same issues will come up here soon after it opens. I'm sure there are others on the drawing board in other areas, like near Myrtle Beach.

If people loved me
like my dog loves me,
I'd be much better off!

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

According to the stories I've read, here is the building that is the future school in the upstate....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2 ... ?entry=ttu

If people loved me
like my dog loves me,
I'd be much better off!

Noble Savage
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by Noble Savage »

Didn't the SCHSL make Christ Church play up a classification or 2 for a couple of years?
"I have a hammer, a box of nails
Two M80s' and punk sticks
My uncle's favorite Farrah Fawcett lighter
A Schwinn hurricane with BMX grips"

BBurg_Wildcat 22
Blacksburg Wildcats

Post by BBurg_Wildcat 22 »

Noble Savage wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:57 am
Didn't the SCHSL make Christ Church play up a classification or 2 for a couple of years?
Christ Church, St. Joe's and Southside Christian played in 2a for a few years. They were in our conference, but they didn't go any higher. They were all dropped back down in the last realignment to 1a.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

BBurg_Wildcat 22 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:32 am
Noble Savage wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:57 am
Christ Church, St. Joe's and Southside Christian played in 2a for a few years. They were in our conference, but they didn't go any higher. They were all dropped back down in the last realignment to 1a.
And it was all by the numbers, not for "competitive balance"

If people loved me
like my dog loves me,
I'd be much better off!

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:51 pm
I disagree with the idea that it is the same thing that Chapin faces. Gray recruits and the other schools can't... Wait, it may be the same thing, my bad!

JUST KIDDING!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!

I believe it is different situation than what faces Chapin. Those schools have decided that their only option to get this discussion moving forward is to take action and that is what they have done. It has nothing to do with "manning up", it is about an unfair advantage that Gray has over the other schools that almost everyone agrees needs to be addressed and some kind of action taken.

I personally don't think the answer is to move them up a classification as that only moves the problem but doesn't offer any answers. I think this is very similar to re-alignment and the transfer portal in NCAA Football in that, it is not going away any time soon and it has to be addressed. The only answer that seems to work in other areas is separate classifications for these types of schools. There are only two getting the attention right now, but they are laying the groundwork for another one here in the Upstate, just outside of Spartanburg/Boiling Springs/Inman and I'm sure the same issues will come up here soon after it opens. I'm sure there are others on the drawing board in other areas, like near Myrtle Beach.
From my experience, life is not always fair. This is a reflection of our current society from my perspective. Everyone wants us to play to a tie and not keep score- everyone gets a participation trophy. See that in the playoffs, where the vast majority of the teams make the playoffs. My solution there is add an extra regular season game and only region champ and runner up goes. This is the playoffs. We shouldn't have a rash of 56-0 playoff games in the first round.

We have a private school league, but SCISA does not have the resources of say a NC, Georgia, Florida or Tennessee independent league so I understand schools like Gray, Oceanside, and even CC, SCA and SJA not wanting to play SCISA- outside of Hammond, the cupboard is kinda bare there and no real competition. Playing through adversity does build character. There is a line from a poem General Douglas MacArthur wrote for his son, that goes..."Build me a son whose wishbone won't be where his backbone should be." So yes, they need to give their balls a tug, perhaps two.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. Play Gray...you may lose, and may lose badly, but you learn more from losses than victories, that is for certain. (DF is having to experience that this season!)- Gray and Oceanside's status hasn't swayed teams like Saluda or Abbeville, and I am shocked it swayed Fairfield. They have a stellar tradition there and should never back away...ever. Without a doubt, this is the administration's preference, and not the players. They want to see the best and play the best. Allow them that privilege. Man Up.

Fear The Fox...

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

I am tired of hearing about it. If they have an enrollment of that of a 2a school and the 2a schools are scared to play them move them up to 3a and let’s see what they do against Daniel and bhp Dillon and those big name schools